Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2016, 11:50 AM   #126
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
if thats the case, my advice would be to have your water tested by Triton and see .

I would suspect you have some stuff in there you dont know about already.
Ya. Likely find some copper seeing how this whole system was coppered about 4 months ago. Rock and all.

Unread 05/24/2016, 12:03 PM   #127
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Again. In case this gets lost. My new experiment with the sand filter. Dosing viniger relying on the sand filter to filter out the bacteria. The video explains it way better. And for those just finding my videos. This tank was coppered 4 months ago using cuprimine and then treated with cuprisorb. I've done it before to my old 300 and never experienced any problems. Here's the vid
http://youtu.be/D_KRC-jbdiA

Unread 05/24/2016, 01:20 PM   #128
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman123 View Post
Ya. Likely find some copper seeing how this whole system was coppered about 4 months ago. Rock and all.
damn....im a little shocked your corals are OK. Surely there is residual copper. Did you have corals in there when you did the copper treatment?

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 06:12 PM   #129
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
damn....im a little shocked your corals are OK. Surely there is residual copper. Did you have corals in there when you did the copper treatment?
No all the coral was out. I had it in the 150. I used seachem cuprimine. And after a month I used cuprisorb for about a week or so and about a week later all the coral went back in. Haven't looked back.

Unread 05/25/2016, 06:59 AM   #130
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Horace is absolutely right about the introduction of contaminates from the tap water. But IMHO he is seriously overthinking the situation. You have what, 500 gallon of saltwater in your entire system? And how much tap water would be left in the sand filter after it's drained? Maybe a couple fluid ounces? So the dilution is what, about 60:1 in a gallon and you have 500 gallons so 30,000:1. And that's tap water with low levels of contamination to saltwater at 30,000:1. You could flush it with pure vinegar and it wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Ron Reefman; 05/25/2016 at 07:06 AM.
Ron Reefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 09:34 AM   #131
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Horace is absolutely right about the introduction of contaminates from the tap water. But IMHO he is seriously overthinking the situation. You have what, 500 gallon of saltwater in your entire system? And how much tap water would be left in the sand filter after it's drained? Maybe a couple fluid ounces? So the dilution is what, about 60:1 in a gallon and you have 500 gallons so 30,000:1. And that's tap water with low levels of contamination to saltwater at 30,000:1. You could flush it with pure vinegar and it wouldn't be a problem.
I had to chuckle at it to be truthful.

Unread 05/25/2016, 12:59 PM   #132
plecoco
Registered Member

Bookmarked this for inspiration.

Current Tank Info: 10g tank looking for stocking ideas
plecoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 01:49 AM   #133
Happyschneider
Registered Member

I see a bucket of sand in my future! At least if I get my fish room

Thanks for sharing!

180 liter, sumpless reef, no skimmer for the moment.

Current Tank Info: Juwel VISION 180, currently only invertebrates, planning to have low bioload as I have no skimmer and no refugium for the moment.
Happyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 09:06 AM   #134
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
I had to chuckle at it to be truthful.
I think the estimate of a few fluid oz is way short....I would bet at least a few cups of water are held in the sand. Now if a few cups every few days is an issue or not..thats diff story, but i bet its far more than just a few oz. Sand holds a lot of water.

Unread 05/26/2016, 09:16 AM   #135
stage3-s4
Registered Member

I think Horace has a very valid point. People seem to forget that elements can building up in tanks much quicker than in an ocean. I recommend reading this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

stage3-s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 05:52 AM   #136
Horace
Registered Member

Regardless of the debate on using tap water etc, I think this idea is pretty damn cool. I have been doing a great deal of brainstorming on it, and think this could be taken to another level. If you were able to get valves that are programmable, you could have a reef controller backflush this thing for you every day. This way, you would never have to manually backflush it, and it would would remove risk of this thing creating nitrates from all the O2 rich water running through the collected waste. Plus it likely wouldnt have to backflush very long because its only 1 day worth of crap built up. I actually have a programmable 3/4" hose valve already that could be used to turn the fresh water on/off, but what I dont have is a large valve for the 1.5" PVC return you have there. I have to do some thinking on this, but this would be awesome

Unread 05/27/2016, 06:42 AM   #137
stage3-s4
Registered Member

Quote:
Regardless of the debate on using tap water etc, I think this idea is pretty damn cool. I have been doing a great deal of brainstorming on it, and think this could be taken to another level. If you were able to get valves that are programmable, you could have a reef controller backflush this thing for you every day. This way, you would never have to manually backflush it, and it would would remove risk of this thing creating nitrates from all the O2 rich water running through the collected waste. Plus it likely wouldnt have to backflush very long because its only 1 day worth of crap built up. I actually have a programmable 3/4" hose valve already that could be used to turn the fresh water on/off, but what I dont have is a large valve for the 1.5" PVC return you have there. I have to do some thinking on this, but this would be awesome
I was thinking of something the on the same lines. What about backflushing when you do a water change? Just reverse the flow and have a valve switch from tank return to drain. This way you don't have to worry about wasting RODI/Fresh saltwater to backflush. Than you can just re-fill with fresh Salt water when your are done backflushing. You can deff automate something like this with a controller.

stage3-s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2016, 07:08 AM   #138
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Backflushing with tank water and adding new saltwater is an interesting idea. But it seems to me, if you are going to add that much (whatever it takes to do the backflush) in new saltwater on a daily or even once every 4 or 5 days like CM does, you may not even need a filter of any kind!

Unread 05/27/2016, 08:12 AM   #139
Horace
Registered Member

I dont do water changes that often so I would prefer the fresh water method for sure. If I build on of these, I still plan to use RO, or at minimum carbon filtered water for the flush though...call me paranoid, but better safe than sorry

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Unread 05/27/2016, 08:50 PM   #140
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
I dont do water changes that often so I would prefer the fresh water method for sure. If I build on of these, I still plan to use RO, or at minimum carbon filtered water for the flush though...call me paranoid, but better safe than sorry

In a perfect world your way is the best for sure.

Unread 05/27/2016, 08:52 PM   #141
Horace
Registered Member

CM. If we can find a way for the apex to do auto back flush...then we are cooking with Gas.........

And because it's automated, it could do one every night to avoid nitrate buildup

Unread 05/27/2016, 08:54 PM   #142
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
CM. If we can find a way for the apex to do auto back flush...then we are cooking with Gas...........

I'm cooking with gas now man. I don't wanna complicate things. I don't mind taking a few mins to backflush at all.

Unread 05/27/2016, 08:57 PM   #143
cabinetman123
Registered Member

As far as the nitrates building up its not going to be any worst than filter socks.

Unread 05/27/2016, 08:57 PM   #144
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm cooking with gas now man. I don't wanna complicate things. I don't mind taking a few mins to backflush at all.
Automation man....i want the tank to run itself ;P

Unread 05/28/2016, 08:55 AM   #145
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
+1 that's my goal too. I'll do some big things occasionally but I want to focus on gardening my reef, not maintaining it.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 11:35 AM   #146
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
As far as the nitrates building up its not going to be any worst than filter socks.
I'm not saying it is worse, but ideally u would change out filter socks every day. Most don't because it's a pita to do so. However with your setup, and some automation, you could easily set it up to back flush every day, so it would actually be better than using socks. I don't think there is any way short of a robot that could change socks . So you get best of both worlds by adding automation.

Unread 05/28/2016, 04:20 PM   #147
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm not saying it is worse, but ideally u would change out filter socks every day. Most don't because it's a pita to do so. However with your setup, and some automation, you could easily set it up to back flush every day, so it would actually be better than using socks. I don't think there is any way short of a robot that could change socks . So you get best of both worlds by adding automation.

The trick is getting the automation done at a price that makes sense. And doing the automation on the cheap is probably a very bad idea, set it, leave it and then it goes crapola and you don't even notice till it's to late. Besides, I like keeping my hands on the system, it's like driving a manual transmission car, it helps keep your head in the game... well, for me anyway.

Unread 05/28/2016, 05:30 PM   #148
Horace
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
The trick is getting the automation done at a price that makes sense. And doing the automation on the cheap is probably a very bad idea, set it, leave it and then it goes crapola and you don't even notice till it's to late. Besides, I like keeping my hands on the system, it's like driving a manual transmission car, it helps keep your head in the game... well, for me anyway.
No doubt something like this needs to be done right. Assuming I do automate it...it's going to be solid...and have fail-safes built in. It won't be cheap. Nothing in this hobby is. That being said, I put a high value on my time, do spending a few hundred extra to minimize the amount of maintenance I need to do makes the hobby more enjoyable and long term I feel results in more success.

Unread 05/28/2016, 06:56 PM   #149
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

I may have skipped this when I skimmed the thread but I would replace that brass valve before you kill your tank

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2016, 07:25 PM   #150
cabinetman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Lol. Power to ya. I'd be worried something would screw up.