Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Pokerman11
Registered Member

DIY - Furnature grade cabnet for a 90G

Doing a new tank build. Surprisingly I'm finding that most commercially available tank stands are just pure crap. The wife is not going to allow them in the house.

Thinking I need to make a stand. I've never made furniture before. But I do have a nice table saw, miter saw, and can sand. I'm not creative, but can follow directions

Looking to build a 48 x 18 x 30 stand.

I'd like to have doors on the front as well as side access if possible.

Are there plans or guides on self building a fish tank stand?

Pokerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 02:53 PM   #2
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Following for the same reason

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 05:22 PM   #3
on the spot
Registered Member

Do you like your kitchen cabinets?

Most stock cabinets will have something close to what you need. Start with the Rocket engineer stand thread and splits to build the support, then use the cabinet face and doors to cover that up for a clean matching stand.

You can also usually order matching back panels - it's used on peninsulas - to finish the sides.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Pokerman11
Registered Member

I've been trying to search this DIY forum, but I'm running into so MANY post. There are 1000's and 1000's of posts, mostly with bad links.

This can't seem to find anything of value.

I figure somebody has put together plans for a classic 90 stand. I like the idea of hanging cabinets to finish. I go to google and see what I can find.

Unread 04/21/2018, 10:19 PM   #5
Pokerman11
Registered Member

https://cflas.org/2014/03/03/build-y...quarium-stand/

found this 90 gal build

Unread 04/22/2018, 02:49 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

I would start here on the stand, then skin to match your kitchen cabinets.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 09:11 AM   #7
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerman11 View Post
found this 90 gal build
That first picture is Rockets schematic. You are well on your way.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:22 AM   #8
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Not sure about your/her style but you can breeze through my build thread. Perhaps there is something in there that may be helpful.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2613836

Unread 04/23/2018, 05:41 AM   #9
Mark9
Registered Member

If the wife is concerned with aesthetics, why not shift gears and get something like a Red Sea XL deluxe 425?
Yes, a bit pricier, but it's going to look better than anything you can build, and it comes with everything you need.

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:36 AM   #10
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I think red sea stands, although decent, use MDF. even elos stands use MDF as well.
I've read people getting crap plywood stand from SCA.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 03:14 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I always just build a substantial stand/frame that will hold the tank through an earthquake; then skin it with an appropriate looking front and sides. Doors are pretty easy to make with a table and miter saws. You may need a router as well.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:12 PM   #12
Reefpuck
Registered Member

+1 to a router table if you have one or access to one...you can make really professional looking cabinets...exactly like what you find in most new homes.

They sell all sorts of different router bit combos to make popular designs. I'm in the process of making shaker style doors for the canopy/stand, and the same type of panels for the sides that will be help to the stand by magnets...so i can remove them for access/maintenance.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:13 PM   #13
Sk8r
RC Mod

Big thing is going to be the finish. Pick a plywood with a nice ash or oak veneer finish, and be ready to sand, wipe, sand, wipe down, first coat, sand, wipe, etc. Minwax makes some that can cover a multitude of sins (mahogany is one that will shine) but I'd advise practicing the finish on a slab of decent wood until you get a result you're proud of, and know what you can do. The other item is corner bracing. A triangular block inside a corner can help it hold big weight. Triangles are strong. Things joined as a T are weak. Lots of You-Tube on furniture finishing, and a couple of guys in the Lounge are real artists at it.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:42 PM   #14
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

by furniture grade, do you mean built like fine furniture? or do you just mean you want a plywood stand vs an MDF stand?
I think building a functional stand is fine following instructions.
I think it requires some skill and experience (more than just getting a router) to build fine furniture quality.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 08:55 AM   #15
davocean
Registered Member

Even most of us cabinet makers will make the stand and cabinet skin or face frame, and often I will just have my local cabinet door supply shop make doors for me, as they make them perfectly for about what material cost alone would be for me.
That would help you avoid having to get some expensive tools possibly unless you wish to go down that road for future projects.

Good doors can make even a novice carpenter look good, that's mostly what shows.

There are a number of threads to help frame/stand design, rockets diy is one, and the fancy stand thread has lots of cool ideas

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1688446

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD

Last edited by davocean; 04/24/2018 at 09:01 AM.
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 09:04 AM   #16
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I think red sea stands, although decent, use MDF. even elos stands use MDF as well.
I've read people getting crap plywood stand from SCA.
I think in trying to offer more or better than the MDF stands, they started shopping for a new cabinet builder, and the first attempt came up short.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote