Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2011, 06:07 PM   #201
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

You can call it complaining if you want, but I agree that in spending $750 each for two fixtures it should be able to be hung straight out of the box. If they show something in their ad, it should be something that is available upon receipt, or at least something that can be readily ordered. Like I said, I plan on making my own, but would have been nice for multiple units, something that could be ordered AT LAUNCH!

Sent from Wesley's Moto Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

wesleyforbes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2011, 07:30 PM   #202
SkullV
They Got My Number

You didn't have to pre-order the units. You could have waited a few months until the brackets are available. You wanted to be one of the first and due to that you are going to have to work a little harder to hang your units.

I factored this into my decision to pre-order. Apparently you did not.

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2011, 07:55 PM   #203
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

I haven't pre-ordered the two fixtures I need for my tank and don't plan on it since it can't be held together with the bracket as shown in the picture. Even after spending, $750 for each fixture, I still need to spend another $45 plus more to build a similar bracket. As great as this fixture sounds, I'm not sure if spending $1500 to cover the tank is a good idea when I can spend that on another led fixture and have a hanging kit included.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2011, 08:04 PM   #204
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRockerLive View Post
I haven't pre-ordered the two fixtures I need for my tank and don't plan on it since it can't be held together with the bracket as shown in the picture. Even after spending, $750 for each fixture, I still need to spend another $45 plus more to build a similar bracket. As great as this fixture sounds, I'm not sure if spending $1500 to cover the tank is a good idea when I can spend that on another led fixture and have a hanging kit included.
Sure you can, but it likely will not have the coverage, power, features, and appearance of this fixture. If you like another fixture better, buy it.

Unread 09/25/2011, 08:10 PM   #205
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

I'M very happy with my decision, I have been waiting to jump into the LED game for a while now, so when I saw this I jumped at the chance. As I already stated, I will make a bracket to be able to hang the two fixtures, so I have prepared myself. But, it still doesn't change the fact that if if something is shown and advertised, it should be available for order when the product is launched.

I am willing to agree to disagree and leave this thread for asking questions about the Radion, as it is intended.

Unread 09/25/2011, 08:25 PM   #206
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyforbes2 View Post
I'M very happy with my decision, I have been waiting to jump into the LED game for a while now, so when I saw this I jumped at the chance. As I already stated, I will make a bracket to be able to hang the two fixtures, so I have prepared myself. But, it still doesn't change the fact that if if something is shown and advertised, it should be available for order when the product is launched.

I am willing to agree to disagree and leave this thread for asking questions about the Radion, as it is intended.

Where does anything that EcoTech put out state that these brackets will be available? These were custom made for d2mini. They were never stated to be offered out of the box. It has however ALWAYS been stated that the fixtures will come with a standard hanging kit and a premium hanging kit will be available at an extra charge. It has also ALWAYS been stated that certain features will not be available at launch.

Unread 09/25/2011, 08:40 PM   #207
BigKahuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
OMG...so don't buy it? Drill 2 holes in a piece of stainless steel sheet. There is your bracket. I don't understand why people are in this thread complaining.

If you can't afford a $750 top of the line LED fixture don't buy it. If you don't like the mounting options they will be offering, then don't buy it.

If you can afford it, and like the options, then do buy it.

Pretty simple logic.
I disagree 100%. When I buy a Ferrari I don't expect to go to the dealership to pick it up and have to supply my own wheels no matter how much money I have to throw at wheels. By your logic I should maybe make my own wheels? This is a very very nice looking fixture IMHO and a "homebrew" mounting solution is a bit of a letdown. I look forward to seeing what EcoTech comes up with as far as mounts go. The problem is whether someone is making minimum wage or on the other end of the spectrum and worth more than a small country they still have to come up with their own solution to mount this fixture.

Don't get me wrong I really like the light and plan on getting a couple but I'm sitting around thinking how I am going to mount them because I don't want to drill into my plaster ceiling. I wouldn't even care if they charged $100 for the mounts to be honest, buying a $750 fixture is a luxury, but I want to be able to get something that matches the high quality aesthetics. If someone thinks the mounts are too expensive at least they have a choice to do something else. Right now there is no choice. It just seems odd to me, and others I assume, that they design a very attractive fixture but don't have a tank mounted solution or an OEM multiple mount out the gate? I have no doubt they have something in the works as EcoTech is a great company but to have such an obvious hole in the accessory line-up strikes me as odd for a very important product they must have been working on a good long time.

BigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2011, 08:49 PM   #208
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Okay guy, I'm done with this discussion. Again, I have ordered my premium hanging kit and will be making my own bracket and will hopefully be loving my Radions hanging over my tank and synching with my two Vortechs. I hope when you get yours you will be happy as well and maybe we all could download and share settings if need be.

Unread 09/25/2011, 08:53 PM   #209
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I disagree 100%. When I buy a Ferrari I don't expect to go to the dealership to pick it up and have to supply my own wheels no matter how much money I have to throw at wheels. By your logic I should maybe make my own wheels? This is a very very nice looking fixture IMHO and a "homebrew" mounting solution is a bit of a letdown. I look forward to seeing what EcoTech comes up with as far as mounts go. The problem is whether someone is making minimum wage or on the other end of the spectrum and worth more than a small country they still have to come up with their own solution to mount this fixture.
What you said has nothing to do with what I said. You are paying for an expensive Ferrari that DOES advertise that wheels are included. They are going to be right there on the window sticker (rarely on the window if you have actually been in a Ferrari dealer). Again, there is absolutely nowhere that EcoTech has stated that these brackets are going to be included. In fact it happens all the time in advertising that products are shown with features that are not currently avaliable or may never be avaliable. This is especially the case with the appearance of vehicles in car advertisements since you used that analogy.

Furthermore, if the Ferrari did not come with wheels, and it was never stated that it did come with wheels, and the option was to wait until wheels were avaliable, make your own wheels, or just not buy the fixture, you would still have the same choice you have here.

I just think it is funny that all these people who may potentially never buy this fixture are in here whining about what features are or are not going to be included.

Unread 09/25/2011, 09:34 PM   #210
BigKahuna
Registered Member

Quote:
What you said has nothing to do with what I said.
I went back a re-read what you wrote and I see I was taking you out of context somewhat so sorry for that. I just get the gist that you are saying the lights are $750 so deal with it which doesn't seem like it's the best way to go about servicing a somewhat premium type product. I do want these lights so this isn't complaining for the sake of complaining. It just seems odd that with aesthetics being such an important part of the product, heck look at the beautiful set-up the photographer used to take the product photos on EcoTech's own website, that mounts would be considered an afterthought.

My simple question is if your design goal is to do a very aesthetically pleasing product wouldn't it be logical to design them keeping in mind how they are going to integrate into the very system for which they exist to serve?

BigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2011, 09:40 PM   #211
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I went back a re-read what you wrote and I see I was taking you out of context somewhat so sorry for that. I just get the gist that you are saying the lights are $750 so deal with it which doesn't seem like it's the best way to go about servicing a somewhat premium type product. I do want these lights so this isn't complaining for the sake of complaining. It just seems odd that with aesthetics being such an important part of the product, heck look at the beautiful set-up the photographer used to take the product photos on EcoTech's own website, that mounts would be considered an afterthought.

My simple question is if your design goal is to do a very aesthetically pleasing product wouldn't it be logical to design them keeping in mind how they are going to integrate into the very system for which they exist to serve?
I am saying the lights are $750 and some can afford that and some can't, so if your only complaint is that the lights are too expensive (not your complaint) then don't buy it.

As far as the brackets it just isnt that big a deal. If those brackets were never CUSTOM made for d2mini's tank no one would even be thinking about them right now. They would just hang each pendant individually, which in my opinion looks just as good. In fact I think the brackets that were used on the tank in the photographs are not appealing at all. I would rather have a flat piece of polished aluminum (will cost me $10 to do myself) or anodized black aluminum.

Unread 09/25/2011, 09:52 PM   #212
BrklynArch
Registered Member

Yeah if those custom brackets were never made to showcase the lights we would all be looking at pictures of lights in a box or lights sitting on a table because they couldn't be hung out of the box.
No one is bashing the product skullv so don't get so angry and defensive. This is a forum where info and feedback about a new product is being discussed...both the good and bad. It helps people make a decision about making a significant investment. I'm glad you can afford them and your excited about making your own hanging solution, but some people arnt.

BrklynArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2011, 10:02 PM   #213
MedRed
Registered Member

I'm glad that those custom brackets aren't the real deal. I'd prefer something adjustable as I'm going to need to spread my lights farther apart than the 7-8" that the custom bracket offers.

Unread 09/25/2011, 10:05 PM   #214
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynArch View Post
Yeah if those custom brackets were never made to showcase the lights we would all be looking at pictures of lights in a box or lights sitting on a table because they couldn't be hung out of the box.
No one is bashing the product skullv so don't get so angry and defensive. This is a forum where info and feedback about a new product is being discussed...both the good and bad. It helps people make a decision about making a significant investment. I'm glad you can afford them and your excited about making your own hanging solution, but some people arnt.
They were made because the owner wanted them for his lights. You can get a fabricating company to do the same for you if you can't DIY them.

I'm not getting angry or defensive, in fact I think it is kind of funny. There is a guy in the Lighting/Equipment forum that starts a new thread for EVERY light he reads about in a blog. In reality this guy will likely never own 99% of them but he is more than willing to complain about each one.

These lights are what they are and EcoTech made it very clear from the get go that not all features will be available at launch. The reality is that no one will have to make their own hanging solution, they will hang them like EcoTech intended from the get go. With either the standard kit that comes with each fixture or with the premium hanging kit that can be purchased for each fixture.

Unread 09/26/2011, 07:23 AM   #215
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

Quote:
With either the standard kit that comes with each fixture or with the premium hanging kit that can be purchased for each fixture.

What is the difference between the standard and premium kit?

Unread 09/26/2011, 09:31 AM   #216
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

From the looks of it, the standard does not come with the stainless steel cables.

Unread 09/27/2011, 08:31 AM   #217
Rosechaser
Registered Member

Have any of you guys got them installed yet...still waiting here in Australia?

Rosechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2011, 08:33 AM   #218
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Haven't been shipped yet, not till mid october.

Unread 09/30/2011, 05:38 PM   #219
kevinrf
Registered Member

pre-ordered mine!!

kevinrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2011, 07:01 PM   #220
TucanSam007
Registered Member

Shipping in 1-2 weeks! anyone else pumped?

TucanSam007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2011, 07:11 PM   #221
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

I am!

Unread 09/30/2011, 09:46 PM   #222
Bricky
Registered Member

I'm ordering one on Tuesday. The trial run is for a small 20"x20" cube with elegance and encrusting monti's. I'm picturing 6 on my 7'x40"x26" display with 150w Kessil Deep Blue's highliting areas between the Radion's. I may have to go with 8 on the display though. Goodbye T5's and 400's (maybe).

Pretty stoked.

Bricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2011, 10:53 PM   #223
Texsun
Registered Member

Yes, I should be in the first batch from Marine Depot. Can't wait!

Eat them up, yum!

Current Tank Info: Dipping my toes back with an Elos Mini...
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 12:51 AM   #224
TucanSam007
Registered Member

I ordered mine from marine depot as well. Kinda confusing though, I talked to a girl crystal and she said they don't come with a hanging kit (their forums say that as well). I've seen that eco-tech stated that they do come with a "standard" hanging kit. I added the premium hanging kit anyways even though I'm sure eco-tech marine forums is a more reliable source then marine depots. Just a heads up guys from what I've heard.

TucanSam007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 09:04 AM   #225
wesleyforbes2
Registered Member

Yes, I ordered the hanging kit from them as well and they are going to combine the shipping.