Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 02:30 PM   #51
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeferNoob4ever View Post
I do not mean to high jack this thread but I do have a question. I just recently got a smallish maxima clam (maybe 3") and am new to keeping them. What am I looking for here that shows your clams are dying? Is it the filter part or the mantle? Mine seems to be healthy so far it opens and closes with light and I always notice a little filter piece poking out. The mouth tends to be open when the clam is open during the day.
Sounds healthy. Wave your hand over it or cover the light, does it react? If it does it's healthy. If it does not, it does not mean it's sick.

Look under the mantle when it closes. Does the shell have a strip of white along it? That's good, it means the shell is growing.

It's a maxima so is it in a rock? Did it attach itself to the rock? That's good too it means it's healthy.

You need all of these things mostly.

Show us a pic.

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 03:36 PM   #52
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Ok I will take a pic. No I just put it in the substrate to get to acclimate first. It kinda moves around on its own. I will take a pic when I get home tonight.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 03:41 PM   #53
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok I will take a pic. No I just put it in the substrate to get to acclimate first. It kinda moves around on its own. I will take a pic when I get home tonight.
You'll want to put it on a flat rock or they make clam discs, it will burrow into your glass bottom if not.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:03 PM   #54
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
I do not mean to high jack this thread but I do have a question. I just recently got a smallish maxima clam (maybe 3") and am new to keeping them. What am I looking for here that shows your clams are dying? Is it the filter part or the mantle? Mine seems to be healthy so far it opens and closes with light and I always notice a little filter piece poking out. The mouth tends to be open when the clam is open during the day.
What do you mean by the filter piece poking out? Do you mean the siphon? The actual filtering apparatus is inside the clam, around the gills. The mouth (or siphon inlet) should be open but not too much (it should not be gaping).

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:30 PM   #55
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

Yes the siphon inlet. The mouth is open as well. Ok I will put a rock under it, although I wouldn't mind if it found a spot in the sand and made a footing their if that's what it likes. My question really was that to tell if a clam is not doing well is it the idea that the shell is remaining closed or that the siphon is remaining closed and/or both?

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:45 PM   #56
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes the siphon inlet. The mouth is open as well. Ok I will put a rock under it, although I wouldn't mind if it found a spot in the sand and made a footing their if that's what it likes. My question really was that to tell if a clam is not doing well is it the idea that the shell is remaining closed or that the siphon is remaining closed and/or both?
They can break the bottom of your tank if it's thin enough that is why I mentoined it.
A clam that is not doing well will gape and or have it's mantle receding.

Like this

Or this

Unread 12/05/2017, 11:48 PM   #57
malx
Registered Member

Good information here! Let’s keep it coming. My update is that I moved my derasa to the other side of the tank. It was in a lot of flow and it has no shell growth. I’m wondering if it was getting stressed. Will know more as the days pass but so far I don’t see signs of death with this one. She may be ok. His mantle looks good. My concern is his growth and also he’s not flushing water through him.

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:38 AM   #58
malx
Registered Member

Lights went off and he’s not closing. Not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:36 PM   #59
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Mantle losing colour, slit gapping, expelling junk, closed always.....yours is fine....moderate to intense light, phyto feeding, great water, once the bysal gland is stuck down if in rocks, do not move. Enjoy! Clams are not that hard once they used to their new home.
They do like consistency.....like everything else we keep.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:43 PM   #60
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

The purplish clam above with the gapping inlet.....that of course is very bad.
It is struggling for some reason.
1 of my clams is 3 years old now, I see no growth but he is open, colourful and seems quite healthy.....clams grow very very slowly....

Unread 12/06/2017, 12:46 PM   #61
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Last one I had do this went "poof" and just died and fell apart in hours...
Never did find out why one does the others never a problem.
The slit should be open a bit and you can see the rakers but that looks too much to me.

Unread 12/06/2017, 03:46 PM   #62
Cancun
Registered Member

Smile

Hi all! Yea have not had luck with large maximas from the LFS....but I did get a decent size 5 inch ORA Deresa my favorite LFS ordered for me...if you can find a 5 inch or so ORA clam...it is worth it.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 03:47 PM   #63
Cancun
Registered Member

I tried to add a pic...but it wouldn't let me...LOL

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 08:58 PM   #64
malx
Registered Member

I think if my Derasa is still struggling this weekend I'm going to freshwater dip him. Will keep you guys posted. Anyone else have clam issues? Let's keep it going!

Unread 12/07/2017, 01:15 AM   #65
malx
Registered Member

Alright everyone. So when I got home from dinner today and saw my Derasa I could see that he is now showing clear signs 100% he has pinched mantle disease. So, I started with the first of three freshwater dips. Boy is he mad, but it only took him about 20 minutes to partially open up after. He’s gaping a little but I’d assume that’s his way to flush out the fresh water.

Will keep everyone posted of progress.

Unread 12/08/2017, 11:22 PM   #66
malx
Registered Member

Alright so he’s still kind of in the same state. The freshwater dip seemed to help for a few days now he looks a bit stressed again. I’m running an ICP Test and moved him In a low light area of the tank.

This part of the mantle concerns me... bottom right.

What do you guys think?

Unread 12/08/2017, 11:26 PM   #67
Cheapreef
Registered Member

How high of a flow was he in when you took that pic. My Teardrop does that at the bottom sometimes but my tank is super high flow so I think it's just the water movement.

Unread 12/09/2017, 01:17 AM   #68
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
How high of a flow was he in when you took that pic. My Teardrop does that at the bottom sometimes but my tank is super high flow so I think it's just the water movement.

My tank is super high flow as well. I have all SPS. I moved him to a more calm area with more consistent flow and lesser light. Maybe the less stress will help him.