Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2017, 11:44 AM   #1
OrionN
Moved on

Lense Recomendation

My standard all purpose stock lens which I did not like very much just gave out. on my Canon T1i.

I need a new all purpose lens. Thinking of getting the Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.
What do you guys think of this lens. I don't want to spend 500+ then find out that it is not a good lens. I am also thinking of upgrade the camera body (maybe)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 12:12 PM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

What do you want to user it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2017, 12:57 PM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Just for everyday use. I have a 100 mm f/2.4 macro that I use to take tank pictures. In the olds day I used a fix 50 mm 1.4 lens for standard lens ( 1980) but I am spoiled with zoom lens these days.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/20/2017, 01:46 PM   #4
scuzy
Registered Member

F4 is kinda slow that 24-105 is best suited on a ff camera. What's the budget? I had the 24-105 love it but wish I kept it would be great on my new camera. I personally have a 24-70 as my main walk around.

Unread 04/21/2017, 06:42 PM   #5
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I get more use out of my 18-135 lens than anything. It's the kit lens for the 70D, IIRC. It's an f/3.5-5'ish lens.

Look at the offerings from Tamron and Sigma while you're searching. They have some really sharp lenses that are as good/better than Canon lenses for much less cash. Not all of their stuff is worth buying, so research it before pulling the trigger.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 12:26 PM   #6
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Do you have a normal 35mm F1.8 (50mm equivalent) lens? I've been using my AF-S 35mm F/1.8g DX (Nikon) for literally everything lately .

Unread 05/10/2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Brieninsac
Registered Member

Are you guys removing the blue in post production or using filters? I have yet to find a good process to get amazing pictures.

Unread 05/10/2017, 03:15 PM   #8
scuzy
Registered Member

You could also do white balance with a white plate first then take your pictures.

Unread 05/10/2017, 03:20 PM   #9
Brieninsac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
You could also do white balance with a white plate first then take your pictures.

I'm pretty new to my digital camera (Sony a6500) and haven't played with the White balance. Would another way to adjust the white balance be off the sand?

Unread 05/10/2017, 03:36 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
Do you have a normal 35mm F1.8 (50mm equivalent) lens? I've been using my AF-S 35mm F/1.8g DX (Nikon) for literally everything lately .
I have the 50 mm fixed focal lens. However, I am spoiled using zoom lens. I tend to framed the picture as I take it, habit from 30 years of taken film pictures, and really love the zoom lens so I don't have to walk back and fore as I take pictures.

Any specific lens that you guys recommended for my Canon Rebel?

Unread 05/10/2017, 06:43 PM   #11
scuzy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
I'm pretty new to my digital camera (Sony a6500) and haven't played with the White balance. Would another way to adjust the white balance be off the sand?

Your best bet is a true white plate for white balance than using sand

Unread 05/10/2017, 08:58 PM   #12
FishN00b83
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
If you shoot in RAW and have post editing software like Lightroom white balance becomes less of a worry because you can edit it in post. Like someone else mentioned you can set your cameras white balance with a white card before you shoot. You can also try using some of the presets that are in your camera for some common situations like; incandescent light, fluorescent, LED, or some other settings some cameras have.

Unread 05/12/2017, 12:50 PM   #13
Gueeto
Registered Member

I have a t3i and rented a 24-105L for a 3 week trip to Europe. The focal length was pretty good but the f4 was a little slow. Also, 24mm at 1.4x crop factor really doesn't allow any wide angle. If the f4 is fast enough for you maybe look into the 18-200mm lens. I have used my father's on trips and they will produce great photos as well. Not nearly as nice as the L glass but the versatility is great! I ended up with a 70-200 f4L and the ef-s 17-55mm 2.8 which is L equivalent glass.

Before you upgrade your body buy the glass. It makes all the difference!

check out borrowlenses.com test out the lenses you are looking for it really helped me decide on what lenses I really wanted.

Jim.wanamaker@gmail.com
Gueeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 02:41 PM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

Will do...Thanks

Unread 05/19/2017, 07:53 PM   #15
nightOwl
Premium Member

What is your budget for your lense? If you stick to a f2.8 or better you can pretty much shoot till the evening time. Anything past F4.0 in the evenings is gonna be hard to use in low light. What do you mainly take photos of? I use a rebel but own L series lenses since if I upgrade to a full body I don't have to buy new lenses. The price upfront is more but the quality is great.

Unread 05/19/2017, 08:04 PM   #16
OrionN
Moved on

I am thinking of spending up to 500.00 for this lense

Unread 05/19/2017, 09:13 PM   #17
Wiskey
Registered Member

I love my 17-55 2.8 crop frame lens. It's the perfect focal length for crop frame cameras like my T4i and your T1i. I've used the 24-105 on a crop frame camera because my work has one, and it's a little slow, and a little long, though it's perfect on a full frame.

Whiskey

Unread 05/20/2017, 06:56 AM   #18
nightOwl
Premium Member

If you spend more or plan on upgrading your camera to a full body one day you won't have to buy new lenses. I have the 24-70 f2.8 and love it. If you plan on taking pictures in the evening say a kids soccer game or something f4.0 and smaller will limit how late you can shoot in the evening very quickly.

If you can wait and increase you budget for a lense
Full Frame L Series

If you on a budget then take a look at some of these
Budget Recommendations

Check out the sample pictures and some of the other categories to give you an idea of quality you will get. In the end it does not matter what lense you get its how well you know how to maximize your camera's performance. Good luck and hope you find one that suits your needs.

Unread 05/23/2017, 10:59 PM   #19
IPT
Registered Member

Boy, lots of thoughts on this one! I use a 24-105 F4 as my walk around lens on a FF body. With the ISO capabilities these days, unless I am shooting Aurora the difference for me of F2.8 and F4 is a moot point.

The F2.8 24-70 and 70-200 seem like a common setup. I sold my F2.8 70-200 recently and kept the F4 version. The 2.8 lenses are just total beasts to carry. It all depends on what else your gonna carry, and what you're willing to carry. Sometimes I have a 500mm lens with me so carrying more lenses that is F2.8 and heavy is just not appealing to me.

It's not an easy choice, but I agree take you time choosing the glass. You will most likely upgrade your body several times before the lenses. I actually dropped my 24-105 the year before last (grr). I like it enough that I spent like $300 bucks or more for Canon to fix it.

Here is a shot in Lightroom at 100%.

This Swallow was taken at ISO 1600 on the Mark II which is not known for it's high noise capabilities . I did do a quick pass using noise reduction software though. It's a tad pixelated from the JPEG compression but the full size image is silky smooth.

Last edited by IPT; 05/23/2017 at 11:11 PM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 11:14 PM   #20
scuzy
Registered Member

I really love the mkii of the 24-70 and on a ff it's a great combo. Still learning on my 5d

Unread 05/23/2017, 11:40 PM   #21
IPT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
I really love the mkii of the 24-70 and on a ff it's a great combo.
Yup, it a killer lens, but heavy and expensive. Don't get me wrong, it's a superb setup if that's the way you want to roll. For me the extra 35mm of zoom, saving $600 and having IS makes the 24-105 ideal (for me at least).

Many don't worry about IS saying it's wide angle and you don't need it, but I use it all the time. I can handhold landscape images at higher F stops if say I am hiking and didn't lug along a tripod. All depends on your style and intended use .

I do know the MKII of the 24-70 and 70-200 are reputed to be insanely sharp. I just didn't (don't) feel like the 24-105 is any slouch there. I got upgrade-itis a while back and considered getting the MKII lenses. After looking at my images and weighing out the expense and physical weight I opted to keep what I have. Well, I did get one MKII lens, but it's the 500mm one

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 05:32 AM   #22
OrionN
Moved on

I am still searching. Thanks

Unread 05/26/2017, 07:00 PM   #23
Reef Bass
colors and textures

For me, the 24-70 f2.8 L 1 is my walking around lens. I also have the 70-200 f2.8 L 2 and love it. Its considerable weight is offset by its awesomeness, IMHO. I often shoot on a tripod so the weight isn't too big of an issue while shooting. Between the two I am well covered from 24-200mm.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 06:58 AM   #24
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
For me, the 24-70 f2.8 L 1 is my walking around lens. I also have the 70-200 f2.8 L 2 and love it. Its considerable weight is offset by its awesomeness, IMHO. I often shoot on a tripod so the weight isn't too big of an issue while shooting. Between the two I am well covered from 24-200mm.
It is a very nice lens but $$$$$

Unread 06/04/2017, 07:19 AM   #25
OrionN
Moved on

Canon 24-70mm f/4 L IS is what I am leaning toward.
This is a lens I can afford. I think I will get for my Rebel T1i. I think I will upgrade my camera in the not too distant future.