Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 11/28/2005, 04:10 PM   #41
hancockrich
Registered Member

well way back when i went thu all the posts...its people like you that put so much time in there threads that make the so nice...i do remember when i started reading...there was a thought of making the mod for people to buy. if they had there own pump..did anything ever come of this or do i need to go back a read a bunch more..lol...i dont want to be the guy pm'ing ya and asking for a mod. so i thought id just ask here for all to find out..if anyone else wanted to know..the reason is i did make one but i dont have all the right tools to make it look as well as most i have seen here...mine works but is kinda ugle..lol..kinda like the owner..but i sure would like about 2 more...if you sell them...if not its fine..more then anything i just wanted to say thz for all the work and time you have put in to the mod and helping people as much as you have...best wishes.....rich

Current Tank Info: 60 Gal Star Fire Rimless Cube, XP-2000 Ext skimmer, 400 MH, and some pc's
Unread 11/28/2005, 05:09 PM   #42
dhnguyen
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by hancockrich
well way back when i went thu all the posts...its people like you that put so much time in there threads that make the so nice...i do remember when i started reading...there was a thought of making the mod for people to buy. if they had there own pump..did anything ever come of this or do i need to go back a read a bunch more..lol...i dont want to be the guy pm'ing ya and asking for a mod. so i thought id just ask here for all to find out..if anyone else wanted to know..the reason is i did make one but i dont have all the right tools to make it look as well as most i have seen here...mine works but is kinda ugle..lol..kinda like the owner..but i sure would like about 2 more...if you sell them...if not its fine..more then anything i just wanted to say thz for all the work and time you have put in to the mod and helping people as much as you have...best wishes.....rich
Thank you for the compliments. I'm not really doing this to make any money so I don't think I'm going to sell these enmasse or anything any time soon

Unless there is a way to mass produce these cheaply and with automation, I don't see it being a viable and cost effective "product" to market and sell to the public.

Reefdom.com does sell a very professional looking version of this mod but their prices are well... Lets just say too rich for my pocket especially when compared to the prices of SEIOs and the likes. I can't justify paying those prices when I can DIY everything else minus the nice PVC housing featured on the website.

I love the DIY stuff and don't mind helping others doing so. But if you want me to build you one as I have done for some others on RC, I can probably put one together for ya like $20 shipped. You would have to provide the original Maxijet impeller though.

D.

Unread 11/28/2005, 05:29 PM   #43
dhnguyen
Moved On

An addenum to what I stated previously about making these for people. I can probably build one or 2 here and there as I have spare time from my job and family but if you want like 10 or 20 of these, that's another matter altogether

Unread 11/28/2005, 09:10 PM   #44
headshrink
Registered Member

Don't forget the IceCap one that is coming out soon. It isn't priced yet, but is looks really cool.

Unread 11/28/2005, 09:33 PM   #45
dhnguyen
Moved On

very good point headshrink. Although I highly doubt that it will be inexpensive.

Unread 11/28/2005, 09:45 PM   #46
r3tic
Registered Member

Be cautious "kitting" out anything that resembles a pantented item....might get you into legal trouble

Unread 11/29/2005, 10:19 AM   #47
Loggerhead
Registered Member

Icecap what???

Icecap is coming out with a powerhead?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon AGA Megaflo mixed reef
Unread 11/29/2005, 11:42 AM   #48
headshrink
Registered Member

Yes.

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com...ool_stuff.html

pictures are near the bottom.

(Thanks Marc)

Unread 11/29/2005, 12:47 PM   #49
Loggerhead
Registered Member

Holy Moly!!!

Looks fantastic....but I have the distinct feeling that this will be available to the more well heeled reefer, rather than the DIY crowd.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon AGA Megaflo mixed reef
Unread 11/29/2005, 01:05 PM   #50
GSerg2
Registered Member

I suspect you are correct about that. Looks expensive, very cool idea though. Of course, it wouldn't work for me anyway because of the way my tank and stand is setup. There is not enough room on the back or sides for the driver part.

Current Tank Info: 215g RR, 30g sump, 10g refugium, 750w 14K Hamilton MH + 500w URI VHO
Unread 11/29/2005, 01:21 PM   #51
hancockrich
Registered Member

k...i just looked at it and wow...but how does it work...do ya have to cut a hole in the tank..or is it some kinda of magnet??...anyone know??...thz...rich

Current Tank Info: 60 Gal Star Fire Rimless Cube, XP-2000 Ext skimmer, 400 MH, and some pc's
Unread 11/29/2005, 01:34 PM   #52
headshrink
Registered Member

I am pretty sure it is a magnet.

Unread 11/29/2005, 01:44 PM   #53
dhnguyen
Moved On

It's what you would get if you take the maxi-stream propeller mod and marry it with a magnetic stirrer

Pretty novel idea really using 2 existing technologies together like that. I'm surprise though no one thought of it sooner.

D.

Unread 11/29/2005, 01:50 PM   #54
dhnguyen
Moved On

I will be very curious as to what would happen to Tunze sales numbers when this Vortech powerhead is released though. Rumour has it that the price of a Vortech though not cheap will be less than a Tunze.

Unread 11/29/2005, 02:04 PM   #55
melev
Moved On

Right. No drilling required. I honestly can't wait to get one as I've got the perfect spot in mind. There is a lot of information in a thread over in the IceCap forum if you want to read it.

Unread 11/29/2005, 08:02 PM   #56
larryl
Premium Member

Hi D. -

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
MJ900 mod w/fancy slots

It's hard to tell from this pic bit it looks like the prop sits at about 1/3 of the length of the slotted area (from the right). Is that right? If so, can you tell for sure that the slots to the left of the prop (i.e. downstream) are pulling water in, rather than getting water pushed out? If water is getting pulled in, must be getting some sort of eductor effect...

Larry

Unread 11/29/2005, 09:35 PM   #57
dhnguyen
Moved On

Actually Larry, the prop blades begin just about one inch below the cross brace so no they's not sitting 1/3 of the PVC pipe length

And yes you're right it is using the same principle as eductor in that it sucks in water in a vacuum of sorts and then pushes out in a stream.

Unread 11/29/2005, 09:38 PM   #58
DonJasper
Registered Member

Nice work dhnguyen.

Quote:
Originally posted by Urabggr
Is there any reason that mj1200's aren't used? Or is it just because you didn't have one. I ask because I plan on doing this mod on my 1200 but haven't really seen many people using the 1200. Is it too strong? Thanks!
Once you get prop spinning around it doesn't matter any more. The bigger the prop the more water moved. On weaker powerheads you have trim off the ends of the prop to make is smaller so it will spin. Otherwise the prop just flutters back and forth making lots of noise but moving no water.

It can make a BIG difference.

Unread 11/30/2005, 11:15 AM   #59
hancockrich
Registered Member

bump...this should stay on the first page....and up top...rich

Unread 11/30/2005, 11:24 AM   #60
GSerg2
Registered Member

Why do you have an inch space between the props and the brace? Trying picture it in my head, it seems that if the prop was closer it would be better because it would hit the stop block quicker if the impeller turned the wrong way on startup. I'm not questioning your design, just trying to understand fully what is happening. I probably have a flaw in my thinking on this.

Thanks again for this thread. I have my parts ordered and hopefully they will be here by this weekend!!!

Current Tank Info: 215g RR, 30g sump, 10g refugium, 750w 14K Hamilton MH + 500w URI VHO
Closed Thread