Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2021, 09:02 AM   #1
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

ID please and eradication suggestions? PIC added

Are these brown polyps? I had a guy I traded something for these a few years ago which I think was a big mistake. These things started spreading pretty fast. I then had a tank failure and left the lights off for over a year since everything died. I just moved my tank to another location and started everything back up. These survived everything!!! If these are invasive, I think I need to start getting rid of them without taking my landscape completely apart. I read about putting another coral next to them that is tougher in life...haha I heard duncans are a good choice? Does anyone agree with this logic? are there other corals I could try?

Is this picture good enough to ID?

Thanks all!!

Last edited by Radicaljbr; 03/04/2021 at 11:00 AM.
Radicaljbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

No picture ----

Unread 03/04/2021, 10:09 AM   #3
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
No picture ----
Thanks I edited and added

Unread 03/04/2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

My thoughts are palys & IMHO should not be in any tank.
If you want to remove them search Palytoxin poisoning BEFORE you do anything.

Unread 03/05/2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

The stuff can send you to the hospital. No kidding. There is really no safe way to remove palys from rock. If annoyed, it emits the bad stuff, and the water it's in becomes unsafe.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2021, 09:10 AM   #6
Timfish
Registered Member

+1 on them palies and I'l reiterate the above cautions about teh dangers of palytoxin. Safest way to deal with them is wear a resperator for organic vapors, gloves and safety goggles and carefully remove the rock to avoid any splashing or drips and especially anything that might aerosolize the toxin and dispose of it in plastic bags tightly sealed.

That being said I'll explain what I do and you can decide what your risk aversion is. I've read the CDC reports and papers on palytoxin and every instance somehow the toxin was aerosolized and inhaled. Keep in mind it can also be absorbed into the blood stream through cuts and scraps. Most importantly palytoxin is thermally stable, heat doesn't neutralize it and heat can form vapors that can be inhaled which is a very, very bad thing to say the least. To remove palies I always keep them submerged as much as possible. If I'm not able to remove a rock I use stainless steel straws to scrape and siphon off the pallies without removing them from water and flush them. Depending on the porosity and irregularity of the rock getting all of them may be difficult and will likely require multiple treatments. For very difficult areas in highly porous rock I'll first siphon off as much as possible tehn use H2O2 to try to kill of any tissue left behind. Here's a video using steel straws:

https://youtu.be/QkABhAFhGKQ

Unread 03/05/2021, 01:04 PM   #7
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
+1 on them palies and I'l reiterate the above cautions about teh dangers of palytoxin. Safest way to deal with them is wear a resperator for organic vapors, gloves and safety goggles and carefully remove the rock to avoid any splashing or drips and especially anything that might aerosolize the toxin and dispose of it in plastic bags tightly sealed.

That being said I'll explain what I do and you can decide what your risk aversion is. I've read the CDC reports and papers on palytoxin and every instance somehow the toxin was aerosolized and inhaled. Keep in mind it can also be absorbed into the blood stream through cuts and scraps. Most importantly palytoxin is thermally stable, heat doesn't neutralize it and heat can form vapors that can be inhaled which is a very, very bad thing to say the least. To remove palies I always keep them submerged as much as possible. If I'm not able to remove a rock I use stainless steel straws to scrape and siphon off the pallies without removing them from water and flush them. Depending on the porosity and irregularity of the rock getting all of them may be difficult and will likely require multiple treatments. For very difficult areas in highly porous rock I'll first siphon off as much as possible tehn use H2O2 to try to kill of any tissue left behind. Here's a video using steel straws:

https://youtu.be/QkABhAFhGKQ
love that video. Ill give that a shot before trying to tear down my entire tank to get to the bottom rock

Unread 03/05/2021, 04:49 PM   #8
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

A diluted blend of reg bleach and cool water will neutralize the toxins overnight so you do have a safety option first before messing with the rocks or water if you wish without attempting a possible disaster.
This has been published by professional cleaners of poison control and ive read this several times in the past.
Its the only thing that will work to neutralize palytoxin safely.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2021, 07:31 AM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

I made the mistake of removing them without gloves.

A trip to the Urgent Care, another to my PCP, Steroids, Pain meds, a week off work.

Never again in a tank of mine.

PLEASE use long gloves, eye protection, and keep others away from the area as you dispose of them.

I'd just get new rock rather than try to reuse them. Way cheaper, easier, and most importantly safer in the long run.

jm.02

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2021, 04:19 PM   #10
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post

A trip to the Urgent Care, another to my PCP, Steroids, Pain meds, a week off work.

PLEASE use long gloves, eye protection, and keep others away from the area as you dispose of them.

I'd just get new rock rather than try to reuse them. Way cheaper, easier, and most importantly safer in the long run.

jm.02
Ouch!
Man............ i hope you are ok now with no lingering issues, that pic is scary.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2021, 11:17 PM   #11
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:

jm.02

some details are missing here, what exactly happened? did you have a cut near the area? do you have allergic reactions to other things (anemone). You never talked about symptoms like racing heart, hard breathing, headache, anxiety ...ect

you talk about gloves but from the picture gloves wouldn't have done anything for protection.

Unread 03/07/2021, 09:22 AM   #12
billdogg
Registered Member

Details......

I was tearing down a long established 60 cube (22 years worth of growth) that was overrun my Texas Trash (green) palythoas. Because the main rock was siliconed to the bottom (pumice floats) I was brushing my arm against them for for quite some time. About 15 minutes in, I could feel a tingle on my arm. Hmmmmm. I told my wife that if I stopped breathing or had other issues to call 911 and tell them that it was palytoxin poisoning. Start CPR (she's a cardiac nurse) and have them take me to the hospital I work at (34 years Radiologic Technologist, 20+ years in cardiac electrophysiology).

She gave me one of THOSE looks............

I continued with the work at hand, completed the transfer to my new 120DT (everything EXCEPT the palys), washed up and went to dinner. My heart rate was definitely up and slightly irregular, but I've already got a bundle branch block so things are always just a tad other than normal.

By this time, were were sitting at Longhorn and my arm felt like it had a strong sunburn. That continued for the evening but nothing had gotten worse. We went to bed. By 2AM my arm was on fire. When I finally couldn't stand it any more I got up. Probably 6AM, Easter Sunday. My arm was covered in raised welts. Off to the local UC I went. Of course, being Easter, they didn't open until 8;30 or 9. When they finally unlocked the door I went in and the triage nurse asked what I was there for so I took off my coat and showed her my arm. Explained that it was due to exposure to palytoxin. I went right to the front of the list, they took me back and the doctor came in in record time. After explaining to him, he called Poison Control on speaker. They asked if the patient was still alive. I assured them that I was, indeed, still on the right side of the dirt! They suggested steroids and pain meds so thats what we did.

I followed up with my PCP the next day. He called poison control as well. They suggested that at this point a secondary infection was a possibility and recommend a tissue sample be sent off for culture. So he came at me with a scalpel (no lidocaine - didn't want to affect the tissue) and I watched as he carved out a couple chunks.

Because I assist with surgical implants, scrubbing was out of the question, so I took the rest of the week off to heal up.

I now have another interesting scar to tell people about, but nothing else came of it.

All in all, I got away very lucky.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2021, 07:02 PM   #13
Radicaljbr
Registered Member

Quote:
i made the mistake of removing them without gloves.

a trip to the urgent care, another to my pcp, steroids, pain meds, a week off work.

Please use long gloves, eye protection, and keep others away from the area as you dispose of them.

Jm.02
wow!!!