Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2012, 09:19 PM   #476
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
Thanks for the posts guys.

Everything is doing GREAT! Had a freind QT a bunch of new fish for 6 weeks & now everything is back in tank. Not a spot on blue tang in 6 weeks.
I will get some shots this weekend.

Last water test
Am,no2, & no3 = 0
PO4 = 0 Hanna
ALK 8.24 hanna
ca 450

UV is running 24 / 7 right now. I do not think pods are getting to the UV as i am sure the thick sponge keeps them from circulating. Hopefully the 8,000 that I added into the tank has them reproducing in the tank as well as the sump.

I have been adding Phyto to the water & turning off skimmer & UV for 24 hrs when added.

Still love the LED sols. Corals growing fast.
I am glad to see that everything is great again! You went through a hard battle!!! I am anxious to see the updated pics.

I have been running both my UV's 24x7 and it hasn't effected my pod population whatsoever. Every time I change my filter socks I have pods crawling up and down my arms. Both of my mandarin fish seem to be doing well and they seem to feed exclusively off my pods.

Unread 10/13/2012, 06:24 PM   #477
AJT
Registered Member

I have a pump feeding it & it dumps back into the other side of the sump at the same level as it comes out of the skimmer. I will take a pic tomorrow.

Current Tank Info: 380 Gallon, Lit by 12 G3 Pros
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 10:37 AM   #478
fixmgood
Registered Member

Any chance of seeing the pics on how your skimmer is set up.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 06:19 PM   #479
Osteoclast
Registered Member

Have followed your build and enjoyed it. Went with AI sol blues on mine and no problems thus far. Keep up the good work.

Current Tank Info: 525 Mixed Reef SPS dominate
Osteoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2012, 06:31 PM   #480
AJT
Registered Member

I just turned it off to add some phyto.

What exactly are you looking for on set up?
This is exit gate valve. It runs to the back of the sump up to the other end & dumps near filter sock.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-16-10.jpg (38.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 10-16-12 1.jpg (39.2 KB, 121 views)

Unread 10/16/2012, 06:36 PM   #481
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osteoclast View Post
Have followed your build and enjoyed it. Went with AI sol blues on mine and no problems thus far. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for following.

I have no complaints on the Sols althought I wonder what a little red would look like on the corals. Heat has not been an issue & I have only had a problem with one unit & AI sent me a new board.

Unread 10/16/2012, 06:44 PM   #482
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfeig View Post
I am glad to see that everything is great again! You went through a hard battle!!! I am anxious to see the updated pics.

I have been running both my UV's 24x7 and it hasn't effected my pod population whatsoever. Every time I change my filter socks I have pods crawling up and down my arms. Both of my mandarin fish seem to be doing well and they seem to feed exclusively off my pods.

Dan,

I saw your tank the other day & all I can say is Wow. I used to have a 200 built in the wall & for some reason wall mounted tanks give that Wow factor.

I agree about the UV, my pods rarely make it thru the sponge. I am sure we are loosing something good with it but I would rather loose good stuff & bad stuff than neither.

How many socks you have on yours & how often are you changing?

Unread 10/16/2012, 06:46 PM   #483
Osteoclast
Registered Member

Had a problem with one of mine also and got a new board under warranty as well. Good customer service thus far. Using 10 Units with good penetration thus far.

Current Tank Info: 525 Mixed Reef SPS dominate
Osteoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2012, 07:52 AM   #484
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Glad everything is back on the upswing. You know a FTS is in the future to see progress.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 12:18 AM   #485
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Dan,

I saw your tank the other day & all I can say is Wow. I used to have a 200 built in the wall & for some reason wall mounted tanks give that Wow factor.

I agree about the UV, my pods rarely make it thru the sponge. I am sure we are loosing something good with it but I would rather loose good stuff & bad stuff than neither.

How many socks you have on yours & how often are you changing?
Thank you! I am having fun with it!

I have 2 18" socks that I use. i am changing them every 3-4 days I suppose. 5 if I get lazy. Each time I change them my arms get covered with pods.

I am very happy that things are back looking up for you!

Unread 10/18/2012, 08:18 AM   #486
AJT
Registered Member

One more question for you & others with big tanks & alot of socks. How are you cleaning them out? I have 50+ socks & end up just using the hose to clean them.

I hear of others using the washing machine, but I am hesitant since I have a front loader & there is soap/fabric softner residue in the "chute" it falls thru. I know that some of that would get into the wash even after cleaned out.

It does suck to spend 3 hours washing out socks every quarter. I have been trying to wash out as soon as I change them but sometimes that is not an option.

Unread 10/18/2012, 08:22 AM   #487
Newbie Aquarist

I use the washer machine also. I use it on a quick wash and use white vinegar to wash the sock. Now if you want them white then I use a cap of bleach using the same wash cycle. I have enough socks to last me about two weeks on my present tank. Sometimes I use a normal cycle too. My new washer/dryer has a sanitizer setting and I still only use the white vinegar or bleach to wash the socks.

Unread 10/18/2012, 08:26 AM   #488
AJT
Registered Member

Is it front load? Mine sends water to the soap dispenser then falls thru a chute. Under close inspection there is quite a bit of soap residue down that chute that leads to the washer tub.

Unread 10/18/2012, 08:28 AM   #489
SPotter
Registered Member

I run two 7x16" socks for 4 drain lines on my system. They usually need to be cleaned every 3-4 days. I thought about throwing them in the washer but there is no way my wife will let me do it. So I rinse them out after taking them down, then I let them soak in a bucket with vinegar/rodi solution for a couple of days and then I take them outside to rinse with the garden hose.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 08:35 AM   #490
AJT
Registered Member

What does the vinegar do for a filter sock? I guess it would disenfect. I know vinegar is good for calcium buiild up....

I have 4 filter socks changed every 4 days or so... Adds up to alot of sock cleaning

Unread 10/18/2012, 08:39 AM   #491
techreef
Registered Member

I've never used socks before. What do you guys filter out with them? Which leads me to why do you need to wash them instead of just invert them and rinse out whatever they've caught/filtered out of your water stream? Do they clog up if you don't wash them?

techreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 08:39 AM   #492
SPotter
Registered Member

it just helps break things down and rinse off easier when you blast it with the hose. I dont spend more the 15-20 mins cleaning filter socks every week.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 10/18/2012, 08:45 AM   #493
AJT
Registered Member

I do invert them & wash them out. It just takes a long time if I dont do it every week & end up doing 50 at one time.

Unread 10/18/2012, 09:06 AM   #494
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techreef View Post
I've never used socks before. What do you guys filter out with them? Which leads me to why do you need to wash them instead of just invert them and rinse out whatever they've caught/filtered out of your water stream? Do they clog up if you don't wash them?
they filter out anything and everything that makes it down the drain lines. Over time they do clog so its important to clean so water is able to flow thru them rather than up and over the top of the filter socks.

Quote:
I do invert them & wash them out. It just takes a long time if I dont do it every week & end up doing 50 at one time.
I can see that taking a long time and it must be very boring!

Unread 10/18/2012, 09:14 AM   #495
Newbie Aquarist

Quote:
Is it front load? Mine sends water to the soap dispenser then falls thru a chute. Under close inspection there is quite a bit of soap residue down that chute that leads to the washer tub.
Yes my washer is a front load. But on a side note, I usually wash my socks after I do the whites of my laundry.

Quote:
What does the vinegar do for a filter sock? I guess it would disinfect. I know vinegar is good for calcium build up....

I have 4 filter socks changed every 4 days or so... Adds up to a lot of sock cleaning
It disinfects and also I don't have to re rinse the socks like you do when you wash them in bleach.

Unread 10/18/2012, 09:39 AM   #496
danfeig
RC Sponsor

I throw 2-3 filter socks in the washing machine. I use a little oxy-clean in the first load. I use an extra rinse cycle on the wash. I then remove the socks and turn them inside out. I rewash them with an extra rinse cycle without any chemicals. I then hang them outside in the sun for a few days.

Unread 10/18/2012, 01:01 PM   #497
techreef
Registered Member

shoot, that's some clean socks Dan! LOL

techreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 01:34 PM   #498
psusocr
Registered Member

I wash my filter socks in the washing machine with nothign but water. I have a front load as well, i wash them on the "wool" setting which take 1 1/2 hours...by that time there CANT be any soap left in that chute, before i put them on my tank i give them a good rinse and off i go.. Ive never had any problems before..I must have done this a thousand times already..

hmm...now im wondering!

Current Tank Info: Custom 300 in-wall mixed reef, SRO Diablo DCRS EXT 250 Skimmer ,LED's with 6' VHO Actinics, Custom fuge, (2)Tunze 6105's (2)Tunze 6095's on Tunze 7095 controller, MRC CR-4 Dual, ATO & Aquacontroller III
psusocr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2012, 02:05 PM   #499
AJT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusocr View Post
I wash my filter socks in the washing machine with nothign but water. I have a front load as well, i wash them on the "wool" setting which take 1 1/2 hours...by that time there CANT be any soap left in that chute, before i put them on my tank i give them a good rinse and off i go.. Ive never had any problems before..I must have done this a thousand times already..

hmm...now im wondering!
What kind of anenome is that in your avitar? Ritteri? Is it yours? How long have you had it?

Looking for a hardy type anenome. I have but loads of Rose BTA's but loooking for something different.

Front load washer- Not sure if yours is built the same as mine but pull out your soap tray & look at the chute that leads to drum. When you wash a stream of water comes in & flushes the soap out of the tray & flows down the chute. It only flows into the tray & down the chute for about a minute.

So it would not matter how long you washed something for, the water only flows into the tray for about one minute.

I have used the washer once, cleaned out the tray & chute & just rinse cycled 2 times. Just not sure how safe it is...

Unread 10/18/2012, 04:55 PM   #500
TSJSREEF
Registered Member

I put all my socks through a front loading washing machine with a cap of bleach. I run them on the sanitize setting which is extremely hot water. I also add one extra rinse cycle.