Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/23/2008, 01:09 PM   #351
Reefski's
Registered Member

i would go with as many as you can fit over the tank. one in each bay between the rafters,

my local HD carries Velux which is pricey so solatubes may be less. which one is more in your case? and what caused the $800 difference?

i would want to know what material they use for the shaft and it's spectral reflective qualities. there are differences.

any tube skylight should not be too expensive to install. after all there are only holes at both ends to cut. should be no framing and only a bit of tie in to properly integrate it into your existing roof.

Go for it! you won't be sorry?

Carl

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 01:55 PM   #352
8BALL_99
Registered Member

SolaTube brand cost about 395.00 per 14" Tube VS 270.00 for a 14" ODL or Velux.. Thats where some of the 800 difference is from. Not sure where they got 800 bucks from.
I find it hard to believe also that the Sola Tube brand tubes are worth that much extra$$ Velux and ODL both say the tubes are made out of 95% reflective metal. Anyone had both or seen both. Any coment on the price difference. Is it just the brand your paying for?

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,
8BALL_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 01:58 PM   #353
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

HD was cheaper and I believe it was Velux. As for the difference, that is one of my questions for tomorrow. Fortunately for me, the tank runs parallel with the roof joists. Of course, with my luck, there is probably one centered directly of the the tank!!

I don't plan on installing myself. If I am going to have holes cut in my roof, I want a warranty. Tile roof in south Florida, I'm just asking for trouble with the roof flashing.

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
jdhuyvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 03:12 PM   #354
richierich2000
SPS Crazy

hoboegato

I am planning out my new tank it is 72x48x24 i am thinking about going with the solar tubes 6x 13" tubes what spaceing did you use on center? I have my lights now on my 72" 210 @ 13" 36" 59"

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon mixed reef and 125 gallon anemone/frag tank
richierich2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 07:48 PM   #355
Reefski's
Registered Member

tile roofs are a bit harder to flash. is it a flat tile or curved? i would definitely have the professional do it. tile roofs can be more of a pain. tiles are also prone to breaking just walking and working on the roof.

make sure there aren't more broken that when they start. are the installers roofing contractors as the should be or what is their license? here in california you can check on any contractors license online at the CSLB.com website.

Carl

Reefski's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 08:14 PM   #356
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Well I looked at a 10" ODL today at home depot and I got to say I wasn't super inpressed with the dome.. The kit looked pretty good though and seemed to include everything you need.. But the dome was very thin and cheap feeling.. It even had a pretty big blemish on the top center from when it was molded.. Looked like the bottom of a plastic bowl. The Velux dome looked better. As in it was crystal clear seemed thicker and didn't have a large blemish from being molded.
The ODL had ridges on one side of it. I guess to help collect sunlight? The Velux was just a clear dome. But the only Velux I could find was a low profile.. The standard ones might have a different dome. There isn't a SolaTube dealer close by to me so I can't see one of those in person

Current Tank Info: Custom Starfire 300,92Gallon,35 Gallon Hex,Two 40Gallons,125Gallon,
Unread 09/23/2008, 08:23 PM   #357
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 8BALL_99
There isn't a SolaTube dealer close by to me so I can't see one of those in person
are you sure? Did you check their website for local dealers? You could also check companies that sell roof supplies, it seems like they all sell some kind of tubes. If you look at the solatubes you will buy it because it is so much brighter. I looked at a solatube and a velux side by side and the solatube blows it away. Solatube dealers also have the reflective samples of all the different tubes.

I already set up 3 flahings for an in wall tank that I'm doing. I am going with 3 14" solatubes.

GUILLO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2008, 08:58 PM   #358
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GUILLO1
are you sure? Did you check their website for local dealers? You could also check companies that sell roof supplies, it seems like they all sell some kind of tubes. If you look at the solatubes you will buy it because it is so much brighter. I looked at a solatube and a velux side by side and the solatube blows it away. Solatube dealers also have the reflective samples of all the different tubes.

I already set up 3 flahings for an in wall tank that I'm doing. I am going with 3 14" solatubes.
Yep sorry to say the only dealer I could find is a 2 hour and 30 min drive from my house lol. I wouldnt mind taking a look at them but uhhh a 6 hour trip is a little tough..

Unread 09/24/2008, 12:34 AM   #359
pitbullguy
Moved On

That is so cool, I wish that was an option for me, I would like to keep seeing the progression.

pitbullguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2008, 07:58 AM   #360
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefski's
tile roofs are a bit harder to flash. is it a flat tile or curved? i would definitely have the professional do it. tile roofs can be more of a pain. tiles are also prone to breaking just walking and working on the roof.

make sure there aren't more broken that when they start. are the installers roofing contractors as the should be or what is their license? here in california you can check on any contractors license online at the CSLB.com website.

Carl
5/12 roof, concrete barrel tile, tile are mud set and not screw down. So they break, but not as easily as clay. Fortunately whoever built the house left about 30 to 40 extra tiles in the garage.

Installer is a licensed contractor that specializes in solar tubes, skylights and roof vents.

Unread 09/24/2008, 08:08 AM   #361
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

As for the cost difference....The HD price works out to about $428 per tube (14"). Includes 3 foot extension (not enough) and does not include sales tax. I'm going to need about 6-7 feet of extension.

Other guy was $699 installed, all inclusive. I described it over the phone and that was his price. I still told him to come by to look anway before giving it to me in writing. I'm not moving the tank to allow for easier access!!!!

So, when you factor in sales tax (6%) and extra extensions, the cost difference is significantly less than $800.

Unread 09/24/2008, 08:32 AM   #362
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Another consideration is coral acclimation. The way my roof joists are oriented and tank location (both are oriented east-west), in the summer months the tank will have direct overhead sun for a little bit each day. There will be a direct line of site from the solar tubes to the sun almost the entire day (basically, from about 0.5 hours after sun rise to about 2 hours before sunset). No trees on that side of the house. solar tubes will be almost at the peak of the roof and the house behind me is a single story and sits off to the side (north) and not directly between my house and the sunrise. Vacant lot across the street (west) with a couple of very tall pine trees that partially filter the evening sun.

If I do this, I'll have the installation done in December to allow the corals a more "natural" aclimation period to the intense month.

I'm also toying with putting a light filter (something very light blue) to try to eliminate some of the yellow appearance.

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
Unread 09/24/2008, 09:41 AM   #363
ektor
Registered Member

If I missed it please forgive me. What about hail damage? Always concerned with this due to my location.

ektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2008, 10:11 AM   #364
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdhuyvetter
As for the cost difference....The HD price works out to about $428 per tube (14"). Includes 3 foot extension (not enough) and does not include sales tax. I'm going to need about 6-7 feet of extension.

Other guy was $699 installed, all inclusive. I described it over the phone and that was his price. I still told him to come by to look anway before giving it to me in writing. I'm not moving the tank to allow for easier access!!!!

So, when you factor in sales tax (6%) and extra extensions, the cost difference is significantly less than $800.
Holy crap lol.. Just go to Homedepots website and order them.. The kits run 269 for the 14" Your getting ripped paying 428.00 Inless that with install The sola Tube brand runs about 385 per 14" kit.. I found them for 365 if you buy 4 or more.

Unread 09/24/2008, 10:14 AM   #365
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Quote:

So you have seen both and really think the solaTubes are with the extra 100 or so bucks over the Velux tubes?

Unread 09/24/2008, 01:41 PM   #366
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Keep in mind, those are installed costs. I want a warranty on the kit and the installation. It rains a lot here.

The solatube installer just left. He has a 10 year warranty on parts and a 5 year warranty on installation.

As for hail damage, usually not a problem here. More flying debris during rainy season (i.e. hurricanes)

Now that I've seen both, I think that the extra for solatubes is money well spent for a reef tank. If I was just doing it to light a room, I would probably go with the HD brand.

Unread 09/24/2008, 01:49 PM   #367
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 8BALL_99
So you have seen both and really think the solaTubes are with the extra 100 or so bucks over the Velux tubes?
yes I've seen both and in my case it was only like $50 bucks more. I got 3 14" tubes for about $300 each. It is very much worth the 50 bucks more. Call the solatube toll free number and ask them who sells them near your area. If you just input your zip code on there website it only gives a few results. When I tried the zip code deal I only got 2 dealers, one was 60miles away and the other about 20. So I called solatube and they gave me like a half dozen places that sell the tubes with in 10miles from me.

Unread 09/24/2008, 02:19 PM   #368
8BALL_99
Registered Member

Quote:
yes I've seen both and in my case it was only like $50 bucks more. I got 3 14" tubes for about $300 each. It is very much worth the 50 bucks more. Call the solatube toll free number and ask them who sells them near your area. If you just input your zip code on there website it only gives a few results. When I tried the zip code deal I only got 2 dealers, one was 60miles away and the other about 20. So I called solatube and they gave me like a half dozen places that sell the tubes with in 10miles from me.
Yeah there is a trick to that I called them about it.. If you go to their site don't go under Homeowner go under professional its gives you any dealers in your area.. The Homeowner side only shows premium dealers. I found 3 with in 50 miles of me.. One as close as 9 miles.. But they don't have any 14" tubes instock and don't seem to know to much about them. They can order them though.

Unread 09/24/2008, 02:35 PM   #369
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

hobogato

Do you have the diffusers on the ends of the tubes?

Jeff

Unread 09/24/2008, 02:54 PM   #370
hobogato
Registered Member

jeff, my tubes have the polycarbonate dome on the top, but no diffuser on the inside. i tried them at first but they took out too much light

hobogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2008, 03:16 PM   #371
8BALL_99
Registered Member

You could just replace the plastic in the diffuser with clear Acrylic to keep the tube clean.. The dealer told me he had a few clear diffusers used for displays. But that it was just a Diffuser with a piece of acrylic stuck in it.

Unread 09/24/2008, 04:12 PM   #372
pitbullguy
Moved On

Did you put these in or did you have it done? Just wondering how much of a job it is.

pitbullguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2008, 05:10 PM   #373
saintperez
Registered Member.

Jeff, I'm in South Florida, so I'm just curious what your guy said about Hurricanes? Is there a way to replace the dome with a metal plate or something pre-Hurricane?

saintperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2008, 05:17 PM   #374
GUILLO1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saintperez
Jeff, I'm in South Florida, so I'm just curious what your guy said about Hurricanes? Is there a way to replace the dome with a metal plate or something pre-Hurricane?
I believe they sell a special dome for hurricane pron areas.

Unread 09/24/2008, 06:01 PM   #375
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

The dome I looked at had an inner "shock" dome. I guess you could pull the top off and put a metal cap on.