Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2018, 07:26 AM   #1
Punchanello
Registered Member

Help for a new reefer - 2 part, trace elements and other stuff

Hi all,

It's nearly time to fill my first reef tank. It's time to choose salt mix and think about dosing cal, alk and mag. Just about every salt and dosing regimen I look at contains trace elements and other stuff (I'll just call it stuff from here on in). And then most of the manufacturers of those products also recommend dosing additional stuff.

This adds a bit of confusion for me.

To start with, you're adding additional amounts of stuff with your 2 part based on your calcium and alkalinity consumption. So there's also all this other stuff going in without any consideration as to what rate it will be consumed. The manufacturers claim they are matching sea water or to just trust they know what they are doing. Isn't this a bit arbitrary?

My second issue is, assuming all this stuff is consumed at different rates, or even not at all, how can you be sure it's not just going to keep building up in the system to toxic levels? Water changes?

I'm guessing these companies think that with all the complexity and bells and whistles people will feel they are buying the best thing for their reefs. For me it just becomes overwhelming.

Am I on solid ground if I ditch the brand name dosing regimen and start my tank with Randy's Recipe?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My tank build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647315
Punchanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Why not keep it simple. Use any brand salt that and test weekly for ca, alk, and mag. Until you really start to fill up your tank with corals you will not even need to dose anything for quite some time. Water changes will keep everything balanced.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 02:05 PM   #3
bitwise
Registered Member

I agree with the poster above. Keep it as simple as possible to start (no dosing). The trace "stuff" in the water and the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium will be replaced by water changes.

I dose alk and cal with dosing pumps and magnesium (infrequently) by hand. I also have a 43 gallon tank with several small stony coral colonies. The rate of consumption is going to depend on water volume and the number/size of your corals.

Unread 02/19/2018, 03:43 PM   #4
Jcohen9999
Overkill Reefer

What they said. And never dose anything you are not ready to start testing for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jcohen9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 03:44 PM   #5
nycjwi
Registered Member

I sort of agree with the guys above however, there is nothing simple about this stuff and thats what keeps it interesting. it all depends on how much and how quickly you plan to add corals. The goal here is to keep your ALK as stable as possible (8-9). The problem with relying on water changes is that it will create large swings if you are not dosing. I think the triton supplements other methods is pretty bullet proof but you do need a 4 part doser. if you are serious about having a successful reef tank might as well get it now. I also don't think all salts are created equal. red sea or tropic marin are good and make sure you are mixing with ROI water. I would say that before you start adding a bunch of corals make sure you have your Nitrate and PH stable.

nycjwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 05:57 PM   #6
Punchanello
Registered Member

I definitely intend to get a doser sooner rather than later.

I guess I'm just questioning the wisdom of an all in approach re: dosing beyond the three staples right off the bat.

My plan having read the helpful replies is to dose randy's recipe when there is starting to be some uptake in the tank. I think I can learn a lot from that excercise. Once I understand the basic needs of my tank I'll have a look at the various commercial 2 part and balling method products. At least I'll have some idea of quantities etc.

What is the current thinking on trace elements etc? Don't dose what you can't test for seems wise, but now that ICP is in play, we can virtually test for everything. Is there evidence that trace elements improve health, colour and growth?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My tank build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647315

Last edited by Punchanello; 02/19/2018 at 06:16 PM.
Punchanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 06:52 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

There are a few items that you might consider dosing, in addition to calcium and alkalinity. Magnesium often is fine just with water changes. Iron and silica can be useful in some circumstances. This article might help:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Unread 02/19/2018, 07:40 PM   #8
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Help for a new reefer - 2 part, trace elements and other stuff

Water changes do not create large swings, that is why it is ideal to use water changes to keep stability, dosing is where people get into problems.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote