Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2014, 11:18 AM   #726
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
Thanks, every once in a while a sps will rtn & I have no idea why. Makes me very cautious to buy colonies that I want.

I have always wanted a pei. Finally got my first one as a Christmas present.

If you ever decide to get one, let me know. I have months of research Lots of problems with health if you don't find the right breeder.

You are right. If that magical day comes then you'll be the first to call.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2014, 12:33 PM   #727
AJT
Registered Member

Noticed a few frags in the sand bend RTN'n.

Checked parameters

Ca 425
PO4 0.09
ALK 7.6 It has been falling for a week now & I have increased doser from 30ml per hr to 40 & it still fell from 7.9 to 7.6.

I have been increasing the ca from 390-425 in the past weeks. Double checked with new Hanna reagent & it read the same 7.6.

Checked with Red sea & it was 10.9????????

Maybe Hanna checker went bad??

The color of the solution looks low. I check every 2-3 days & you can tell by the solution if it is real high or real low just by looking at the color & it is definitely a light color with both solutions??????

Why would the ALK drop so much, even when I have increased the dosage by around 240ml/day??????

Something is going on, doing a water change tomorrow & will try to get someone elses Hanna checker to compare.

In my short 2.5 yrs with SPS, ALk seems to be the culprit of RTN most of the time.

Any ideas??

Current Tank Info: 380 Gallon, Lit by 12 G3 Pros
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2014, 01:11 PM   #728
msderganc
Registered Member

I tend to trust my Salifert and Hanna more that Red Sea for alkalinity. However, I've noticed that the Hanna does get weird near the end of the bottle of reagent.

Current Tank Info: 75g SPS ReefSavvy in the Works (prior: 260g SPS heavy system, 70g prop system, 29g Biocube)
msderganc is offline   Reply With Quote