Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2018, 01:16 PM   #1
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Power Blue and ICH

Hello all I have a quick question about quarantine a blue Powder Tang. I just recently added more live sand to my tank. (I rinsed it before I put in the tank) Now I noticed that my tang has been scratching against the walls and rocks. Looking at him he is showing signs of ICH. He’s about 6” and very healthy. I have limited space for a quarantine tank. I do have a Coralife 30 gal bio cub I could put him. Would this be ok for his size? I have a couple of small 10 gallons tanks as well, but I figure hats to small. What’s the small tank I can get for him?

Thanks Mike

Mikeb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Louis Z
Registered Member

Sorry for not responding sooner . What size did you put him in ? For a large tang I recommend 40 gallon , If a really large one , I would use a 55 and just suck it up on price of medication . These are still small but trying to treat a large volume of water with meds can get expensive. I consider 75 and above a lot of water and meds . Now if it is a small tang, a 20 or 30 gallon long would be ok for the temporary treatment time.

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Powder blues are very problematic and definitely Ick magnets.
They also fall quite frequently to HLLE.

If all you have is a 30g, go for this, not ideal, but hopefully no more than 30 days.

Many use the hypo approach on tangs as it is less stressful on the fish in comparison to copper, I have tried both approaches and both worked.

About 4-7 days, spits diminished, at 14 spots gone, at 30, back to normal

Keep in mind the DT must remain without fish for 72 days if Ick is diagnosed.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2018, 10:17 AM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

a 40g breeder is ideal, larger is better. I would use CP instead of copper but thats just me

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Uncle99 well turns out My power blue I didnt have ICH but my Sailfin Tang is showing signs of HLLE.( I believe that's what it is) No other fish is infected at the moment.

So far I tested the water for stray voltage I have None. | all my parameters are good besides my Cal maybe a little high 440 | I turned off carbon reactor | Both tangs get a 1/4 sheet of nori a day with garlic drops. Food I give a variety pellets and frozen. I've been feeding the same since I first got them, no issues until recently.

any Ideas?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HLLE1_800x800.jpg (57.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg HELLE2_800x800.jpg (70.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg test_800x800.jpg (95.6 KB, 12 views)
Mikeb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 11:07 AM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

That could be the onset of HLLE. Do you run carbon? That's another possible cause.

Instead of using garlic, I would start soaking the fish food food in a vitamin supplement such as Selcon or Zoecon.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2018, 06:17 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
That could be the onset of HLLE. Do you run carbon? That's another possible cause.

Instead of using garlic, I would start soaking the fish food food in a vitamin supplement such as Selcon or Zoecon.
This^^^^^^^^^*^*

Last edited by Uncle99; 12/04/2018 at 06:25 PM.
Unread 12/04/2018, 06:25 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

How long you had him?

Unread 12/05/2018, 02:28 AM   #9
Louis Z
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Have you treated with prazipro/ metronidazole lately or at all? I say that not to contradict uncle/ humblefish, because that is sound advice and would do that . I just recently had a newly acquired juvenile emperor angelfish that started to show holes in the head. In addition he stopped eating and started to show some emaciation. He had started out fine and was eating and looking well but by the 2 week I started to see the symptoms. In addition I also had a Xmas wrasse in that same QT that also stopped eating . He also started to show some emaciation. I also saw some clear organism sticking out of the emperors head where the holes were forming. I used General Cure and it killed whatever it was . He is back to eating again and looks like he will survive

Unread 12/05/2018, 02:42 AM   #10
Louis Z
Registered Member

Here is something to read . http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm053. Good that you eliminated stray voltage out of the equation . Carbon too has been implicated . Good nutrition has brought back many a fish from this. But it could also be this organism that you need also consider

Unread 12/05/2018, 02:56 AM   #11
Louis Z
Registered Member

Sometimes I just want to slap my self upside the head . I also had Qt Banggai cardinals in there . I didn’t make the connection till just now . I had gotten all these fish from the same store on the same system. The Banggais started to show stringy white poop also when I noticed the imperator not eating . The infection may have come from the Banggai s which did not make it . Do you have any Banggai s ? By chance

Unread 12/05/2018, 07:05 PM   #12
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

People get wound up when I mention this but ginger powder. It does help with parasites in fish and even humans. It’s been used for stomache parasites for years. I’ve always had success with it. It will do no harm to any Corals or snails. I’ve been in the reef game for 30 years.

tang named junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 07:22 PM   #13
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang named junkyard View Post
People get wound up when I mention this but ginger powder. It does help with parasites in fish and even humans. It’s been used for stomache parasites for years. I’ve always had success with it. It will do no harm to any Corals or snails. I’ve been in the reef game for 30 years.
I'm always up for a little experimentation. Do you soak it in food or dose it directly into the water? What dosage?

Unread 12/07/2018, 12:23 PM   #14
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

When I feed them I put a pinch of ginger powder in my fingers and put it into the water flow. The food doesn't have to be soaked in it. Sometimes the fish will eat the larger chunks clumped together, sometimes they won't. It will not harm any corals or other things in your tank. I told a buddy that had a large 300 gallon who picked up a blue tang that came down with ich. He got back to me and said it all worked well. Some will say it has nothing to do with the ginger, maybe not but it doesn't hurt and I've always had good luck with it. Ginger has a lot of anti parasite properties, not just in fish. Google it.

tang named junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 04:12 PM   #15
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang named junkyard View Post
When I feed them I put a pinch of ginger powder in my fingers and put it into the water flow. The food doesn't have to be soaked in it. Sometimes the fish will eat the larger chunks clumped together, sometimes they won't. It will not harm any corals or other things in your tank. I told a buddy that had a large 300 gallon who picked up a blue tang that came down with ich. He got back to me and said it all worked well. Some will say it has nothing to do with the ginger, maybe not but it doesn't hurt and I've always had good luck with it. Ginger has a lot of anti parasite properties, not just in fish. Google it.
Cool! Will try it out!