Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2010, 01:55 PM   #476
mlb75
Premium Member

I'm running the SM 250 on my 180 as well. I do have a pretty large sump (running volume of about 60 gallons) For coral content I've got a decent number of LPS and SPS (more SPS but the LPS are bigger atm) and about 19 fish at last count. I used to run a ER 8-2 and could never get my phosphates or trates down, as soon as I hooked this think up they started dropping, and quickly, and while now I don't get lots of skimate every day it's always funky and thick when I clean the cup.

I want to say I run the volute more like 3 turns out...

Absolutely love this thing and couldn't image myself going to a different skimmer.

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 04:08 PM   #477
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks View Post
Hey TBone, I knew we would cross paths at some point.. Your suppport for the SM 250 played a huge role in my decision to buy this skimmer.. What a great purchase... Thanks for all the pics that you posted in the past...

Hiya! It took a while, but our paths have crossed. I've been pretty non-existent on the forums the past couple of years. Looks like we are both running ATI PM's as well. I recently started tagging along your build thread too.

And yes, I'm still loving my SM250!!

tbone28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2010, 07:58 PM   #478
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

I was wondering what happened to you... Just glad to see you back and loading up with some SPS again.. I read that you hadn't been doing much with your tank, but that your parameters were still in check.. I can only imagine that has a lot to do with your SM250. Looking forward to chatting on my build thread!

Go ahead... Put the price on the bag. I don't have that problem any longer :)

Current Tank Info: 180g Custom rimless Starphire, 48 X10 ATI PM T5 fixture, Vortech MP40w X3 with battery Backup, Bubble King Super Marin 250, Geo 612 Calc reactor, Profilux stand-alone Doser, Neptune Apex controller, Ozotech Poseidon 200 ozone generator
jbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2010, 02:31 PM   #479
cepha
Registered Member

Bubble King Deluxe

Hello, I am going to be setting up a new system soon and i think i have decided on a Bubble King Deluxe skimmer and wanted to know what you guys think i should get. The aquarium will be about 200 gallons SPS with heavily stocked. The whole system will be about 300 gallons. I was looking at the Bubble King Deluxe 200 or 250. It seams to not be a very big price difference so i think i am leaning towards the 250.

Now i have the question of external vs internal. I really like that with most external skimmers they can be placed in the sump if you have the room or outside the aquarium if you dont have the space. Can i do that with the bubble king and is there any performance difference between the external and internal. I have room for either.

Last there is the new RDII pump that you can get with these. Is there a real benefit to getting these pumps or is it for people who like to control every little thing about their aquarium?

Thank,
Davis

cepha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2010, 11:49 PM   #480
tbone28
Registered Member

haven't done this in a while... here's 5 days worth

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:51 PM   #481
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
haven't done this in a while... here's 5 days worth

hey man what do you have your pump set at on the volute. how many turns and what is your water level at in the skimmer

Unread 03/31/2010, 11:56 PM   #482
tbone28
Registered Member

I'm at 2 turns. Sump level is just over 8"? I forget exactly.

Unread 04/01/2010, 09:14 AM   #483
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Terry,

Great shots and that's after at least 2 years of running it??... Awesome.

On some of the old threads you mentioned the difference between the old and new risers on th SM 250 and how the new risers help to difuse microbubbles... When looking at the old and new sm250s, the only difference I've seen on-line is the volute. The newer one has an ozone port.. Can you give me a description of what you were referring to because I do get micorbubbles. It seems to be getting better though as the skimmer breaks in.

Current Tank Info: 180g Custom rimless Starphire, 48 X10 ATI PM T5 fixture, Vortech MP40w X3 with battery Backup, Bubble King Super Marin 250, Geo 612 Calc reactor, Profilux stand-alone Doser, Neptune Apex controller, Ozotech Poseidon 200 ozone generator
Unread 04/01/2010, 09:26 AM   #484
tbone28
Registered Member

Jonathan - It's been sooooo long, I don't really remember which riser I was talking about But, IIRC, I think I was referring to the riser tube inside the skimmer body. Since I had one of the 1st SM's, the pics I saw differed. I'm guessing I saw some prototype pics, and then they changed the design to minimize microbubbles. I still get microbubbles on my skimmer, which shouldn't happen in such an expensive skimmer, but I have baffles in my sump, and it's a 4' sump, with low flow, so I don't get bubbles returned into the display. Because of that, I've never really given much thought to it.

Unread 04/01/2010, 09:56 AM   #485
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Thanks Man.. I gotcha' Sorry for taking you back down memory lane I actually had to remove a baffle to fit this skimmer and my Sump is high flow to cut down on anything settling. I'm looking to modify the sump a bit to help with the issue. Thankfully, it's not too bad.

Unread 04/01/2010, 10:40 AM   #486
tbone28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanks View Post
Thanks Man.. I gotcha' Sorry for taking you back down memory lane I actually had to remove a baffle to fit this skimmer and my Sump is high flow to cut down on anything settling. I'm looking to modify the sump a bit to help with the issue. Thankfully, it's not too bad.
I run a little mini-jet in the sump in the return section of the sump to keep things stirred up

Unread 04/01/2010, 02:12 PM   #487
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Cool.. I have a bypass line coming from my manifold that I drop into the drain section of the sump. It keeps the whole sump free of detritus and recirulates what the skimmer may miss the first, second or 3rd time around..

Unread 04/02/2010, 06:58 AM   #488
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepha View Post
Hello, I am going to be setting up a new system soon and i think i have decided on a Bubble King Deluxe skimmer and wanted to know what you guys think i should get. The aquarium will be about 200 gallons SPS with heavily stocked. The whole system will be about 300 gallons. I was looking at the Bubble King Deluxe 200 or 250. It seams to not be a very big price difference so i think i am leaning towards the 250.

Now i have the question of external vs internal. I really like that with most external skimmers they can be placed in the sump if you have the room or outside the aquarium if you dont have the space. Can i do that with the bubble king and is there any performance difference between the external and internal. I have room for either.

Yes you can, but i have not seen anybody running a BK external internally. You would still need to feed it with a pump. In short it will work, But i would give the perforamnce edge to the internal to be run internally.

Last there is the new RDII pump that you can get with these. Is there a real benefit to getting these pumps or is it for people who like to control every little thing about their aquarium?

I see that PA is no longer selling them with the RDII pumps. The non skimmer models have been recalled. I know of a couple people running them and no problems as of yet. (1 year old) I would stick to the laguna pumps they are time tested and a very hard pump to beat! JMO

Thank,
Davis

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 07:27 AM   #489
n-kleine
Registered Member

Bubble King SM 200

Bubble King SM 200 for sale. Asking 1100.00 shipped and insured. Also have other items for sale. Please call 217-381-2589 for details. Only 8 months old with invoice and original packaging.

n-kleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 08:01 AM   #490
Padrino
Registered Member

I think u need to post that in the classifieds but send me a pm with the specs and footprint thanks

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 11:01 AM   #491
n-kleine
Registered Member

I have permission from PA to post this here. Thanks.

n-kleine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2010, 07:34 PM   #492
wpnorton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proline View Post
The motorblock isn't dead. You'll want to examine the bearing for calcification, then re-seat it properly.

- Albert

Albert, I purchased a new impeller, cleaned everything after a vinegar bath, reassembled again...carefully, and it's still not running properly. If the motor block is not dead, please tell me where I can send this for service to get back up and running properly. I have to much invested in this to just trash it.

wpnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 07:17 AM   #493
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

If you want to send it to me I will get it back up and running for you. Or it might be quicker to send it to Albert since you're on the west coast.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2010, 08:59 AM   #494
tbone28
Registered Member

PROLINE (ALBERT) - Just saying I'm finally back in the game

Unread 04/08/2010, 03:10 PM   #495
Tajjo
Registered Member

Hey all! I am looking into buying a BK 200 But dont know which rout to go, so thats where you all come in.
Im going to be upgrading soon to a 120 or a 180, but dont know what skimmer to go with the Vertex 200, the Mino 200, or the RDII 200.

Any suggestions are greatly appretiated thanks.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal display, 40 breeder sump. 1 Tunze 6105, 1 Maxi Jet mod, octopuss nw 200, 618 GEO calcium reactor, 2 250w mh icecap pendant with icecap ballast, pheonix bulbs, with 4 t5 VHO actinic
Tajjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 03:45 PM   #496
Padrino
Registered Member

Thats tough since ive never had an experience with though direct products but from what i have heard the RDII 200 should be good. I have a BK mini 160 and love it so much that a bought a BK SM250 with self cleaning cleaning head

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2010, 05:43 PM   #497
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Anyone know if it makes a difference if you put a cap over the ozone outlet (not using)on the intake to the BK skimmers? I've read that ATB users get better performance by capping the port but I can't imagine it would make much of a difference if any.

Thanks in advance

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 01:20 PM   #498
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajjo View Post
Hey all! I am looking into buying a BK 200 But dont know which rout to go, so thats where you all come in.
Im going to be upgrading soon to a 120 or a 180, but dont know what skimmer to go with the Vertex 200, the Mino 200, or the RDII 200.

Any suggestions are greatly appretiated thanks.
I was hoping Jeremy would chime in, but if you're going to go with at least a 180 and your total water volume is above 220 gallons with a heavy Bio-load, I would consider the SM250, like myself, Tbone and some others have.. The SM250 kicks Butt on our systems.. If you're going with 150G, then I would consider the SM200, which is also an in-sump skimmer.. Just make sure that you have enough room to fit either internal model.. I'm not experienced with the external BK models, so I will defer to Jeremy and the rest of the crew.. Good luck with your decision.. Based on what I have experienced, with the RD2000, it is more than enough running the SM250 on my 180G.. The RDII seems like a great pump that is controllable and very powerful, but you lose the energy efficient aspect of an RD2000 or 1500. Along with the capability of drawing in more air (Up to 3000+ l/hr vs. 2000 l/hr on the RD2000), which is great, the RDII also pulls a lot more power than the standard pumps..

Last edited by jbanks; 04/09/2010 at 02:00 PM.
Unread 04/09/2010, 01:33 PM   #499
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Thanks for the input Jonathan, I've been corresponding with him via private message.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 02:00 PM   #500
jbanks
Lover of God's Creations

As usual.... Always on the JOb! Thanks J!