User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2015, 10:55 AM   #451
stpatrick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post
Gregory's three-year system:

dimensions: 168x80x55

ATI powermodule dimm with Pacific sun T5 tubes mostly: 2 x pigment int, 2 x spectra plus, 1 x shallow water, 3 x crystal blue and 2 x Fauna Marin Ultra Royal blue
skimmer: Red skim 250
Live rocks, bb, Fauna marin activated carbon, all in one biopellets in a recirculating reactor
saltmix: Fauna Marin Professional sea salt
simple balling, not full (Fauna Marin calcium mix, carbonat mix, magnesium mix)
additives: Fauna Marin color elements, Salifert Coralline aminoacids, bacteria Biogro 123

I'll ask Mirek for a photo.

Krzysztof
Sorry to bug how would this combo stack up to yours? I kind of with I had ordered the 10 tube model.

4x crystal blue, 1 x crystal UV, 1x pigment intense and 1x shallow water

stpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2015, 03:30 PM   #452
Lucifa68
Registered Member

hi krzysztof, lovely tank. just a quick question for you. how often do you have to top up your reactor with the pellets??? hence how long would you say a bag of pellets would last you????

thanks lucifa

Lucifa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2015, 12:03 PM   #453
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Really enjoyed your video, the colors are super rich. The yellow acro is just incredible, can you give specifics about it as to type and lineage?, i.e. wild, maricultured or captive?

tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 03:10 AM   #454
tdong
Registered Member

HI! lunar, how long have your P.evansi going? and can you share some experiences with this anthias? thanks very much

tdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2015, 02:23 PM   #455
stpatrick
Registered Member

Hi Lunar. I received my PacSun bulbs and are planning to swap out my ati bulbs. What do you think about this combo? The bad thing about the ATI power modual. The out two bulbs on each side are on the same channel and the inner two bubs, with the leds in between, are on the same channel. Do you think this will be two blue? What would you run?

Thanks for the help.

Crystal UV (super actinic/true violet),
Crystal Blue (actinic with increased UV emission),
Spectra Plus 19500K (Crystal Blue + Shallow Water mix),
Pigment INT+ (Shallow Water with pink/violet peak),
LED LED
Crystal Blue (actinic with increased UV emission)
Shallow Water (18000K crisp white with high CRI),
Crystal Blue (actinic with increased UV emission),
Crystal UV (super actinic/true violet),

stpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 02:28 PM   #456
KritikaL
Registered Member

what bulbs does lunar use ?

KritikaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2015, 01:38 AM   #457
ClearwaterUK
Registered Member

The tube mix is on Post 310

ClearwaterUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2015, 07:50 AM   #458
tzh21y
Registered Member

Did you find the Copperband a challenge to thrive in your reef? How did you get it to feed? How long have you had it? Beautiful reef! The best I have ever seen!

tzh21y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2015, 07:16 AM   #459
kingbonno
Registered Member

Time for an update:P looking forward to it

kingbonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2015, 10:54 AM   #460
cdial
Registered Member

Hey Lunar, Have you been having any issues with the GFO from the AIO Biopellets fouling the impeller and pump on your reactor? After reading quite a bit about them it seems a lot of people are having that issue with recirculating reactors and the AIO pellets. The gfo sticks to the magnet in the pump and pump output slowly decreases. Thanks.

cdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2015, 01:50 AM   #461
lunar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdial View Post
Hey Lunar, Have you been having any issues with the GFO from the AIO Biopellets fouling the impeller and pump on your reactor? After reading quite a bit about them it seems a lot of people are having that issue with recirculating reactors and the AIO pellets. The gfo sticks to the magnet in the pump and pump output slowly decreases. Thanks.
Sorry, I haven't been here for long time but I'm still in reefkeeping :-)

I haven't had any issue with my pump so far, it works very well, I haven't clean it since July 2014. I'm not sure but think that problems might be related to an impeller in a pump. I use Aquabee pump where an impeller has got enough space.

Krzysztof

lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2015, 06:22 PM   #462
cdial
Registered Member

Thank you. I have an eheim pump on my recirculating reactor. I'm gonna try the AIO. Just hoping I can have half the success as your tank.

Unread 05/07/2015, 07:11 PM   #463
Tokyoyankee
Registered Member

Awesome tank! I know that you dose BioGro123 every WC, but is it necessary? Since you're carbon dosing, those bacteria strains should stay consistent in your tank right?

Tokyoyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2015, 02:05 PM   #464
lunar
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you. I have an eheim pump on my recirculating reactor. I'm gonna try the AIO. Just hoping I can have half the success as your tank.
Thank you, cdial. Hope you'll have even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyoyankee View Post
Awesome tank! I know that you dose BioGro123 every WC, but is it necessary? Since you're carbon dosing, those bacteria strains should stay consistent in your tank right?
Compare with Zeovit method, please. You add Zeostart - food for bacteria and Zeobak - bacteria all the time. AIO are food for bacteria and place for settling, biogro - bacteria. However, I don't dose biogro every day or every other day but once weekly after wc. I don't know whether it's permitted but this quote from another forum explains exactly what I think: "The general misconception is that bacterium is all powerful and never dies. It is only natural for us to assume that since whenever we are sick from bacterial infection, bacteria don’t seem to go away until we use antibiotics on them. This is however far from the truth - bacterium is in fact a very fragile life form. According to scientists, most bacteria do not survive for more than 15 minutes outside laboratory conditions. And each time water circulation in your aquarium system stops for 30 minutes, as much as one third of the bacteria population can be wiped out. Bacteria can also die from diseases, poisoning and the lack of suitable food. So while the bacteria in your aquarium system are multiplying, they may also be dying at the same time. So if a large proportion of the bacteria population gets wiped off for whatever reasons, toxic ammonia and nitrate will build up very rapidly resulting in massive life-stock deaths. It is therefore wise to dose bacteria on a regular basis. This is to ensure there is always a sizeable bacteria culture in your aquarium system to get rid of toxic ammonia and nitrite. Besides, bacteria also helps to keep your aquarium water clear by feeding on un-consumed food and livestock waste. You can never over-dose bacteria."

Krzysztof

Unread 05/08/2015, 07:43 PM   #465
cdial
Registered Member

Hi again Krzysztof, I'm doing everything you do lol. Your success proves your method. The bacteria additions make perfect sense. With the current Triton method in Europe becoming popular in the US I've seen people saying water changes are not necessary. I will keep changing water as it has worked well for you. Have you tried the Triton method or have any insight about the benefits of water changes with your tank? I have led lighting vs t5. I wish I would have read your thread and seen the colors of your lighting before building my lights. I would have thought hard about using the t5. So I have been researching the spectrum of the bulbs you utilize to try and find the right color combination. Have you ever measured the par of your lights. Thanks again for all the great advise.

Unread 05/09/2015, 01:32 AM   #466
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70K...KKCKiYpAFPw07A

Wow.

I always show people that video.

You have the Best Tank Ever!

How do you do it?

How much time do you put into it every week?

How long have you been Reefing?

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2015, 01:42 PM   #467
Rodrigo_BG
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you, cdial. Hope you'll have even better.

Compare with Zeovit method, please. You add Zeostart - food for bacteria and Zeobak - bacteria all the time. AIO are food for bacteria and place for settling, biogro - bacteria. However, I don't dose biogro every day or every other day but once weekly after wc. I don't know whether it's permitted but this quote from another forum explains exactly what I think: "The general misconception is that bacterium is all powerful and never dies. It is only natural for us to assume that since whenever we are sick from bacterial infection, bacteria don’t seem to go away until we use antibiotics on them. This is however far from the truth - bacterium is in fact a very fragile life form. According to scientists, most bacteria do not survive for more than 15 minutes outside laboratory conditions. And each time water circulation in your aquarium system stops for 30 minutes, as much as one third of the bacteria population can be wiped out. Bacteria can also die from diseases, poisoning and the lack of suitable food. So while the bacteria in your aquarium system are multiplying, they may also be dying at the same time. So if a large proportion of the bacteria population gets wiped off for whatever reasons, toxic ammonia and nitrate will build up very rapidly resulting in massive life-stock deaths. It is therefore wise to dose bacteria on a regular basis. This is to ensure there is always a sizeable bacteria culture in your aquarium system to get rid of toxic ammonia and nitrite. Besides, bacteria also helps to keep your aquarium water clear by feeding on un-consumed food and livestock waste. You can never over-dose bacteria."

Krzysztof
great info

Current Tank Info: 45G Rimless & SPS
Rodrigo_BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2015, 01:55 PM   #468
lunar
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi again Krzysztof, I'm doing everything you do lol. Your success proves your method. The bacteria additions make perfect sense. With the current Triton method in Europe becoming popular in the US I've seen people saying water changes are not necessary. I will keep changing water as it has worked well for you. Have you tried the Triton method or have any insight about the benefits of water changes with your tank? I have led lighting vs t5. I wish I would have read your thread and seen the colors of your lighting before building my lights. I would have thought hard about using the t5. So I have been researching the spectrum of the bulbs you utilize to try and find the right color combination. Have you ever measured the par of your lights. Thanks again for all the great advise.
No, I haven't tried the Triton method so far, I'm not attracted to it. This method would make me dependent on the Triton tests, on their solutions and instructions. Who would maintain a tank, a man from Triton laboratory or me? I would feel an automat. I don't want to discredit the Triton method but it isn't for me.

In my opinion wc are essential for tanks, especially with the balling method, I would affraid that some harmful elements will build up with time. I see how my corals react after wc, they extend their polyps much more as if they wanted to refresh themselves.

No, I haven't measured the par of my lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that Fish Guy View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70K...KKCKiYpAFPw07A

Wow.

I always show people that video.

You have the Best Tank Ever!

How do you do it?

How much time do you put into it every week?

How long have you been Reefing?
Hello Fish Guy,
Hope you read the thread and know that this video is the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70KV_dZ9UE

How much time I put into reefkeeping? Almost every hour during a day because in addition to home aquarium I have a shop with sps corals. I'm almost 20 years in reefkeeping.

Krzysztof
https://www.facebook.com/aqua.mor.Krzysztof.Tryc

Unread 05/09/2015, 10:43 PM   #469
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
No, I haven't tried the Triton method so far, I'm not attracted to it. This method would make me dependent on the Triton tests, on their solutions and instructions. Who would maintain a tank, a man from Triton laboratory or me? I would feel an automat. I don't want to discredit the Triton method but it isn't for me.

In my opinion wc are essential for tanks, especially with the balling method, I would affraid that some harmful elements will build up with time. I see how my corals react after wc, they extend their polyps much more as if they wanted to refresh themselves.

No, I haven't measured the par of my lights.

Hello Fish Guy,
Hope you read the thread and know that this video is the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70KV_dZ9UE

How much time I put into reefkeeping? Almost every hour during a day because in addition to home aquarium I have a shop with sps corals. I'm almost 20 years in reefkeeping.

Krzysztof
I will (Need some time as I spend all my time Reefing too).

What do you mean the Tanks is the Past?

Did you take it down?

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2015, 12:53 AM   #470
lunar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by that Fish Guy View Post
I will (Need some time as I spend all my time Reefing too).

What do you mean the Tanks is the Past?

Did you take it down?
Fish Guy, don't be lazy Start reading from #112 and you'll know everything

Krzysztof

Unread 05/10/2015, 05:40 AM   #471
cdial
Registered Member

Beautiful Store as well. Very nice. I wish I could keep tanks for a profession.

Unread 05/10/2015, 02:54 PM   #472
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Krzystof,

This is the same coral, yes? One picture in 9/2013 and the next picture 8/2014.

Questions:

1) In 9/2013 you used an ATI Powermodule, yes?
2) When did you change to Diuna?
3) What is your opinion, why was the color poor in 9/2013 or more importantly what made the coral become so colorful?

Thanks as always!

Joe

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2015, 03:07 PM   #473
JPMagyar
Registered Member

And, I just want to add, you are inspiring me to try T5 again. I believe these pictures represent the finest coral coloration I have ever seen. Green, blue, and purple are easy, but you have true yellow and pink and red that are unmatched. It is truly amazing. I am hunting for another photo of corals that are better and so far I can not find any!!

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2015, 07:46 PM   #474
Rodrigo_BG
Registered Member

is this coral a millepora?

absolute stuning color

Current Tank Info: 45G Rimless & SPS
Rodrigo_BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 02:06 PM   #475
lunar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
Krzystof,

This is the same coral, yes? One picture in 9/2013 and the next picture 8/2014.

Questions:

1) In 9/2013 you used an ATI Powermodule, yes?
2) When did you change to Diuna?
3) What is your opinion, why was the color poor in 9/2013 or more importantly what made the coral become so colorful?

Thanks as always!

Joe

Yes, this is the same acropora. It was a small frag about 4cm when I bought it. I changed ATI into Diuna in January 2014. You probably connect a change in colour saturation only with light. I don't think. After some months of using Diuna lamp I came back to ATI lamp because of easier access during replacing of tubes.

In my opinion the change of colour might be caused by:
1/ some corals need a long time to get its true colour, a frag looks often completely different than its mother
2/ variable amount of organic compounds - what is quite impossible to measure
3/ I don't add microelements in regular doses but when I feel it's necessary observing my corals
4/ not always you can take a picture that shows a real intensity of colour

There are more causes, I mentioned only some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
And, I just want to add, you are inspiring me to try T5 again. I believe these pictures represent the finest coral coloration I have ever seen. Green, blue, and purple are easy, but you have true yellow and pink and red that are unmatched. It is truly amazing. I am hunting for another photo of corals that are better and so far I can not find any!!

Yes, I think that T5 give you all palette of colours. Your corals can be beautiful under leds but you can't get all the diversity of colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo_BG View Post
is this coral a millepora?

absolute stuning color
Yes, this is acropora millepora.

Krzysztof