Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2017, 05:01 PM   #10076
gsgargett
Registered Member

Graham

Hi all, been reading the forum for a few years but only currently 2 month in to my first ever marine tank. Had tropical tanks ever since I was a kid.

Anyway, I've got one of the lovely TMC 900's with lots of goodies. Still learning so no doubt I'll be around for a long while. Well just got through my diatom bloom so onwards and upwards. Look forward to chatting guys.

gsgargett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 06:48 AM   #10077
jaybretzke
Registered Member

Hey Everyone!!!

Not really new to the hobby. I have had saltwater aquarium since i was a kid living in Guam and Bahamas. But real experience since college so roughly 5-10 years... I had a sweet 90 gal mixed reef and a BIOCUBE 29 HQI along the way. I worked at Marine Scene for a few years as well in DC.

I am an Ocean Engineer / US Navy Diver by trade and recent had baby girl. So I wanted to get back into it. Both of my other kiddos loved my tanks...

Now I am getting back into hobby and setting up a 60gal cube. My favorite tank other than a 120.

Planning on doing SPS and a few fish....

Wish me luck..

jaybretzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 07:52 AM   #10078
Hemlawk
Registered Member

New to Reefing. Literally 3 days ago I discovered it and Ive been researching like crazy.
I'm willing to go big (100g) but my wife is very skeptical. So We compromised and decided to go small first and see from there.
I'm thinking about getting 20-40g kit like a Nuvo or Fluval-M.

Thanks!
Eddie

Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 08:20 PM   #10079
Lp201det
Registered Member

Hi y'all,
I'm not only new to reefcentral but I'm a new owner of a 90 gallon aquarium which I want to set up as a reef. I live a hour from the store that I purchased items from and wanted a more direct input source for info on making the most awesome reef I can. I'm set with filter system heater etc but my main question (for now) is what light system to purchase. I'm not sure of what all items will be in tank yet so I would like a system that is powerful enough for all. I know this probably isn't the right forum to ask (introduce yourself) but until I find it I thought I would give it a shot. Thanks and I can't wait to research and learn from reefcentral members!

Lp201det is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 12:39 PM   #10080
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

Talking New

Hey Guys I'm new to the Reef Central and just want to say hello and learn how to comment

FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 12:54 PM   #10081
dblimousine
Moved On

New to reef central. Just getting back into aquariums after a 20 year hiatus. Lots of changes. Great to see a thriving aquarium enthusiast environment.

So where should I post regarding issues with cornering overflow issues on an Aquarium Masters tank? Having problems keeping overflow from draining too much water into sump.

dblimousine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 02:19 PM   #10082
frank19851
Registered Member

New guy

Hello everyone,

I am new to reef central. I have a 55g which is my practice aquarium and plan to upgrade to a 160g sometime next year. Already got a lot of advice from you guys.

frank19851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2017, 03:19 PM   #10083
drowncj
Registered Member

hey everyone, im new to reef central and to the salt water game. ive been doing fresh water tanks for a while and decided to give salt water a try.

I just got a 155 bowfront and have been looking for plans/ ideas for a custom canopy. any info would be great!

drowncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 12:50 PM   #10084
BettyDavis
Registered Member

Red face Betty Taylor New

New beginner. I have some questions about saltwater. Do you buy it or can you make it from tap water? Can someone help please.?

BettyDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 03:45 PM   #10085
Lindz75
Registered Member

new to marine fissh keeping

Hi just thought i'd introduce myself. I'm Lindz and recently started up a 300l fish only marine tank. At present I have 2 black & white clowfish, 2 firefish and 2 wrasse. My main aim for a community peaceful to semi aggressive tank. Any advice rearding stock would be appreciated.

Lindz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 05:36 PM   #10086
DesertTank
Registered Member

Newbie starting a 230g reef tank

Dan here from Sunny Scottsdale AZ! Picked up a large tank from a closing restaurant thinking I got a screaming deal! Did on the tank and stand/canopy, but after refinishing stand and polishing tank, changing plumbing from closed system to sump I should have just bought a Red Sea Reefer. Good thing wifey thinks I have only spent a few hundred bucks! hehe

Have a 40g fresh tank that has been up for about 7 years, ready to jump into reefing. Will start a build thread soon because I am on a budget and I think others would like to see that you can do this right and keep your costs down if you are willing to be patient.

Purchased 230g acrylic tank with stand and canopy. 40g breeder sump etc

DesertTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 06:13 PM   #10087
mndivergirl
Registered Member

Brand new

Hi all,
New to the saltwater aquarium hobby. I have started my 72g bowfront tank about 4 and a half weeks ago with the help of a local reef club.
I have been a scuba diver for over 15 years and wanted to bring what I see underwater, above the water!

mndivergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 06:59 PM   #10088
Lion Fish
Registered Member

Hello RC from Florida!

Hey all, my name is Mike. I'm new to the hobby and I'll be starting out with a JBJ RL-45 Rimless all in one tank.

Lion Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 11:39 AM   #10089
Flipperfin
Registered Member

Hey guys! Got my first FW tank 5 months ago, and now decided to dive into the beautiful world of reef tanks! Starting out with a 12gallon long

Flipperfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 01:12 PM   #10090
coleenanddan
Registered Member

coming out of hibernaton

hi its dan and coleen

We finally rebuilt the tank room and have started putting the pcs together a new reef tank. Going on three years without a tank. Will be looking for your advice.

thanx in advance

coleenanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 06:49 PM   #10091
gunnar09
Registered Member

Hi everyone I started a fish only tank about 3 yrs ago. I had t5 and metal halide lighting system . I want to change to an LED lighting system . I have a 110g deep tank. What led lighting system do you suggest? I don't have the cash for radion lights. Are there lower cost options?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gunnar09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 01:03 PM   #10092
Gwoody83
Registered Member

hello all,

I have had tanks for about 30 yrs, my current tank is 125 Gal that I have been using for Fresh Water. I just bought an Acrylic 300 Gal Tank that I would like to turn into a reef tank. it is not plumbed for a sump or anything, I know a lot about Fresh water but very little about salt and even less about Reef tanks, but that is about to change.

Any Advice, Ideas, Guidance, will be greatly appreciated.

Gwoody83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 06:27 PM   #10093
Hooked0nPhonics
Registered Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the hobby and have set up my first saltwater tank! I joined the forum because I've found that keeping a saltwater tank has a thousand different aspects to it, and I will need advice and answers to different questions along the way!

Hopefully, I can do this with all of your help!

Hooked0nPhonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 07:56 PM   #10094
brett98xj
Registered Member

Good evening fellow reefers! Been in the hobby a couple of years, however I am new to working on forums. I've always been a lurker, learning and reading. I figured it was time I started hanging out and learning even more.

brett98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 10:44 AM   #10095
Prometheus824
Registered Member

Hello

I've been scouring this site for years and have finally decided to jump into the conversation. I've been out of hobby for about 3 years, but have recently set my 75g up again. I'm attempting to run a low maintenance system. Barebottom tank, HOB skimmer, powerheads, HOB aquaclear, and no fish! only lots of amphipods, CUC, hermits, and corals.

Prometheus824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 02:28 PM   #10096
GoNoles
Registered Member

Hello all. New to Reef Central but back from a long hiatus from my last marine aquarium. Had a 29 Bow FOWLR tank 20 years ago. Starting new build on 40B with 20L 'fuge/sump. Have tank drilled for Bean Animal and am trying to drink up as much info as possible!!!

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 07:30 PM   #10097
CreoUCLA
Registered Member

New to Reef Central, but I've been in and out of the hobby for years (my first reef aquarium was a 60 gallon back in the early 1990s).

I currently have a 46 gallon mixed reef bowfront that's been running for a few years, but that is in the process of being taken down as we're starting a major home renovation. The contents of which are going into a 95 gallon hexagon that is being setup at my parent's home (Eshopps RS-75 sump, Eshopps Eclipse overflow, Octopus 110 Space Saver skimmer, Hydra FiftyTwo HD, Neptune Apex Jr., etc.).

After the 5-6 month renovation, I'm planning on picking up a RedSea Reefer 350/425 or Peninsula 500 depending on our new open living room/dining room configuration.

Unread 02/28/2017, 09:02 PM   #10098
Bugnator
Registered Member

Hello!

I'm starting a reef aquarium right now. I just have the tank, a 90 gallon, I picked up on Craigslist. I also have a 55 gallon FOWLR that I've had for about five years but really I just feed the fish and change some water every couple of weeks. I traded some rock that I had to a LFS and they gave me some corals and now I'm hooked. I want to do this right so I'm going slow. Lots of reading and learning.

Bugnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 11:48 PM   #10099
Piecesmb
Registered Member

Hi! My name is Edwin and I am new to the hobby of saltwater aquarium and I am planning to start this hobby. Can anyone suggest a good tank to start with. I am choosing between red sea reefer nano and the reef octopus lux T60, but I am leaning towards the T60 because of its dimensions, but I have a hard time finding that tank online.

Piecesmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 02:18 PM   #10100
Bution
Registered Member

Hi to all. I am new in the community. I can not wait to learn more about tanks an d everythig about it

Bution is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral