Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

Bulkhead issues?

I bought some bulkheads from BRS and thought I would cut them down to get them down into the slim overflow (very little room to work with), so after trimming enough to get down into the little space, I have found out the hard way from some research on here that after you go down a little ways on the inside of those bulkheads, there is kind of a step, so spigot end of a street 90 wont slip into it. Theres just less than 1 1/2" at the top of it including the tank trim to get in it.

Does anyone know what actual brand/website sells the bulkheads that I can successfully cut down with a hacksaw that are the same ID all the way through so I can make this work? I wonder what glass holes' bulkheads are like? I had 0 trouble hacksawing very carefully and not messing the threads up so the nut will thread on, so I got them cut and got them in and started to work with the other fittings and went well...crap...

Xxxtremewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 05:27 PM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

What size bulkheads? If they are 1.5” I would just by some short bulkheads. Instead of being 2.5” long they are only 1.5” long. They don’t make them in the smaller sizes, I believe they make them from 1.25” & up.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

yeah they are 1", I did some searching and even asked that guy at glass holes and they dont make them in the short ones for 1"

Unread 04/25/2018, 01:47 PM   #4
laverda
Registered Member

I have seen short 1" ones at spa supply stores.
Plumbing stores the sell drills specifically for drilling PVC ABS tubing out of fittings. I have 1" one although I have never used it. It is made by Pasco and called a Ram Bit. I believe I have seen them at HD and Lowes as well.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 03:05 PM   #5
laverda
Registered Member

You could also use a dremal to open them up. If you have som that is the right size still you could shorten your street elbows. 3/8" of engagement should be plent fir inside the overflow.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 03:28 PM   #6
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Bulkhead issues?

Don’t know if this info will help or not. A few years back I got a low profile 1” bulkhead from glass holes dot com with matching street elbow that screws on to the outside thread of the bulkhead. You may be able to find this in spa supply stores. The bulkhead may be short enough to fit through your slim overflow.

The bulkhead and elbow is in far top corner in the picture

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Xxxtremewv
Registered Member

Good deal ill get on and check into the bjts and see if i have any luck. Thanks for the info guys!