Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Jenyphur's BioCube 32 LED Blog

I have decided to chronicle my journey for better or worse. Let's hope mostly for the better.

After a recent trip to Maldives, I was inspired to get back into the hobby but this time. Had tanks many years ago but never a reef tank. I decided to go with the Coralife Biocube to minimize equipment and lighting upgrades. Funny, I have only had the thing set up for 3 days and am already planning on changing out the media basket and probably adding an ATO, skimmer possibly and other 'stuff'.

I would like to have a few fish (the normal stuff) and learn how to keep/grow corals. I am a complete newbie on this part and have NO idea what to even start with but this is why I am here.

3/11/2017
Set up the stand and tank and got everything ready. Here is the list of the items I had ordered and decided on (after researching and reading over way too many posts).
  • 30 lbs dry pukani rock from BRS
  • 30 lbs live sand from BRS I went with the finest sand because it's pretty and probably already regretting this decision as it's very easily blown around. But time will tell when I get my corals in.
  • inTank media basket with floss, Purigen and Chemi-pure. I will wait to put this in after the tank cycles. So for now, just the stock media and filter
  • 100 w heater with display
  • 30 gallons of RO/DI water from the LFS

Aquascaped the tank to try and get some height but also to provide different levels as well as some caves/tunnels for the little guys eventually. Need to buy some epoxy to 'glue' the rocks together to add stability

I will post pics of the tank after I post this.

Day 1: 3/12/2017
Tank pretty cloudy still and realized that the stock power head was pointing down so it was kicking up the sand. Redirected it to the top and found that the water was getting clearer quicker.

Temp: 78
pH: 7.4 (not sure why so low)
Ammonia: 2.0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 10
Salinity: 36 (too high)

Day 2: 3/13/2017

Tank pretty cloudy still and realized that the stock power head was pointing down so it was kicking up the sand. Redirected it to the top and found that the water was getting clearer quicker.
Added Bio-Spira today to get things started.

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 2.0
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 10
Salinity: 35

Keeping lights off and just waiting, watching and reading/researching.

Comments, advice and whatever else you want to throw my way are welcome. I am sure I will make mistakes but hopefully will minimize as much as possible. I know this will take me months/years to achieve the look I am going for.

Jen

Jenyphur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 03:10 PM   #2
Jenyphur
Registered Member

20170312172258.jpg20170314120522s.jpg20170312172247.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Unread 03/15/2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Day 4: 3/15/2017
Looks like I am getting a spike in Nitrites and Nitrates and ammonia is down.

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 40
Salinity: 1.026 (35)

Excited to see something happening in there, even though technically I don't see anything happening in there.

Unread 03/15/2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Screenshot_20170315-084823.jpg

Unread 03/15/2017, 12:37 PM   #5
rajilnaja
Registered Member

Following along!. We have had our 32 cube up and running since about Sept/Oct.

rajilnaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Sambo107
Registered Member

Glad to see your tank cycling

Sambo107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 01:12 PM   #7
Joshnieder216
Registered Member

Yup glad to see this and look forward to your progress. If you have $30 to spend look into the Red Sea reef mature kit. It's kinda the same thing as biospira but a little more technical. I can't say for certain if it works or not but it gets you a little more involved with the tank during your cycle.

"Yea, well, that's like, your opinion man" -The Dude

Joshnieder216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 03:03 PM   #8
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Happy to see a few followers. I am going to go look at the Red Sea reef mature kit right now. Also..what is the best test kit to test additional things like calcium, etc. ?

Unread 03/15/2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

i just ordered the red sea sea reef foundations pro that does ca, alk, & mg
ive been using the red sea marine care test kit from the begining that does nh3/4, no3, no2, ph, & alk

i go to the LFS and have them test every few weeks and they are all in sync

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Smoke Inator
Registered Member

i also use the hanna ulr for phosphates

Smoke Inator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 09:03 AM   #11
Joshnieder216
Registered Member

I'll second Red Sea test kits other than nitrate, it's super hard to read the color end point. I'll prob pick up the nitrate pro kit the next time I go to the lfs but for now I'm using API. Like smoke I'm using the foundation kit and it's great.

"Yea, well, that's like, your opinion man" -The Dude

Joshnieder216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 09:52 AM   #12
TexChuck
Registered Member

Following along, I'm about a month further along with my BC 32! Good luck, and looking good so far!

I've been happy with the RedSea test kits -- marine pro (?), the reef kit for Ca/Mg/Alk, and their standalone phosphate kit. They take a little longer than the API kits I used before but seem more precise.

I really like your rockwork. I also like your sand -- I don't think you'll regret the finer sand decision. I really like the two-tone, layered look with the light.

TexChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 09:59 AM   #13
hartin461
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphur View Post
Attachment 369564Attachment 369565Attachment 369566

Top rock is cool...Following

hartin461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Day 5: 3/16/2017

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: didn't test today

So no ammonia but still lots of nitrite. Now it's just time to be patient.

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement and of course the advise. It's like having a new puppy...so excited each day.

Bought the RedSea reef foundations pro so that will be interesting to see what my numbers are.

Unread 03/16/2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Day 5: 3/16/2017

So no ammonia but still lots of nitrite. Now it's just time to be patient.

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement and of course the advise. It's like having a new puppy...so excited each day.

Bought the RedSea reef foundations pro so that will be interesting to see what my numbers are.

Unread 03/16/2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Oeste
Registered Member

Nice start! I like the rockscape, interested to see it come along.
Do you know what type of corals you'd like to end up with?

Mushrooms/most zoas= beginner
Lps= beg/moderate
sps= mod/pro

If possible, I highly encourage a 2nd mini setup of a cheapo 10gl quarantine tank.
Read up on coral dipping (also bayers dip, be careful using this method tho).
Both of these are preventatives for the display tank.

Oeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 02:47 PM   #17
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeste View Post
Nice start! I like the rockscape, interested to see it come along.
Do you know what type of corals you'd like to end up with?

Mushrooms/most zoas= beginner
Lps= beg/moderate
sps= mod/pro

If possible, I highly encourage a 2nd mini setup of a cheapo 10gl quarantine tank.
I definitely want to check into the 10g QT tank, I'm sure it's something I can do and did a bit of research on dipping a few days ago. I figure as I get closer to adding corals I am going to need a lot of guidance.

I am definitely interested in doing LPS and mushrooms/zoas but still trying to figure out what lps actually is...I have been watching lots of videos. I tend to like the corals that show movement. One of my favorites so far is a frogspan. I also like the Neon Toadstool Leather Coral. But I am so new I actually like them ALL.

So much to learn!!!

Unread 03/16/2017, 03:03 PM   #18
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Oh and hopefully one day I can have a purple clam...as this will definitely remind me of my trip to Maldives.

Unread 03/16/2017, 04:41 PM   #19
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeste View Post
So I am doing a bit more research on the QT thing and have a few questions...

Would a 5 gl be too small? I love the looks one I found on Amazon but it's 5 gallon and more vertical than horizontal.

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML...ct_top?ie=UTF8

If I have to get a boring old 10 gl one I will but I don't want to hahahahah.

Unread 03/16/2017, 11:34 PM   #20
skiingfast
Registered Member

For my QTs I use something like that but not. A regular 20G with a marineland hood and HOB filter. The hood is mainly so nothing jumps out.

Light are almost always off to have a calming effect.

Then a few pieces of PVC elbows are all the décor to give the fish hiding places to keep safe.

Since the BC is small you will have small fish. So a 5G won't be bad but I would suggest going up to a 10G just for more water stability. And long is better than tall when fish want to swim around.

skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 06:23 AM   #21
Oeste
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyphur View Post
So I am doing a bit more research on the QT thing and have a few questions...

Would a 5 gl be too small? I love the looks one I found on Amazon but it's 5 gallon and more vertical than horizontal.

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML...ct_top?ie=UTF8

If I have to get a boring old 10 gl one I will but I don't want to hahahahah.
Ik what you mean on boring 10gl Lol. tbh, my definition of a QT tank is "anything that can hold water." I don't care for the looks. I setup my 10gl qt tank on my dryer, I believe everything cost me 35.00. Tank from the 1.00per gallon special@Petco and a used AquaClear 70, used jebao r8 wave maker and some liverock. The main purpose is to watch for any hitchhikers, worms, pest corals, bugs etc... Id rather have to qt 10gls of water with minimal corals/fish, than my main that has had all my effort in it.

If you have it, invest in a light that matches the display tank so the transition from qt to display is minimal (Since light plays a huge role in corals). My BC29 has a Nanobox Large retro kit and 10gl qt has a nanobox mini (200.00 light) but its not needed, just ideal.

Oeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 07:58 AM   #22
Jenyphur
Registered Member

These are great replies and I have decided that 5 gallon is too small and it would be better to have a longer, shallow tank. I'll be on the look out for one that looks 'pretty' at the same time.

Unread 03/17/2017, 08:16 AM   #23
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

Following along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOOMANYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 07:54 AM   #24
Jenyphur
Registered Member

Day 6: 3/17/2017

Numbers are the same so I decided to dose the ammonia to 2 using pure ammonia from ACE Hardware. Besides the funny side story of me thinking it would be a good idea to sniff the bottle when I opened it because I wasn't sure if ammonia actually smelled or not and nearly passing out...nothing too exciting to report on.

Day 7: 3/18/2017

So the good news is the ammonia was clear within the 24 hours but still have high Nitrites. Of course I was second guessing myself and was making a trip to the LFS anyways so I brought in some water for them to test and they verified the test results and said everything looks good..nitrites at 5.0 and just be patient and any day it could be down to 0. Getting closer....yeah!

I then had my little list of questions regarding ATO, acclimation kits, etc. He was super nice and spent quite a bit of town showing me the clowns I should eventually get (they are sooooo cute!!!) as well other going over some corals that would be good starter corals. I fell in love with the frogspan...and I am pretty sure it will be one of my first purchases. There was also another customer in there that was so nice and also helped to answer any questions. I thought he worked there but he said he didn't, just likes to hang out there lol. Awesome! Love the team spirit.

I also watched a guy bring in his fish and get cash because he was moving out of state...I thought that was very cool. Bought the fish back at 1/2 price and even the live rock. What a great idea, I'm sure other FS do this but it's just a great idea. He also had some great advice. People have been so friendly.

So all in all, I walked away with 10 gallons of RODI water, cleaning supplies, acclimation drip hose kit thingy and a lot more confidence.

I did order the ATO online, I went with the AutoAqua SmartATO micro because I found it at a REALLY good price ($101). The LFS had it for $169. So sadly I couldn't justify buying it at the LFS but I figure thats $70 worth more coral and fish I can buy in a few weeks.

Unread 03/19/2017, 11:54 AM   #25
TOOMANYFISH
Registered Member

It sucks to make the decision of lfs or online. Can't beat the online price but sometimes you can't beat the knowledge those lfs's have. Then you think about the cost of everything and it kinda helps make the decision for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOOMANYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote