Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2018, 03:07 AM   #1
Flipperfin
Registered Member

Think my fish have/had velvet.

A week ago i received a whole bunch of coral frags, which i didnt quarantine. Then suddenly 2 days later, i find my royal gramma dead, without having shown any signs.. The same morning i can see both my two clowns and coral beauty have developed white spots, which i at first think might be ich. Then only two days later the coral beauty is dead in the morning (was eating fine the night before). And now, two days later my male clown is looking like a goner (photo included), i found him this morning swimming against the stream of a powerhead. The female is still not showing any signs, and eating well.

All water parameters are fine, ammonia 0. Corals are thriving. Wouldnt you say this seems like velvet?

I have a small spare tank (4 gallons) that i was thinking of trying to set up as a hospital tank. However, i have no access to copper, so it would have to be hyposalinity treatment exclusively. Im not able to catch the male clownfish, and i have a feeling he is going to get stressed to death if i continue trying..

Should i perhaps hospitalize the female who seems well (but still with the same spots), or is the tank too small? I planned to use some spare LR that is in the dt already.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46459181_2854519197907760_6599339871620300800_n.jpg (47.2 KB, 17 views)
Flipperfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 06:51 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Velvet can not be treated by Hyposalinity.
This diease is a quick killer, it is likley your fish will die. Sorry.
You can try a fresh water dip. you need a copper medication to treat, and a highly aireated QT tank, yes the 4g can be used for the clown.

By fresh water dip I mean, RODI of exactly the same temp, no more than 5 minutes...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 10:04 AM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

Hard to tell from the pic (could also be brook), but do you have access to Chloroquine Phosphate? That treats both velvet + brook. Chloroquine is primarily an antimalarial drug, and I know some in the UK/Europe are able to obtain that.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Flipperfin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Hard to tell from the pic (could also be brook), but do you have access to Chloroquine Phosphate? That treats both velvet + brook. Chloroquine is primarily an antimalarial drug, and I know some in the UK/Europe are able to obtain that.
I think it might actually be brook instead, the male clown had these long strings of mucus/skin falling off, which i think points toward that instead?

Hmm well I'm a doctor so I could probably make myself a prescription of it? Is there any information regarding recommended dosage anywhere? Thank you for the advice by the way.

Unread 11/18/2018, 10:15 AM   #5
Flipperfin
Registered Member

Also, I managed to capture them both (apparently the ill male would still go for frozen artemia), so I FW dipped them both and put them in a newly setup hospital tank.

Unread 11/18/2018, 10:28 AM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipperfin View Post
I think it might actually be brook instead, the male clown had these long strings of mucus/skin falling off, which i think points toward that instead?

Hmm well I'm a doctor so I could probably make myself a prescription of it? Is there any information regarding recommended dosage anywhere? Thank you for the advice by the way.
That sounds like brook. Dosage is 15mg/L for 30 days. It should eliminate brook quickly, but I would leave them in the medication for 30 days to also address the possibility of ich & velvet (both have encysted stages).

Quote:
Also, I managed to capture them both (apparently the ill male would still go for frozen artemia), so I FW dipped them both and put them in a newly setup hospital tank.

Good move. A 5 min FW dip provides temporary relief for both brook & velvet.

Unread 11/18/2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Flipperfin
Registered Member

Grr how annoying that I can't edit posts. Anyway, thank you so much Humblefish! Im gonna pick up some Chloroquin from the pharmacy tomorrow and see if it works. I found a dosage guide, so I should be able to figure it out

Unread 11/18/2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Flipperfin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
That sounds like brook. Dosage is 15mg/L for 30 days. It should eliminate brook quickly, but I would leave them in the medication for 30 days to also address the possibility of ich & velvet (both have encysted stages).

Good move. A 5 min FW dip provides temporary relief for both brook & velvet.
Ok thanks! And then slowly remove it through water changes until 6 weeks have passed and they can return to the DT? (Fallow for 6 weeks should be enough I believe)

Unread 11/18/2018, 10:33 AM   #9
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Ok thanks! And then slowly remove it through water changes until 6 weeks have passed and they can return to the DT? (Fallow for 6 weeks should be enough I believe)
Yes - 6 weeks fallow for both brook & velvet