Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2020, 02:49 AM   #1
Zionas
Registered Member

Opinions On Captive Bred Scribbled Angelfish.

Hey guys, a while back I was very interested in the Genicanthus genus of angelfish but recently I found that my LFS gets these Captive-Bred Scribbled Angelfish, presumably specimens from Bali Aquarich or another Indonesian breeder. I am seriously considering one but I would love to know more about this species. Captive-bred and an impressive looking fish are a double winner for me.

1. How would you rate the general hardiness and disease resistance of this species?

2. They’re sold at 2-3” at my LFS, would that be too small for the specimen to survive?

3. Do they have any specialized feeding requirements or are they general omnivores?

4. What is their temperament like? Are they aggressive? How active are they?

5. Are they reef safe at all? I plan to keep it well fed if I get one but I still want to know. I am going softies only for the first 6-12 months, but if all goes well I will be moving onto some simple LPS as well.

6. My tank is a custom built 183-gallon, 1.8m by 0.7m by 0.55m. Will the dimensions be enough to hold the angel for the entirety of its 15+ (presumably) year lifespan, with the following tankmates? (I have revised my stocking approach by cutting down on the number of big fish and replacing them with smaller fish):

4 Pajama Cardinalfish (3.5”) 20.5 body lengths, 8 body widths=28.5x2 = 57 body lengths round tank

2 common Ocellaris Clownfish (pair) (3”) 24 body lengths, 9.3 body widths=33.3 x2= 66.6 body lengths round tank

1 Yellow Watchman Goby (4”)- no shrimp because of Hawkfish 18 body lengths, 7 body widths=25 x2= 50 body lengths round tank

1 Royal Gramma (3”) 24 body lengths, 9.3 body widths=33.3x2=66.6 body lengths round tank

1 Flame Hawkfish (4”) 18 body lengths, 7 body widths=25 x2=50 body lengths round tank

1 One Spot Fox Face (8”) 9 body lengths, 3.5 body widths=12.5 x2=25 body lengths round tank

1 Flame Angel (4”) 18 body lengths, 7 body lengths=25 x2=5” body lengths round tank

1 Yellow Candy Hogfish (4”) 18 body lengths, 7 body lengths=25 x2= 50 body lengths round tank

1 Yellow Tang (8”) 9 body lengths, 3.5 body widths=12.5 x2= 25 body lengths round tank

1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang (7”) 10.2 body lengths, 4 body widths=14.2 x2=28.4 body lengths round tank

1 Black and White Bannerfish (8.5”)- Originally had the Marine Betta in this spot but WWM thinks the Heniochus is a better idea. I love the Betta, but WWM thinks its need for a hiding place won’t be too compatible with my more free swimming fish. 8.47 body lengths, 3.3 body widths=11.77 x2= 23.54 body lengths round tank

Finally, if I add the Scribbled Angelfish (10”)- 7.2 body lengths, 2.8 body widths=10 x2= 20 body lengths round tank

Would it be too cramped in my tank? Would it have any aggression issues with my other fish? (Captive Bred is the main reason why I’m getting this over the Genicanthus angels). Also would love for you guys to point out any compatibility issues if there would be any. Thanks.

Last edited by Zionas; 05/29/2020 at 03:00 AM.
Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2020, 10:29 AM   #2
Fiish
Registered Member

The scribbled angelfish is an omnivorous fish, however it's not easy to keep in captivity, in fact the genus Chaetodontoplus in general is. IMO, the resistance to diseases is a little less than that of other angels, but the fact that it comes as CB, gives it an advantage. The Chaetodontoplus genus demands pristine quality in the water, this fish should have no problems with its 180G, I only see a certain disagreement with the yellow surgeon, but in a large tank like yours, it may not be a displeasure to a couple of days. I have seen C. duboulayi on reefs but I have no idea what kind of preference they have towards corals, hopefully none, but each fish is a different individual than the other, even if they are the same species, one can eat coral, and the another might hate them. Either way, I recommend that you buy an absolutely healthy specimen and from a very good trusted source (according to what you are saying, it seems that will be the case), 3" is a great size to start adapting, good luck.

Unread 05/30/2020, 02:30 AM   #3
Zionas
Registered Member

Hey, that’s great to know.

By the way, for the Bannerfish, is its maximum size 8.5” or 10”? LiveAquaria says 8.5” but other sites say 10”. I’d also love to hear about experiences on the Bannerfish in terms of hardiness and disease resistance.

Thanks for the well wishes. Happy reefing.

Unread 05/30/2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionas View Post
Hey, that’s great to know.

By the way, for the Bannerfish, is its maximum size 8.5” or 10”? LiveAquaria says 8.5” but other sites say 10”. I’d also love to hear about experiences on the Bannerfish in terms of hardiness and disease resistance.

Thanks for the well wishes. Happy reefing.

You mean Heniochus acuminatus?

Unread 05/30/2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Zionas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
You mean Heniochus acuminatus?

Yes.

Unread 05/30/2020, 07:05 PM   #6
Fiish
Registered Member

Doing a quick search in fishbase, I find that the maximum size of H.acuminatus is 25 cm, so we are talking about 10 inches. Either way, always be prepared for the maximum size of the fish, if you find different opinions regarding the size, choose the largest option, it's better to be left over than to lack space for the fish.

Unread 05/31/2020, 07:52 AM   #7
Zionas
Registered Member

Yeah, I totally agree. Do you think having both the angel and the H. acuminatus, as well as a Foxface, Yellow Tang and Kole Tang would be too much for a tank of my size? I wonder if the length of the H. acuminatus is 10” for its actual body or including the long streamer? Is it easy to keep?

Other than that, thanks!

Unread 05/31/2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Fiish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionas View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. Do you think having both the angel and the H. acuminatus, as well as a Foxface, Yellow Tang and Kole Tang would be too much for a tank of my size? I wonder if the length of the H. acuminatus is 10” for its actual body or including the long streamer? Is it easy to keep?

Other than that, thanks!
It seems to me that this stock of fish you mention is fine, it should not have problems, I would add the yellow surgeon after the scribbled angel and the butterflyfish, just as a precaution. As I mentioned before, I consider that no butterfly fish is easy to maintain, more than anything for their food, first worry about offering them very good water quality, and you can read maintenance experiences with this fish in this forum, group what worked for other aquarists, and then you already have a maintenance plan for H.acuminatus.