Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2019, 09:45 PM   #1
djryan2000
Registered Member

Is there any way to prevent a spill if a sump filter breaks?

Both of my siblings have had aquariums for a while and both have had 50+ gallons of water spilled in their houses because of a filter failure. Seeing this, is putting my HOB canister filter in its own tank so that if it fails I won’t destroy my parents’ house.
However, I’m considering moving to sump filtration for a 30-45 gallon tank. Is there any way I can have a similar fallback mechanism for is the sump fails? Maybe some sort of kill switch so water doesn’t go everywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2019, 04:32 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes there are certainly ways to help prevent a flood..

The easiest is to not run a filter or a sump.. Both are optional and not required to have a successful tank.. One can simply rely on the bacteria alone along with routine water changes to maintain a healthy tank.. On a 30-45 gallon tank that is rather easy.. Something like 5g water change every couple weeks is all you need..

Or yes put the filter into its own tank so it will just fill up that if its seals fail.

Proper sump design also just about guarantees you don't have a flood either.. A proper drilled overflow and a bit of planning take care of that.

Unread 08/20/2019, 12:36 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

Things fail, I use leak detectors with my Apex and if a leak is detected all pumps are stopped. My most common problem is an overflowing skimmer (skimmer is external). I use a 2 liter bottle inside a 5 gallon pail and a leak detector on the bottom of the pail. That detector only stops the skimmer pump.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2019, 01:14 PM   #4
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Things fail, I use leak detectors with my Apex and if a leak is detected all pumps are stopped. My most common problem is an overflowing skimmer (skimmer is external). I use a 2 liter bottle inside a 5 gallon pail and a leak detector on the bottom of the pail. That detector only stops the skimmer pump.

Awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Is there anything I should know before trying to put a leak detector on a sump and protein skimmer?

Unread 08/20/2019, 01:14 PM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:

What leak detector do you recommend?

Unread 08/20/2019, 02:01 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

My leak detectors ar part of my Apex Controller system. You can get water/moisture detectors that sound an alarm.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2019, 06:41 PM   #7
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Waterproof your stand

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

Are you talking about canister filter seal failure? We had one. Marineland. We junked it and replaced it with a simple bucket and pump. My advice would be PUT the thing in a big bucket or container and let it run that way, with the container adequate to hold it and some water. I'm taking it this is a fish-only running on a canister filter, and that there is enough waste to justify the filter. The alternative, if you are not overwhelmed with waste, is to set up an actual sump wih an autotopoff reservoir and a high-low water warning (Hydor makes the one I use, for not too much money). But with a canister, you are only as safe as the seal is, and keeping it contained is the best thing next to a dedicated sump.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2019, 04:26 AM   #9
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
You can get water/moisture detectors that sound an alarm.
Like this?

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote