Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Bent
I got nothin'

Balancing light for macro algae and peacock, and other general questions.

So I’m about week two into housing my peacock and so far (she?) is doing well and adjusting

I’ve been feeding her frozen salad shrimp and a few snails here and there from the display tank.

I have considered buying some saltwater feeder shrimp and keeping them in the sump of the p. Vulgaris (sp?) variety. There are a couple of places online. I was going to buy about 25 of them, put them in the sump to help with cleanup down there and maybe breed who knows. I was going to just take one here and there like the claw on toy story and feed them to my mantis. Does this sound like a healthy thing to do? Surely it has to be a little better than the frozen salad shrimps I’m feeding it.

Second question is about lighting. I’ve read a few things online with no real evidence posted to back it up that peacocks like low light. Considering this is in my refugium with some macro algae and some weed corals, I was wondering how much light is to much light? I have a 150 watt Chinese black box over the tank that seems to be growing things out pretty decently. I want to turn the light down enough to grow the photosynthetics and still keep me mantis comfortable. Is there any veracity to these “peacock mantis shrimp need low light claims?”

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Jlentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
So I’m about week two into housing my peacock and so far (she?) is doing well and adjusting

I’ve been feeding her frozen salad shrimp and a few snails here and there from the display tank.

I have considered buying some saltwater feeder shrimp and keeping them in the sump of the p. Vulgaris (sp?) variety. There are a couple of places online. I was going to buy about 25 of them, put them in the sump to help with cleanup down there and maybe breed who knows. I was going to just take one here and there like the claw on toy story and feed them to my mantis. Does this sound like a healthy thing to do? Surely it has to be a little better than the frozen salad shrimps I’m feeding it.

Second question is about lighting. I’ve read a few things online with no real evidence posted to back it up that peacocks like low light. Considering this is in my refugium with some macro algae and some weed corals, I was wondering how much light is to much light? I have a 150 watt Chinese black box over the tank that seems to be growing things out pretty decently. I want to turn the light down enough to grow the photosynthetics and still keep me mantis comfortable. Is there any veracity to these “peacock mantis shrimp need low light claims?”

I’d love to be able to keep live ghost shrimp for feeders. Tried a couple times and it didn’t work so well. I mainly feed frozen clams from the Lfs.

My mantis tank is an lps reef. With rbtas. It’s a 90 so I’ve got enough height to help out. I try to run closer to the actinic part of the spectrum.

The biggest problem I have is that my current resident is a murderous bastard and I can’t keep anything in the tank that eats algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Newfishgirl
Registered Member

I have kept mantis in all different kinds of lighting, including a T5 set up that was on all day and never had any issues with shell rot. I’m not sure if others have experience this, but mine have always been okay.

Newfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfishgirl View Post
I have kept mantis in all different kinds of lighting, including a T5 set up that was on all day and never had any issues with shell rot. I’m not sure if others have experience this, but mine have always been okay.

Thank you that is good to know.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2018, 11:55 AM   #5
Finland
Registered Member

I have a Peacock in a 75 that has enough light to grow LPS, macro algae, and zoas. The mantis seems healthy enough. I have had the mantis for about a year and a half. The tank has plent of live rock and a massive Duncan to provide a lot of shaded/dark areas.

Current Tank Info: 280 reef
Finland is offline   Reply With Quote