Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/01/2014, 01:49 PM   #1
ashok sakthivel
Registered Member

Shelf life of Rowaphos

I was wondering if Rowaphos has a shelf life. Using an old batch, been with me for about 2 years partly used. Looked a little more red than the fresh stuff and in not bring down the phosphates in my tank.

Thanks,

Ashok

ashok sakthivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

As long as it didn't dry out, it is fine. If it dried out (maybe the color change), it might have less capacity.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 02:45 PM   #3
ashok sakthivel
Registered Member

Thanks Randy, just a doubt. All the other GFO in the market are dry. Does that mean that they have less capacity than rowaphos?

ashok sakthivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/01/2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I don't know. I didn't see a big different between Salifert Phosphate Killer and Rowaphos when I tested them, but that was many years ago and i never finished the very tedious tests necessary.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2014, 01:41 PM   #5
elviraveloz
Registered Member

I use Rowaphos. I regenerated twice and the color change to a copper color and I keep it wet in same container it comes.

elviraveloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2020, 11:58 PM   #6
Posseidon
Registered Member

Avoid very old opened batches

I know this is an old post, but just wanted to add my experience for anyone who would search on this topic.

I had an old batch that I had used just once or twice around 2 to 3 years ago. I recently found it lying around and wanted to use it instead of just throwing it away. There was still moisture in it but it did not have the usual dark appearance and was completely red (due to rusting of the GFO). And the granules easily broke into red powdered form when pressed. So, when I fluidize it in reactor, it continuously grinds against each other to release red dust mixture. I ran several gallons of fresh RO Water through it but it never cleared up. Thankfully I didn't run it through my tank system.

So, don't use very old opened and leftover batches. I think the granules completely rust over time making them less effective anyway. And then imagine all that red dust in your display tank. Just wanted to share my experience. Not sure about old but unopened boxes though. Hopefully someone can share their experiences here.

Posseidon is offline   Reply With Quote