Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Announcements
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2017, 08:09 PM   #51
jj5
Registered Member

I've never been to a show like this. 3 hours from L.I. Really looking forward it. Sure hope the wife gives a little something extra in the allowance that week. Oh and the secret reef stash...Shhhhh don't tell.

jj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 05:44 PM   #52
fitch4
Registered Member

It is definitely worth a 3 hr ride. With 60+ coral vendors and a bunch of companies as well, it is easily the biggest show in the Northeast. Everyone that comes out, comes back. The only thing that people regret is not bringing enough $...

fitch4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 07:09 PM   #53
fitch4
Registered Member

Just added:
San Francisco Bay Brand to the growing list of companies that will be at the FFM this year. Welcome aboard!

Unread 02/15/2017, 10:42 PM   #54
fitch4
Registered Member

Added
Marine Pure as a vendor as well. List of companies keeps getting bigger and bigger. Remember the movie Jaws? I'm going to need a bigger school...

Unread 02/16/2017, 08:49 AM   #55
fitch4
Registered Member

Okay, my bad. I left Mike's Phyto and Rachel Fogle Art off the map. I definitely need a bigger school...

Unread 02/16/2017, 05:30 PM   #56
fitch4
Registered Member

Brightwell will be at the FFM this year and I just got their donation into the raffle this year. Three of each of the following packages!

Unread 02/17/2017, 05:27 AM   #57
fitch4
Registered Member

Less than a month to go and I have been fielding a number of questions via email, PM and text.

Why go to the FFM?

It is the single biggest aggregation of coral sellers you will ever see. The FFM has added a significant number of "dry goods" vendors as well but that is not included in the 60+ sellers, ALL selling corals. If you are looking for frags, or just want to hang out and talk reefs with some of the best growers in the area, you want the FFM. You will find everything from the basic “weed” species to the coral that you have never heard of, or only seen on the internet. You can shop at anything from the Jason Fox to a hobbyist from NY who grows in his sump. NONE of the other area shows can offer even close to the sheer number of vendors or corals that the FFM can. This is the ultimate frag shopping experience.

How do I get tickets?
There are no advanced ticket sales for the FFM. Admission is $5 at the door and no one will be turned away. Spouses get in free. Children under 12 get in free. Bring the crew along. I think it is important to promote the hobby in terms of something you can do with your spouse, and even more so, with your kids. $5 isn't much to get into something like the FFM anyway, but free is even better! Doors open to the public at 11am and close at 5pm.

What should I bring?
Most people will bring along a cooler of some sort to hold their corals in for the day. Other than that, you don’t need much. I always recommend bringing about 2-3X the money that you think you will spend. I have never heard of anyone who said “I brought too much money.” I usually hear quite the opposite. The FFM only happens once a year and it brings together the best coral vendors and hobbyists from all over the country. You will find what you are looking for and then three other things you can’t leave without!

Can I sell coral at the FFM?

There are 60+ vendors at the FFM, all of whom signed up far in advance, and made a donation to the school project to reserve a space. In fairness to them, there will not be spaces provided for attendees to sell. If you are interested in selling next year, please get in touch with me at swansonjl@hotmail.com, ASAP, and I will add you to the contact list.

Where does all the money go?
The FFM is the main fundraiser for the E.O. Smith Coral project, which has been up and running for almost 15+ years now. I house 800+ gallons of coral growing systems at the school and involve students in the project in a number of ways. The admissions, and raffle proceeds, all go to help run the project. It gives me the ability to buy corals that students want to work with, and equipment that they need to carry out their experiments. With the success of the FFM over the past few years, I have also started giving out scholarships to graduating students who have shown interest in marine/conservation related fields. In the last two years I have given $2000 to graduating seniors and will be giving even more this year. The project, and the FFM, have become so successful that I have been able to help other teachers get the equipment that they need to start reef tanks in their classrooms and plan to continue to do so. In the end, all of the money goes into education. I am not a reef club, I am a teacher, and the FFM run by me as a part of the school.

How does the raffle work?
This year's raffle is the biggest one I have ever seen at the FFM, with some things in it that have never been in before. It is HUGE!
The main raffle will be pulled at 4pm, just before the market closes. Raffle tickets are available from a few people walking around during the day with the red FFM shirts on, or from me in room 107. The tickets are $1 each, 6 for $5 or 25 for $20. I do not sell tickets ahead of time, only at the show.
I have also started an “Easy Raffle List” for people to sign up for on the computer in my room, or on the laptops by the entrance. You put in your information and get a number. Rather than write all of your info on all of your tickets (which is a PAIN!), you just put your number. If you are not there when you win, no worries, I can get it touch with you!

Do I have to be present to win?
For most items, no. I will ship any item that it is feasible to ship. Items that cannot be shipped, will be labeled with a “No Ship” tag. If I can’t ship it and you live “close” we can work something out to get the item to you. If you are not sure, stop and see me and we can figure something out. The week after the FFM, I spend a fair amount of time packing and mailing things to people. As an attendee to other shows, I there have been a ton of raffles that I didn’t enter because I wasn’t going to be there to win. If you find something you really want, buy some tickets, throw them in and I will do my best to get it to you.

If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM, or an email and I will do what I can to help you out!

Thanks-
Jon

Unread 02/17/2017, 08:32 AM   #58
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch4 View Post
I have never heard of anyone who said “I brought too much money.”
Unless its the spouses, but that's usually "You spent too much money"

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 06:12 AM   #59
fitch4
Registered Member

Tue but sometimes if you bring them, they might pick out something pretty!

Unread 02/18/2017, 08:16 AM   #60
fitch4
Registered Member

3 weeks and counting!

Unread 02/18/2017, 09:31 AM   #61
BfishLpond78
FUPA

Super excited for this, the best event in New England hands down!!! Nothing else compares!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 09:44 AM   #62
osrascom
Registered Member

The FFM is great, but OSRAS isn t chopped liver!!!lol

osrascom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 09:55 AM   #63
BfishLpond78
FUPA

The atmosphere, people, vendors, location and the cause are epic. To see jons huge 800 gallon system and all the kids that get involved are wonderful. Glad to see that it has become the premier show in the Northeast!! Gonna post some pics in a minute!!

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
Unread 02/18/2017, 09:57 AM   #64
BfishLpond78
FUPA

Here is a sampling of the fire I brought home last year. All from different vendors...they all bring the heat!!!

Unread 02/18/2017, 10:00 AM   #65
cato
New England

WoW!! Nice stuff bro! ^^^

Current Tank Info: On Hiatus
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 12:18 PM   #66
fitch4
Registered Member

Wow, beautiful stuff. Is that monti a jason fox?

Unread 02/20/2017, 08:43 AM   #67
BfishLpond78
FUPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
WoW!! Nice stuff bro! ^^^
Thank dude! Nothing compared to your incredible collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch4 View Post
Wow, beautiful stuff. Is that monti a jason fox?
Nope, I got it from a local hobbyist, polish accent I believe and I got a lot of goodies from him! The local guys from the area bring the heat!!!

Unread 02/21/2017, 08:06 AM   #68
fitch4
Registered Member

I just put together $500 in Frag Farmer's gift certificates to give away during the day at the FFM. Part of the FFM has always been the gift certificates that I put together that are good at ANY vendor at the FFM. Most of them will be given away at random to people coming in!

Unread 02/21/2017, 09:45 AM   #69
sniper2be
Registered Member

Less then three weeks. All corals cut and healing. From fire to five dollar frags you can find a great deals at this show and you can find the deal listed above at the ARKSWC table in the hallway just as you enter the show. Everything from high end Acro's and Monti's, to common and not so common inexpensive frags and corals. Jon puts on this show and I can't thank him enough. With help from his crew and students alike. Learning and love of this hobby and the biodiversity they are able to put together. helps make this show what it has become. With out the efforts of everyone behind the scenes. This couldn't be the best Show in the east. I have been to Macna, MR, Reef-a-Palooza and more. The shear volume of corals brought into E.O. Smith is incomparable to even those large events. This is by far the best and biggest show in the east. If you want it you will find it here. All I can do is thank Jon and his Crew for putting on this Wonderful Event that so many of us look forward to every year!!!

sniper2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 10:40 AM   #70
davered00ss
Registered Member

Cant wait.

davered00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 06:32 PM   #71
Usernam Invalid
Moved On

Just a few of the frags I'm bringing

Can't wait

Usernam Invalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 07:00 PM   #72
fitch4
Registered Member

HOLY COW!!! And that is just one of the vendors for the FFM. Imagine 60 more, all in one place...

Largest Single Day Coral Show in the U.S.! - 100+ Vendors!

Current Tank Info: 100, 135 reefs and 150g and 800g frag tanks
Unread 02/22/2017, 02:49 PM   #73
fitch4
Registered Member

So I came into school this morning and one of the admins stops me to yell at me for all of the boxes in the office that are mine. Must be time for the FFM! This will be the biggest and best raffle that the FFM has ever seen- by far.

Unread 02/22/2017, 08:46 PM   #74
fitch4
Registered Member

I have had some concerns about parking.
Parking is not as bad as people think, if you know where the lots are. There is a small lot in front of the school, which fills up quickly. There is also a lot on the left side of the school (if you are facing the front) with more spots in it. Those are the two school lots. Across the street there is a parking garage, which quite a bit of parking in it. Lastly, UConn has a big lot if you go down the road just to the right of the school and past the school just a touch- still a short walk, but you start out behind the school. With the number of restaurants and businesses that have set-up shop across the street, the parking has gotten better and better, if you know where to look! I think people just try the lot in the front of the school and that is small and fills up quick.

Unread 02/23/2017, 07:22 AM   #75
fitch4
Registered Member

Minor change to the seller list, Andy from the Blue Glow is not going to be able to make it out but it makes room for Alex (143MPCo)- welcome aboard!!!

Tags
coral, ffm, frag, free, swap