Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2018, 06:24 PM   #1
mobyfish
Registered Member

Diatoms diatoms diatoms

Hi all, I have the early stages of a 200 gallon fowlr system. I purchased my dryrock about 4-5 months ago and had it cycling for about 3 months. Then, a month ago I added them along with a small cuc (5 or 6 snails, 10 hermits, and 1 cleaner shrimp) to my display tank. A couple weeks after that I added 4 damsels that I had in quarantine for a month. Everything has been going smoothly so far but yesterday I noticed some brown stuff (presumably diatoms) on my rock where the light directly hit. And today, my rock is coated. My question is if this is normal with a tank that is out of the nitrate cycle? My parameters are good 0-Ammonia, 0-Nitrite, 0-2 Nitrate. My fish are doing fantastic and eating well. Thanks for any input

mobyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 10:10 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

That's normal, and I'd ignore it for now, most likely. A picture might help double-check that, though.

Unread 03/20/2018, 08:09 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep.. Diatoms are a totally normal part of a new tank..
Typically referred to as one of the "ugly stages" which diatoms then green hair/film algae then cyano and usually occurring in that order...

All will go away in time (could be a week.. could be a month or so) provide you keep up with proper tank maintenance and are not adding fuel to the system..
Fuel for diatoms would be silicates..
Fuel for algaes would be nutrients like nitrates and phosphates..