Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2019, 08:15 AM   #1
j.falk
Registered Member

Question Is this true?

I read an Ebay auction description for green star polyps the other day that stated the following:

Great for introducing into marine aquariums. As a nutrient exporter, it absorbs, or feeds on dissolved organic waste. This Green Star Polyps thrives on fish waste, nitrates, & phosphates.

I was wondering how much truth there was to the seller's statement? If it actually does use fish waste, nitrates and phosphates to grow...that seems like an ideal coral to have in an aquarium to help control nutrients.

If it is true, do all soft corals use waste, nitrates and phosphates to grow?

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2019, 08:32 AM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
I read an Ebay auction description for green star polyps the other day that stated the following:

Great for introducing into marine aquariums. As a nutrient exporter, it absorbs, or feeds on dissolved organic waste. This Green Star Polyps thrives on fish waste, nitrates, & phosphates.

I was wondering how much truth there was to the seller's statement? If it actually does use fish waste, nitrates and phosphates to grow...that seems like an ideal coral to have in an aquarium to help control nutrients.

If it is true, do all soft corals use waste, nitrates and phosphates to grow?

All corals use nitrogen and phosphate, yes. They’re fundamental building blocks of zooxanthellae. Too much and there can be problems. Too much of anything is bad. You’d need a truckload of gsp to make a measurable reduction in nutrient levels in a closed system. That is just a shifty sales tactic to take advantage of inexperienced buyers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2019, 08:41 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep...that is true of ALL corals.

Unread 07/05/2019, 08:47 AM   #4
j.falk
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpb View Post
All corals use nitrogen and phosphate, yes. They’re fundamental building blocks of zooxanthellae. Too much and there can be problems. Too much of anything is bad. You’d need a truckload of gsp to make a measurable reduction in nutrient levels in a closed system. That is just a shifty sales tactic to take advantage of inexperienced buyers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Yep...that is true of ALL corals.
Thank you!

Another question:

I keep seeing videos and photos of nano reef aquariums that are fully covered / jam packed with corals. What happens if an aquarium runs out of room (surface area) for corals to grow? Do they just stop growing or do they start dying off and pollute the tank?

Last edited by j.falk; 07/05/2019 at 09:31 AM.
Unread 07/05/2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Daddi0
Registered Member

The corals start to murder their neighbors

Unread 07/06/2019, 04:22 AM   #6
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
The corals start to murder their neighbors
What if a tank was full of only one type of coral?

Unread 07/06/2019, 06:09 AM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

It would eventually start to die off in places that no longer have sufficient flow or lighting to support it.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2019, 03:14 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
What if a tank was full of only one type of coral?
If it is green stars you will learn to hate them as virtually all of us, who as newbies, tried them as they look cool.

Not ever getting near my tank again.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 01:55 AM   #9
Reid
Registered Member

If you want some add it to a rock island in flow. This can be trimmed back easy where as if it hits the main reef structure it will go everywhere.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 03:26 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

A local store here has a display tank completely overgrown with green star polyps and it actually looks awesome.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2019, 04:04 AM   #11
speedo2wet
Sharks!!!!

Be warned as other have tried to warn you. Once they grab a hold, they will take over your tank and grow everywhere. They will strangle your other corals. Best bet is to grow them directly on the and bed- easier to keep the colony at bay, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedo2wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2019, 06:11 AM   #12
j.falk
Registered Member

Are there different types of GSP? I've seen the different color varieties, but I've also seen some described as "branching"?

Unread 07/12/2019, 09:54 AM   #13
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo2wet View Post
Be warned as other have tried to warn you. Once they grab a hold, they will take over your tank and grow everywhere. They will strangle your other corals. Best bet is to grow them directly on the and bed- easier to keep the colony at bay, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have any corals yet. I'd like to grow them along the sand bed if possible.

Unread 07/13/2019, 01:08 PM   #14
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Put down some small flat pcs. of live rock on the sand bed next to ea. other in a spot that gets medium flow, then place the GSP frag in the center & watch it spread....It is a good starter beginner coral as it does give instant satisfaction growth wise in a reasonably mature tank.....Its what i did, then when its covering all the rocks just cut them all apart & give the frags to the LFS or friends & start over IF you really want it in the tank but not out of control. Does give a nice green look & yes it does come in different colors, it is a softy coral & has a sting so dont let it come into contact with other corals in the future and run carbon IF you decide to have a lot of it as it gives off toxins like all soft corals do and some LPS & SPS don't get along well with these toxins. This way if you decide down the rd. you don't want it anymore its easy to remove. Ive kept just 1 small frag in the tank wife likes the waving grass look............

Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 01:42 PM   #15
j.falk
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
Put down some small flat pcs. of live rock on the sand bed next to ea. other in a spot that gets medium flow, then place the GSP frag in the center & watch it spread....It is a good starter beginner coral as it does give instant satisfaction growth wise in a reasonably mature tank.....Its what i did, then when its covering all the rocks just cut them all apart & give the frags to the LFS or friends & start over IF you really want it in the tank but not out of control. Does give a nice green look & yes it does come in different colors, it is a softy coral & has a sting so dont let it come into contact with other corals in the future and run carbon IF you decide to have a lot of it as it gives off toxins like all soft corals do and some LPS & SPS don't get along well with these toxins. This way if you decide down the rd. you don't want it anymore its easy to remove. Ive kept just 1 small frag in the tank wife likes the waving grass look............
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. Does it ever grow on to the sand bed or does it strictly stay on the rocks?

Unread 07/13/2019, 02:39 PM   #16
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

It prefers a hard surface normally but if out of space will send out arms searching for another surface when it has run out of rock that is why i remove & frag it to restart the cycle of growth. Its a growth of mat with polyps so it does not grow into sand only over it & easily picked up. Since it likes light it will grow up a solid glass side verses the sandbed if given a choice everytime.

Unread 07/13/2019, 05:49 PM   #17
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I grow GSP on the back of the glass, about three inches from the top.
They always grow towards the light but are limited by the water surface, so they look great and never become overgrown.

Also, on the glass, they are quite easy to remove in large pieces, glue to a plug, and back to the store for trade.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2019, 07:42 PM   #18
j.falk
Registered Member

What's wrong with having a tank dominated by one coral?

Unread 07/14/2019, 12:46 PM   #19
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Yawn........., huh, what?