Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2008, 09:06 AM   #1
nanafish
Premium Member

bumps on tail?

My H. Erecti seahorse has some mildly enlarged bumps on the underside of the tail. Its more towards the tip on the 'tread' side. I have monitoring them for the past week. Does not seem to enlarging at all. Does not seem to hinder hitching at all. Swims at time with the tail outstretched. Other horses in the tank usually swim upright and have their tails slightly curled at the bottom. This horse still eats fine and interacts with the other ponies in the tank. Any Ideas? Something bacterial? Fungal?

nanafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2008, 06:06 PM   #2
ann83
Registered Member

Most likely bacterial. Which can be dealt with.

Is the tail buoyant (does it float)?

I'd put the seahorse in a hospital tank and bring the temperature down to 68 degrees (will stop the growth of the infection). Do this now, regardless of if you have meds to be able to do anything else. The lowered temp may allow the seahorse's immune system to overcome the infection.

Then, get yourself some Furan-2 or some neomycin and triple sulfa (all can be ordered from www.seahorsesource.com if you can't get them locally).
Furan-2 Dosage Instructions
Neomycin and Triple Sulfa Dosage Instructions
Follow one or the other, not both. Use either Furan-2 or Neomycin and Triple Sulfa, not both.

I would also bring the temperature in the display tank to under 74 degrees to reduce the chance of others coming down with bacterial infection (keeps the bacterial proteins in less virulent form).

Last edited by ann83; 12/24/2008 at 06:21 PM.
ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote