Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2018, 03:39 PM   #1
fixmgood
Registered Member

Tunze power supply

Does anyone know where I can get a power supply for a powerhead,other than Tunze they are rather pricey. I need an ac/dc 24v, 4.2amp model 07226. I have been searching online but only found really cheap ones I am looking for a better quality.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 02:33 PM   #2
bblumberg
Registered Member

How about the appropriate Meanwell power supply? Their 120W (24v 5a) power supplies are around $43 with many choices as to types. The GST120A24-P1M seems to be fairly similar to the Tunze power supplies. Dunno if the connector is correct, but they offer various options.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:48 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

better quality = higher price
What would be a price you are willing to pay?

In general a good quality (more known brand) 24V@5A supply is gonna run you in the $35-40+ range..
And ones out of China in the $15-25 range...
In general though just because its in the lower $ range doesn't mean its not capable of lasting a long time,etc...

Unread 03/15/2018, 09:40 AM   #4
fixmgood
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. The Tunze power supplies run $190.00 I found some cheaper ones $35.00 that I have ordered and will see how they work.
Bruce I see we live in the same city, I would like to make contact with you to see your tank.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
Unread 03/15/2018, 12:23 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

$190? huh?
Oh crap.. sure enough.. Tunze 6300.240 is the part number you really want and yes they are selling for about that... What BS..

Unread 03/15/2018, 01:07 PM   #6
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
$190? huh?
Oh crap.. sure enough.. Tunze 6300.240 is the part number you really want and yes they are selling for about that... What BS..
https://www.jlaquatics.com/tunze-tur...6300-240a.html
WAS $274.. now ONLY $137..

crazy.................
$24.50 and 2 x the watts..
https://www.alliedelec.com/mean-well...SABEgJkRvD_BwE

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 05:51 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
$190? huh?
That 6300.240 isn’t a regular power supply like you would find on a Lap Top. It’s a tri voltage power supply meaning that you can change it from 12 to 18 to 24 volt output by swapping a resistor in the cover. I believe its made by Meanwell but could be wrong. Either way, it’s not a cheap low quality power supply A standard 24 volt power supply can be used but that limits the ability to reduce the minimum flow from the Tunze’s.

That said, one thing people fail to consider when looking at the pricing is that Tunze is a German company. They don’t use cheap Chinese power supplies or and the cost of components in Europe are a bit higher. Especially when they import into Europe then export into the US. I know this because of my experience with Royal Exclusiv as well as from my computer business where we import certain products from Germany as well. . European companies have much higher cost of goods and cost of doing business even regardless of where they source components for their products. Tunze Germany needs to have margin for themselves and their dealer channel as does Tunze USA which is essentially a seperate entity and like Europe, there needs to be decent margin for the North American dealer channel which reflects in the MSRP. So yes, quality power supplies can be found cheaper elsewhere but you may not be getting as good of a quality one or one with the same functionality depending on which Tunze power supply you are replacing. Point being that it’s not like Tunze is ripping people off. They are providing quality products as evidenced by those of us who have been running the same Tunze’s for over a decade. They also have a high cost than a US company that imports directly from China for example. Amazon, EBay, Jebao etc are great examples of that where we compare prices but the quality often isn’t the same nor is the business model that has to sustain multiple tiers of distribution including a European distribution channel.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 03/15/2018 at 06:11 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 06:40 PM   #8
fixmgood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
That 6300.240 isn’t a regular power supply like you would find on a Lap Top. It’s a tri voltage power supply meaning that you can change it from 12 to 18 to 24 volt output by swapping a resistor in the cover. I believe its made by Meanwell but could be wrong. Either way, it’s not a cheap low quality power supply A standard 24 volt power supply can be used but that limits the ability to reduce the minimum flow from the Tunze’s.

That said, one thing people fail to consider when looking at the pricing is that Tunze is a German company. They don’t use cheap Chinese power supplies or and the cost of components in Europe are a bit higher. Especially when they import into Europe then export into the US. I know this because of my experience with Royal Exclusiv as well as from my computer business where we import certain products from Germany as well. . European companies have much higher cost of goods and cost of doing business even regardless of where they source components for their products. Tunze Germany needs to have margin for themselves and their dealer channel as does Tunze USA which is essentially a seperate entity and like Europe, there needs to be decent margin for the North American dealer channel which reflects in the MSRP. So yes, quality power supplies can be found cheaper elsewhere but you may not be getting as good of a quality one or one with the same functionality depending on which Tunze power supply you are replacing. Point being that it’s not like Tunze is ripping people off. They are providing quality products as evidenced by those of us who have been running the same Tunze’s for over a decade. They also have a high cost than a US company that imports directly from China for example. Amazon, EBay, Jebao etc are great examples of that where we compare prices but the quality often isn’t the same nor is the business model that has to sustain multiple tiers of distribution including a European distribution channel.

Scott sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the Tunze power supplies are made in China. It has nothing to to do with quality just the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/15/2018, 07:13 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmgood View Post
Scott sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the Tunze power supplies are made in China. It has nothing to to do with quality just the bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meanwell power supplies are made in China but they are MUCH higher quality than the cheap Chinese junk power supplies. Trust me, after 30 years in the computer manufacturing business, I know all about cheap Chinese power supplies vs quality ones. There is a difference and in some cases a VERY big difference but also as I explained, it goes beyond just the cost of the power supply. It has to do with the cost of doing business in Europe as a manufacturer along with the price struction that supports a distribution model that leaves margin for the distributor, reseller etc. Then there are the export costs to the US and import costs and and again, the price structure that supports the dealer channel and the resellers get a pretty fair margin on their purchases because they invest in inventory. That price structure dictates that the MSRP is high enough to allow Tunze Germany to make money, Tunze USA to make money as well as the dealers. But make no mistake, these aren’t a cheap $15 power supply. Not even close.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote