Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2006, 07:41 PM   #1
smatter
Registered Member

New Osmolator Won't Work

I got my osmolator today and couldn't get it hooked up fast enough. I am so sick of manually adding make-up water. Anyway, after an hour of wrestling with the mounting brackets I got it all set up and at the moment of truth I plugged it in......nothing. Not a single LED illuminated. I checked that it was switched to 9v and tried a different outlet, no luck. I then made sure all the wires and plugs were installed properly, everything appears to be right just no power. I even removed the cover and inspected all the connections, which all looked good, which leads me to believe it is probably the ballast. The red power light goes on when its plugged in. I am so bummed.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 08:04 PM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Hmm, the osmolators go through 3 tests before they leave so I would have to agree the likely culprit is the power supply or a wrong size plug not making contact to the osmolator unit. Can you test the output voltage and see if the size of the plug seems about right?

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 08:44 PM   #3
smatter
Registered Member

It seems to be making contact when its plugged in, as for testing the output voltage, I would have to ask a friend. I plugged it in when I had the cover off to see.

Unread 06/07/2006, 09:38 PM   #4
smatter
Registered Member

It is definitely the plug. I took the cover off and plugged it in again. When I pushed it to the side with the contact the unit began to pump and then stopped after about 10 seconds like it is supposed to and then the level light stayed on. As soon as I remove pressure it shuts off. The diameter of the plug is too small to depress the contact, or the contact needs to be bent into a more accute angle so it doesn't need to move as far. Also a couple of other things, I have the high level sensor about three inches from the magnet holder on my reefpack. It doesn't seem to be attracting the float. The book says 20cm, but it is in the best looking spot right now so I don't want to move it. The low level sensor is 15 inches below my 250w Nova, the book says this is not good, there is no shade.

Unread 06/08/2006, 09:20 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is not ideal primarily because algae will grow on the sensor and cause it to fail or need frequent maintanence but beyond that it should be OK. PM me an address and I will send a new transformer.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 06/08/2006, 06:45 PM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I sent it today.

Unread 06/08/2006, 10:03 PM   #7
smatter
Registered Member

You are a gentleman and a scholar.