Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2008, 10:17 AM   #101
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jadeguppy
I plan to put some pillars in there.
Keep in mind that BTA's like to have their foot under an overhang and reach out and up towards the light and current whereas the magnifica likes to sit on top of a smooth pillar. So the rock pillar is different for different types of anemones. BTA's when first introduced or not happy can also just let go and float to a different part of the tank. I have been luck and only had one BTA escapee.

Last edited by mobert; 08/08/2008 at 11:05 AM.
mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 10:23 AM   #102
mobert
Registered Member

You can kind of see where the feet are in this picture:

Last edited by mobert; 08/08/2008 at 10:38 AM.
Unread 08/08/2008, 10:31 AM   #103
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rkelman
I have about 340 black and white ocellaris down stairs
I would set up another tank if I were able to get a clutch of black and white ocellaris!!! Seriously, I've been waiting for a local breeder's pair to be prolific. Your grow-out tanks are great but a couple of RBTA's with them would be better. do it do it do it!!!

Quote:
Right now my clown pair decided to host on my goniopora,...How far away from things do they need to be to keep them from moving? I'm setting up a 125g and am thinking about putting in pillars and islands. Do you think I could keep 1 or 2 contained?
Ideally, for BTA's the island should be directly under a light source. When they open up, anything they can touch, they can move across to. So glass and adjacent rocks have to be out of reach. They tend to travel up more than down. They don't like direct current on their foot. I would say in a 125g, you should be able to contain a few.

Unread 08/08/2008, 12:04 PM   #104
Leopard Man
Registered Member

Quote:
I vote this tank of the month. Anyone want to join me?
I'll join you, now if only I could vote

Leopard Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 12:18 PM   #105
todd03blown
Premium Member

I made a post a little earlier regarding my 20G. What are your thoughts on having 3-4 clowns and anemones only in a tank this size? Doing something like you have on a much much smaller scale? would this be successful?

todd03blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 12:38 PM   #106
rkelman
Registered Member

Too bad your so far away. I'm sure you get splits from your BTAs.. We could have worked something out I would think a growout would be a bad spot for a BTA. No rock and nasty water compared to a reef setup.

rkelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 12:40 PM   #107
jadeguppy
Registered Member

You can rate threads at the bottom of the page.

I have never seen a green bta. Where did you find one? Also, how big will the mag get? Any change in the clowns with a more natural home?

jadeguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2008, 12:43 PM   #108
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by todd03blown
I made a post a little earlier regarding my 20G. What are your thoughts on having 3-4 clowns and anemones only in a tank this size? Doing something like you have on a much much smaller scale? would this be successful?
Sorry I didn't answer earlier, I hate being the barer of bad news. IMHO, 20 gallon tank is small for any anemone plus I don't recommend putting more than two clowns in most tanks. In a 20 gallon I definitely wouldn't put more than two in. Clowns can be very mean to each other.

Some people have managed to keep an anemone in a nano but it is not easy to maintain stable and well oxygenated water conditions.

Unread 08/08/2008, 12:49 PM   #109
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Too bad your so far away. I'm sure you get splits from your BTAs.. We could have worked something out I would think a growout would be a bad spot for a BTA. No rock and nasty water compared to a reef setup.
I had a single rock with a RBTA in the grow out tank. It teaches the babies what an anemone is. You just have to be careful there are no big worms or other critter in the rock that could eat the babies. I bet your water in the grow out is actually pretty good with the constant water changes. Remember this picture?

Last edited by mobert; 08/08/2008 at 12:56 PM.
Unread 08/08/2008, 12:53 PM   #110
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
I have never seen a green bta. Where did you find one? Also, how big will the mag get? Any change in the clowns with a more natural home?
I got my GBTA from Dolphin Pet Village in Campbell, California---same place as my H. Magnifica. The GBTA was a clone that they propagate.

This is my first experience with a mag. Maybe someone reading can answer...

It has only been 8 days with the new mag so no obvious change yet.

Thanks for the questions.

Last edited by mobert; 08/08/2008 at 01:02 PM.
Unread 08/08/2008, 12:57 PM   #111
rkelman
Registered Member

Very cool Mona. I might just do that...

Unread 08/08/2008, 02:22 PM   #112
mobert
Registered Member

I am wanting to add a black and white ocellaris to my tank. If I can find a very very young one, I think it would be ok. Animals have baby immunity with the same species as long as they aren't food size. Shot from my old tank:

Baby Clarkii and baby Banggais with an Ocellaris. A whole clutch of black and white would look really cool. I don't know if an Ocellaris would stay immature like the other Percs though.

Too bad there aren't black and white true percs. A black sheep in the herd would be like Where's Waldo.

Last edited by mobert; 08/08/2008 at 02:33 PM.
Unread 08/08/2008, 02:37 PM   #113
rkelman
Registered Member

I think the Ocellaris would stay juvi but Percs can be ruthless towards other clowns. I don't think I'd advise that. I had a pair that seriously beat up my now mating pair of Ocellaris even though the Ocellaris were twice the size of the Percs. Maybe an Onyx or Jigsaw?

Unread 08/08/2008, 02:47 PM   #114
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the Ocellaris would stay juvi but Percs can be ruthless towards other clowns. I don't think I'd advise that. I had a pair that seriously beat up my now mating pair of Ocellaris even though the Ocellaris were twice the size of the Percs. Maybe an Onyx or Jigsaw?
yeah, naughty percs. better leave well enough alone.

Unread 08/11/2008, 02:39 PM   #115
mobert
Registered Member

My gold BTA was looking a little bleached in my stock Biocube 29 so I moved it into this tank:

The mouth of the mag looks good still on day 12:

Unread 08/11/2008, 05:56 PM   #116
AD87
Registered Member

Mobert I dont seem to have good luck with ordering Mags online do you get them online or retail store?

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2008, 05:56 PM   #117
AD87
Registered Member

Mobert I dont seem to have good luck with ordering Mags online do you get them online or retail store?

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2008, 06:02 PM   #118
mobert
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speeddemonlsr
I got mine from a retail store. I saw it there weeks earlier before I bought it.

Unread 08/11/2008, 09:03 PM   #119
Justin/TiV
Registered Member

I've been planning to do very similar setup with my 220, and ran into this thread on accident. I've got a local guy that breeds false percs and was going to go for about 20.

Had a couple questions...Should I add anems and fish about the same time or what. Also. What do I do about power heads...I've heard some people cover them, and some people don't recommend them at all. And I figured since this is the only tank I've ever seen like what I was going for I would ask you your opinion...

you have the most amazing tank ever...I love SPS systems...and I've done that, but I kinda like this idea better....thanx in advance

Justin/TiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2008, 09:07 PM   #120
mikey1284
Premium Member

Wow. Love the tank. Great job.

Current Tank Info: 25 gal salt water with fiji rock and fishies....
mikey1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2008, 09:50 PM   #121
mobert
Registered Member

Thanks Justin and Mikey,

I appreciate the comments.

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin/TiV
I've been planning to do very similar setup with my 220, and ran into this thread on accident. I've got a local guy that breeds false percs and was going to go for about 20.

Had a couple questions...Should I add anems and fish about the same time or what. Also. What do I do about power heads...I've heard some people cover them, and some people don't recommend them at all. And I figured since this is the only tank I've ever seen like what I was going for I would ask you your opinion...

you have the most amazing tank ever...I love SPS systems...and I've done that, but I kinda like this idea better....thanx in advance
I would add the anemones first. Let them get established. I've had no problems with the Tunze Streams. Probably because the anemones are well established and not moving around much. I like powerheads because of the low energy use versus a closed loop pump, but they are not as clean looking. Will your ocellaris be big enough to handle the current in a 220? Click on the red house for my tank set up information. I would start off with more than 20. You can always sell them to the store if it gets crowded.

Update: the Gold BTA when into the rocks. I hope it comes back out...

Unread 08/12/2008, 09:11 AM   #122
Justin/TiV
Registered Member

Quote:
[i]I would add the anemones first. Let them get established. I've had no problems with the Tunze Streams. Probably because the anemones are well established and not moving around much. I like powerheads because of the low energy use versus a closed loop pump, but they are not as clean looking. Will your ocellaris be big enough to handle the current in a 220? Click on the red house for my tank set up information. I would start off with more than 20. You can always sell them to the store if it gets crowded. [/B]
it will pop back out...just hope it's where you want it too.

Hadn't put alot of thought into flow yet. I've never had clowns so young before, and that had not crossed my mind. As of now there isn't much flow. Mag 9.5 return. And a nano tunze, and weakest Koralina. I'll go check out your little red house before I ask any more questions. Thanx for the responce

Justin

Unread 08/12/2008, 09:25 AM   #123
Justin/TiV
Registered Member

when I get my clowns they won't be babies anymore...but should have grown up together and be getting along or not by the time I get them...is flow an issue at that point (prolly depends how big they are i guess)

Unread 08/12/2008, 10:26 AM   #124
vsuboy
Registered Member

wow. that is amazing.

ive never seen anything like that.

its just amazing.

the pics are soon pretty.

vsuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2008, 12:21 PM   #125
mobert
Registered Member

vsuboy---thanks for the comment. It encourages me to post more pictures.

You were right Justin! It popped back out at the very top. Good thing it's not mixed reef on that side. I'll have to watch him. If ever a BTA looks like a potential floater it is this one. It was placed in the bottom left side next to the nepthea and is now at the top right.

Last edited by mobert; 08/12/2008 at 12:31 PM.