Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2017, 09:50 AM   #3101
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Yeah, mine has been on hunger strikes a few times during the 7+ years I have had it. I have always been able to get it eating again, usually using Rod's food. Normally it eats pellets but sometimes it decides it doesn't want pellets and stops eating. Always a little worrisome until it starts eating again.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2017, 09:18 PM   #3102
Skim
Registered Member

I guess my guy is going 4 years and is about 5 1/2 to 6 inches from Nose to tail and about the same top to bottom. Never had a problem with him to eat, nothing but Flake and Pellets. NSL Flake, Omega Flake, Omega super Kelp Flake, Omega Pellets, NorthFin Marine and Krill pellets and the odd sheet of Algae. I should have gotten 2 at the time but he pals around with the Naso all the time. The 2 are pigs they would eat all day long if I kept feeding them.

Skim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2017, 11:27 PM   #3103
Naraku
Registered Member

What country did the Moorish idol come from ?
Maybe they have better collection methods.

Over here in the US, we mostly get them from Fiji, and Maldives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim View Post
I guess my guy is going 4 years and is about 5 1/2 to 6 inches from Nose to tail and about the same top to bottom. Never had a problem with him to eat, nothing but Flake and Pellets. NSL Flake, Omega Flake, Omega super Kelp Flake, Omega Pellets, NorthFin Marine and Krill pellets and the odd sheet of Algae. I should have gotten 2 at the time but he pals around with the Naso all the time. The 2 are pigs they would eat all day long if I kept feeding them.

Naraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 11:41 AM   #3104
blueclam99
Registered Member

Moorish Idol with zoa colony

Does anybody has experience with a Moorish Idol attacking or eating zoa polyps? Mine currently is eating flakes and pellets. So far there is no sign of any interest in the zoa colony. She is picking frequently the liverocks, though.

blueclam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2017, 07:10 PM   #3105
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueclam99 View Post
Does anybody has experience with a Moorish Idol attacking or eating zoa polyps? Mine currently is eating flakes and pellets. So far there is no sign of any interest in the zoa colony. She is picking frequently the liverocks, though.
I heard that it can happen,but it seems to only be that way for some.If they are fat and well fed it may help,deter them from nibbling(and , maybe not...)

Unread 02/09/2017, 08:06 AM   #3106
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueclam99 View Post
Mine ignored my zoas for maybe three months. Then one day it decided it liked them and within a few weeks all zoas were gone.

Unread 02/09/2017, 08:37 PM   #3107
Keimaxbode
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skim View Post

I haven't heard of anyone able to keep multiples in a home aquarium past the juvenile stage. My MI is two years old and eats everything. I got him from Live Aquaria (Divers Den).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 100G FOWLR with 55G sump/fuge - just purchased a 265 - not set up yet.
Keimaxbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2017, 08:38 PM   #3108
thi7b
Registered Member

My son moorish idol developed cloudy eye on one side. Is there any treatment that is worth trying? He is eating just fine.

thi7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 05:21 PM   #3109
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

My Moorish Idol died this week He was 8 years old.

Unread 04/24/2017, 10:10 AM   #3110
Naraku
Registered Member

Sorry to hear. I have not heard of anyone with an 8 year idol.

Do you think it died of old age or bullying by the 2 emperor and not being able to compete for food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnatus View Post

Unread 04/24/2017, 01:47 PM   #3111
Sounds Fishy
Registered Member

What a bummer,you must have be getting real attached,and,I suppose there is a limit to their life expectancy. I haven't heard of an MI living in captivity,prior to yours.

Unread 04/25/2017, 06:26 AM   #3112
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
Sorry to hear. I have not heard of anyone with an 8 year idol.

Do you think it died of old age or bullying by the 2 emperor and not being able to compete for food?
He had been declining for a few months. I think the emps were out-competing him for food, and the Rock Beauty was nipping at him every chance he got. He seemed to have lost a bit of coordination or vision over the past 6 months or so and had a hard time getting pellets - he missed more than he got. So all in all, maybe old age. Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Fishy View Post
What a bummer,you must have be getting real attached,and,I suppose there is a limit to their life expectancy. I haven't heard of an MI living in captivity,prior to yours.
He was a really great fish. Great personality and he loved being watched.

Unread 04/25/2017, 08:41 PM   #3113
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow sorry to hear that, 8 years that have to be one of the great MI

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 04:43 AM   #3114
johnike
Moved On

Nice run, Ken.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 06:33 AM   #3115
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Thanks.

I always feel bad when a fish dies. I try to know if there was something I could have done better or differently. The Idol was my favorite fish I have ever had in 43 years of keeping marine fish. I also think I had it longer than any other fish I have ever had.

Unread 04/26/2017, 07:13 AM   #3116
Naraku
Registered Member

Will you ever consider another or a group?

Quote:
Thanks.

I always feel bad when a fish dies. I try to know if there was something I could have done better or differently. The Idol was my favorite fish I have ever had in 43 years of keeping marine fish. I also think I had it longer than any other fish I have ever had.

Unread 04/26/2017, 07:28 AM   #3117
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

I would like to have another. From what I can tell, groups do not work in a home-sized aquarium.

Unread 04/26/2017, 10:11 AM   #3118
Breakthecycle2
Registered Member

Quote:
I would like to have another. From what I can tell, groups do not work in a home-sized aquarium.
I had three at one point. THey were fine together until velvet took them all. I also had a pair another time, One turned on the other out of the blue.

Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 01:11 PM   #3119
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 View Post
I had three at one point. THey were fine together until velvet took them all. I also had a pair another time, One turned on the other out of the blue.
Your second example seems to be the norm. I began with 3, but they took each other out til one was left.

Unread 06/23/2017, 12:05 PM   #3120
SunZz
Registered Member

I have a Fijian MI that's been in QT for a month now, eating everything very well. Curious as to the people who have had them in reefs before...what corals seem to be more appealing than others or is it just going to be a gamble when he goes into the DT?

SunZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 01:59 PM   #3121
m0nkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunZz View Post
I have a Fijian MI that's been in QT for a month now, eating everything very well. Curious as to the people who have had them in reefs before...what corals seem to be more appealing than others or is it just going to be a gamble when he goes into the DT?
zoa, any meaty lps... it's pretty random. for me SPS was fine. they left leather alone too

Unread 06/27/2017, 02:31 PM   #3122
sidman74
Registered Member

I recently came across a healthy specimen at my LFS and decided to buy. It is rather on the large size and dwarfs the other fish in my tank. System (90 gallons) has been up for 3 years. My wife and I are planning an upgrade to a 220 now that we have a fish large enough to require it.

It is eating frozen krill, marine algae mix, misis, sheets of nuri, and anything else it can pick off the rocks. Seems interested in a green galaxia coral I have but has left a kenya tree, green zoas, green star polyps, and my hammers alone.

Lots of good information in this thread so wanted to say thanks.

sidman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2017, 02:24 PM   #3123
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Anyone have experience adding a MI as a last addition to an established 300g tank that has an adult emperor angel and some tangs including a hippo, yellow, purple and powder blue? Curious how they handle themselves when initially added.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2017, 09:28 AM   #3124
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

They are timid and essentially defenseless. After they get established they become a little more bold, but really this is a fish that cannot be allowed to be bullied. Best to make sure he is protected - maybe an acclimatization box. If they get bullied, they won't last long and probably will probably not recover even if the bulliers are removed.

Unread 08/07/2017, 09:52 AM   #3125
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback pinnatus. I'm really contemplating attempting one, they look gorgeous. "If" I do, maybe I put an eggcrate in the tank and divide it up for a few days to let him adjust. any feedback on how to qt them? I usually do TTM with two 10g tanks and then move to 30g for observation before they go into the main tank. any advice or suggestions?

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wrong link on first video