Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2009, 05:25 PM   #1
johncash
Registered Member

Xenia toxic to humans?

Are Xenia Corals toxic to human beings, like zoanthids are?
Kind of freaking out a little, would love an answer. Thanks.

Last edited by johncash; 12/12/2009 at 05:46 PM.
johncash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:07 PM   #2
JamesJR
Registered Member

I don't think much is known about their toxicity. I haven't done any formal research on the matter but I have seen secondary metabolites that have been extracted from these soft corals in the literature and many of these metabolites have shown interesting biological activity. I doubt much has been looked for humans.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon
JamesJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:12 PM   #3
johncash
Registered Member

I just want to know if I have to worry about the fact that I took them out of the bag with my hands and I have a cut on my hand. This was an hour ago and I feel fine, but I would like to know. That is, if the information is available.

Unread 12/12/2009, 06:16 PM   #4
sandrifter
Moved On

I don't know about being toxic, but they sure do leave a bad smell on your hands after touching them.

sandrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:19 PM   #5
johncash
Registered Member

YES on the smell, but that won't kill me !

Unread 12/12/2009, 06:39 PM   #6
DThompson
Registered Member

I have handled almost all type of Xenia with no problems for years. I think you are fine, just don't eat it.

DThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:44 PM   #7
LegendLand
Registered Member

no there not toxic to humans, & have very weak toxins to fight off other corals actually. & zoa's are not deadly to humans, only Palythoa Toxica & another type, Commonly Called The "Rubber Coral's" that is the only 2 species that carry Palytoxin. But dont go eating the corals or exposing open wounds to the corals either

LegendLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 06:47 PM   #8
B-Willz
Registered Member

I fragged some last week with a cut on my hand with no problems.

B-Willz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 07:06 PM   #9
johncash
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I was a little worried after reading some stuff about corals and their toxins to humans. I am more relaxed now. Nonetheless , safety first, and I will be more careful in the future. After all, there is no reason to expose wounds to the bacterial cultures that exist in our mini reefs.

Unread 12/12/2009, 07:07 PM   #10
johncash
Registered Member

I just wanted to add that I am new to RC and I am incredibly impressed ! Fast responses. When I become more knowledgeable I will certainly reciprocate.

Unread 12/12/2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Joe Pusdesris
Registered Member

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/fotm/index.php

Quote:
During the process of fragmenting Xenia one day, I felt an itch in the area on the left side of my mouth. Thinking my left hand was "clean"I made the mistake of scratching that itch. I quickly realized that there was mucous from the coral on my hand. Anyone who has removed Xenia from the water knows that it smells terrible, and I can tell you it's a fact that it tastes even worse than it smells. I managed to maintain my composure, resisted the urge to regurgitate and finished mounting the fragmented Xenia. After awhile my lip began to tingle and became numb. Within an hour and a half the entire left side of my mouth was numb and my tongue began to feel "thick" - for lack of a better word. While collecting information about Xenia for the doctors in anticipation of an upcoming trip to the emergency room, the numbness began to subside. After about another hour my mouth was back to normal - but I wasn't! I learned a valuable lesson about the corals we keep and the unknown dangers we’re likely to encounter. I now clean everything that comes into contact with corals with very hot water, and wash my hands with hot soapy water after fragmenting.
Apparently xenia can make you numb.

Joe Pusdesris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 10:10 PM   #12
DThompson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLand View Post
no there not toxic to humans, & have very weak toxins to fight off other corals actually. & zoa's are not deadly to humans, only Palythoa Toxica & another type, Commonly Called The "Rubber Coral's" that is the only 2 species that carry Palytoxin. But dont go eating the corals or exposing open wounds to the corals either
I would never say they are NOT toxic. As a general rule, all corals should be considered as possibly toxic to some level. Eaten or ingested, all can carry toxins, bacterial, or unknown parasites.

The bottom line is, we still know very little about the true toxicity of most corals.

I am certainly not going to ever say that a certain coral, ie; Xenia, is non toxic to humans.

In the case of the OP, we are assuming he means some brief exposure to a open cut.

DThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2009, 11:20 PM   #13
johncash
Registered Member

Yes I mean to establish whether or not, in practical terms, an aquarist can poison themselves by brief exposures to this particular coral that would commonly occur during aquascaping or fragging.

Or in a nutshell, whether or not I am at risk of a potentially harmful outcome, given the circumstance.

Unread 12/13/2009, 11:23 PM   #14
Remn
Registered Member

I just fragged my xenias the other day and they really stink and leave a really bad odor on your hands, but I haven't had issues or irritations.

Remn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 03:03 AM   #15
reefer31
Registered Member

I have noticed that if you lemon juice wash your hands it gets the stink out a bit.

reefer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 03:13 AM   #16
khaosinc
The cyborg reefer

I would expect that the biggest worry would not be the toxicity but the possibility of an allergic reaction. In m y line of work I almost never don't have a cut on my hands, and I am bad about wearing gloves, but I also know I don't tend to react to things. Past that, I know I am taking a crap shoot.

There are so many variets of life in the ocean that we don't know anything about. If you are the sort to worry about that sort of thing, or have had past reactions then you should go at your tank like you would a $20 hooker.

I have not yet figured out how to install a breathalizer on my computer.

Current Tank Info: It's all torn down... someday I might rebuild.
khaosinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 08:40 AM   #17
johncash
Registered Member

LOL, or a $10 one. A valid point, I am looking for gloves and tongs, no more messing around.

As a side note:
I am curious if anyone has gone to ER or to a doctor with one of these "dangers of our hobby" issues. My guess is they would have no clue how to diagnose the problem, fix it, or identify it unless you specifically tell them what happened. This fact is a little scary to me.

Unread 12/16/2009, 02:59 AM   #18
blasto_master
Registered Member

xenias = non toxic

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon SPS/ 55 Gallon Zoa
blasto_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2009, 10:48 PM   #19
ibnozn
Registered Member

Whenever I frag my Xenia I make sure to eat a bunch of peanuts for good measure. Keeps the hobby exciting.

I've been able to get a really good RTN session going with some newly fragged Xenia combined with poor circulation so the bacteria is certainly something to always be wary of.

ibnozn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2009, 10:23 PM   #20
Big Country_IL
Registered Member

+1 to the smell of xenia...seems like it might dry my hands some when I work with it, but I'd imagine actual results may vary.

Big Country_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 09:52 PM   #21
victorcan
Registered Member

Coincidence or not? 4 nights ago I had to clean 70-80 Xenia off some live rock that they had taken over, went swell easier than I expected and only problem at the time was the stench it left behind, that night I had some Burger King the next morning I woke to some serious cramping and diarrhea though eh Ill never eat BK again, after a full 24 hrs of pain and suffering yesterday I felt fine and everything went back to normal (gastro wise) so I proceeded to pick up where I left off cleaning another 80 or so Xenia off some more rock, and today it came back same cramps and diarrhea .. Now Im not sure but I thought once the food poisoning left your system you were through? Yet after a full day of being fine only thing in common the day before was the Xenia? So Im not sure if it was the BK or the Xenia now? anyone ever experience anything like this ?

Current Tank Info: 220Gal Mixed Reef
victorcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2017, 07:32 PM   #22
OrQidz
Registered Member

I never have had that experience, but it certainly sounds like it correlates with your exposure. Even if they aren't "toxic" they still release chemicals and you could react to that. I would for sure wear gloves when fragging them out of there.

OrQidz is offline   Reply With Quote