Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 06/12/2018, 11:25 PM   #1
d9bailey
Registered Member

Most accurate testing kit

Is there one testing kit that is widely accepted as the most valid. I bought one of the seachem ammonia alert stick ons for the inside of my tank which is saying my tank is at 0.05ppm but my API test kit is saying 0.5 which is crazy. The API has been great for my fresh water tank but Iím fearing the accuracy of these results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d9bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2018, 11:36 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9bailey View Post
Is there one testing kit that is widely accepted as the most valid. I bought one of the seachem ammonia alert stick ons for the inside of my tank which is saying my tank is at 0.05ppm but my API test kit is saying 0.5 which is crazy. The API has been great for my fresh water tank but Iím fearing the accuracy of these results.

Personally, I like Salifert test kits. Especially for Ca, Alk and Mg. Red Sea Pro would be my second choice. Not a fan of API test kits. Perpahs for ammonia, they are OK but I wouldnít use them. For phosphates, I use and recommend the Hanna ULR phosphorus checker. Itís the most accurate phosphate tester for our range of testing. Hanna also makes Ca and Alk testers and Iíve heard good things about the Alk tester.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2018, 05:34 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

15+ years I've never tested for ammonia after the cycling period..

API is a decent "starter" kit that for the most part is just fine.. The ammonia test has been shown to display false positives on occasion but the rest of their kits are quite easy to use and seem accurate enough for hobby use..

As stated Red Sea/Hanna/Salifert are the commonly accepted "improvements" over API..
Nyos gets my vote for best Nitrate test kit because I find its colors easier to distinguish vs all others..

Old 06/13/2018, 06:37 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

IMHO the differences between any of the test kits is more about your ability to use them and read the results in a repeatable way time after time after time.

Some test kits offer results in a finer scale than others, but do NOT see finer gradation of results as being more accurate. That is a false equivalence.

I've been doing testing for almost 15 years now and have used most brands at least once. And my current tank has been set up and running for 2 years. And even the rocks, sand, corals, anemones and other inverts were in a different tank together for 6 years before that. So I have a very mature system. If your tank is new, you will be testing for different parameters than I do.

With that said, I use API and Salifert and get VERY similar results when I use both. I only test for Ca, alk and salinity on an every week or every other week basis. I'll test for Mg every month or two. I only do other tests (phosphates, ammonia, nitrates) when I feel something is off in the tank (like polyps not opening, change in colors, anemones or fish acting different than normal).

Old 06/13/2018, 07:05 PM   #5
d9bailey
Registered Member

So I just had a panicky moment. I tested the ammonia in my tank with my API kit and it said I had ammonia between 4 and 8ppm. Like I said previously I have the seachem alert monitor which says 0.25 so I rushed down to my lfs and asked them to test it with the salifert kit, and in fact it is at the 0.25 level. I have posted photos here for proof. .heic[/IMG]

Old 06/13/2018, 08:08 PM   #6
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

I agree with what was stated above. I've just never tested for ammonia. After a couple of weeks of cycling, I don't think there's a real need to test for it unless there is something exceptionally strange going on.

As for the other tests, I actually really like API for Ca++ and Alk. I use their reagents and a Hannah stir plate with a glass scintillation vial and you get instant view of the color change.

For mag, I use Salifert because it's fairly simple. For phosphates, I use a Hannah colorimeter. So in essence, I use what I've found to be the best for each test. I don't think one company makes the best for each case.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2018, 08:25 PM   #7
jrill
Registered Member

Two things. That's the freshwater card. Saltwater card colors are a little different.
Second, the color has to be compared with the vial up against the white card

jrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2018, 09:16 PM   #8
d9bailey
Registered Member

Ok but you get the freaking point of how far away from 0.25 it was. And the colour charts are soo close

https://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...ce=sh%2Fx%2Fim

Thatís the image and you can see salt water is the same.

Old 06/15/2018, 10:43 AM   #9
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

most accurate test in my opinion would be ICP as this is sent out to a lab and does not use regular test kits sold to the public and hobby prices.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2018, 08:41 PM   #10
d9bailey
Registered Member

Ok I understand that. But Iím talking about home testing kit that we can use to see what is going on in an instant.

Old 06/17/2018, 06:09 PM   #11
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

Why would you use a freshwater test kit for saltwater?

jezzeaepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2018, 06:22 PM   #12
d9bailey
Registered Member

Because when you read the ingredients on both bottles they are the exact same as many people online attested to. I also contacted my local supplier and he said the same thing.

Old 06/17/2018, 06:36 PM   #13
jrill
Registered Member

Aren't the color cards different

Old 06/17/2018, 07:37 PM   #14
d9bailey
Registered Member

No I posted the link above. Even if you google it yourself you will see it. So when all evidence points to it should work, itís just upsetting it didnít and I wasted money on it

Old 06/17/2018, 09:39 PM   #15
jrill
Registered Member

All the links I saw they are different. Go figure.

Old 06/17/2018, 09:43 PM   #16
jrill
Registered Member

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....s.html#ammonia

Old 06/18/2018, 12:44 AM   #17
d9bailey
Registered Member

Wow I never found that but good to see. Even if we take that as the new fact, it still means my tests are way off. API showing 2.0 and salifert showing 0.25.

Old 06/18/2018, 12:50 AM   #18
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

API = cheap test kit
Salifert = higher quality test kit
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for

jezzeaepi is offline   Reply With Quote