Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/19/2019, 06:03 AM   #51
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I apologise if typos or language difference makes a bother in advance but you don't seem that much into hard facts anyway, so I am sure you can live with it

Have a nice day y'all
Best wishes ~ Sofie

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 08:17 AM   #52
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
Planetmarco seemingly did not test my suggestion, so imma gonna not spend any time on it.
My anemones are doing just fine. I don’t need to entertain your voodoo nonsense. Aquarist here are looking for sound advice. Provide empirical evidence and use standardized terminology so people can understand what you’re talking about. Otherwise you’re just trolling.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 09:57 AM   #53
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Planetmarco, yeah....that Nems react to light is voodoo, right, and btw. I will provide you with the exact same amount of empirical evidence as I would for you for magnetism: absolutely zero - do enjoy your free ability to do research online.

Unread 06/19/2019, 09:58 AM   #54
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Seriously, get over it, all you guys had to do was say "I have already tried that" but nooooooo, you never said the magic words did you, anyway, have fun y'all.

Unread 06/19/2019, 12:45 PM   #55
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
You are literally a citizen of the united states, correct? So you, literally, do not have a language? ...
Incorrect on both accounts.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 12:55 PM   #56
OrionN
Moved on

Sofie,
I was going to write a long reply to point out what is wrong with what you wrote, but what is the use. There are so many problems with what you wrote that it will take me all day, and I am too busy and not have the time.

You keep on saying that you are scientific base and I am not. However, your logic is so full of holes and what you wrote/think as facts are just word you wrote without any base without any credible support.

Just to let you know, I am a practicing physician. I came from Vietnam and a teenager, not knowing any English. Able to take advantage of the US educational system (I am eternally grateful for this) and did well enough to get admitted to medical school after college.

Throughout my education from middle school though medical school I work and did research. Form animals to medical research on human. I have published.

Regarding our hobby, I had two key contributions. The first is the protocol for treating Pinched Mantel Disease in Clams with fresh water dip in the early 2000, and the second is the protocol for antibiotic treatment of Anemones.
My research publications were all in the early 1980's before the internet was widely available.

All of this is just to let you know that the scientific methods are well know to me. I am well train in research. I can observed and I am reasonably intelligent person.

I even trying to contemplate trying to ID some of the bacterial that cause anemone infections. I wrote to Kevin at LiveAquaria and got him to agree to send me Gigantea and Magnifica so I can culture them. at the end I did not go though with it. Even with the free anemones promised by Kevin the cost of the project was prohibit high. The antibiotic protocol was a success already. The antibiotic was cheap and widely available. I did not think that I need to ID and narrow the treatment protocol.

Good luck with the hobby. I will read but not reply to anything else you wrote. You got the last word.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 01:30 PM   #57
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Sofie,
I was going to write a long reply to point out what is wrong with what you wrote, but what is the use. There are so many problems with what you wrote that it will take me all day, and I am too busy and not have the time.

You keep on saying that you are scientific base and I am not. However, your logic is so full of holes and what you wrote/think as facts are just word you wrote without any base without any credible support.

Just to let you know, I am a practicing physician. I came from Vietnam and a teenager, not knowing any English. Able to take advantage of the US educational system (I am eternally grateful for this) and did well enough to get admitted to medical school after college.

Throughout my education from middle school though medical school I work and did research. Form animals to medical research on human. I have published.

Regarding our hobby, I had two key contributions. The first is the protocol for treating Pinched Mantel Disease in Clams with fresh water dip in the early 2000, and the second is the protocol for antibiotic treatment of Anemones.
My research publications were all in the early 1980's before the internet was widely available.

All of this is just to let you know that the scientific methods are well know to me. I am well train in research. I can observed and I am reasonably intelligent person.

I even trying to contemplate trying to ID some of the bacterial that cause anemone infections. I wrote to Kevin at LiveAquaria and got him to agree to send me Gigantea and Magnifica so I can culture them. at the end I did not go though with it. Even with the free anemones promised by Kevin the cost of the project was prohibit high. The antibiotic protocol was a success already. The antibiotic was cheap and widely available. I did not think that I need to ID and narrow the treatment protocol.

Good luck with the hobby. I will read but not reply to anything else you wrote. You got the last word.
Minh, you wanted to disprove Allelopathy, I said the science behind that was undisputable, not that my opinion were.

You didn't actually ever reflect on what I said, you just felt criticised and started defending your self but if you start defending a position without thinking it through, you can weaken your own position greatly. Oh that's actually great, making your own place in life I mean, although you did not have to tell me you come from Vietnam, I figured that out already

And I am actually really happy that you did make all that effort, but as I said, had you a more humble character, you would receive much more love and adoration for that contribution, you are just not very affable.

To be honest I am glad you did not use your resources on that specific idea, from what I have seen so far, studies of anemone bacteria is proving rather difficult as they seem to constantly change without much to explain why. But anyway, I have as I said, already read what I could find of your texts (here on this forum I mean), but other than that I don't know of your work.

It is just, easy to throw antibiotics after something and the condition of our oceans and general waterways are changing.

In this case there was some mentioning in the OP of keeping nems in the main DT and in such a case allelopathy should indeed be considered before cripo. Just to rule OUT any other possibilities before going through your protocol Minh

I am a very nature loving person and I did indeed never take any education that helps me neither speak or study any fishes or invertebrates but a Carpet is a Carpet and a Nem with longer tentacles makes shapes that can best be described as skirts, since that shape (of skirts) is not really possible to describe anyway else.

To a degree I wish this conversation had not gone like this but on the other hand, if that teen girl culture of making an alliance about what behaviour is right and then freeze out anybody who doesn't fit is is to be followed in this forum, it is sure better to get it out in the clear so hobbyists who reads this knows the forum does not offer nuanced advice because peoples pride are at stake over how they did things themselves

Its alright, I'll still read yours and pester you with questions should I need it and if you are too emotional to help another person with a question that could help the marine life we all love so dearly, you can just ignore me at that time okay?

And honestly, have a great time and enjoy the Marine aquaria we managed to save, while it lasts

Unread 06/19/2019, 02:40 PM   #58
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Incorrect on both accounts.
Uhm....okay.
Didn't notice this earlier ThRoewer, in any regards, you can explain me the biological definition of a carpet before you lash out at me for calling a skirt a skirt, in denmark we call a spade a spade, but at the end of the day I just said 2 things and none of y'all did half as good a job at countering that as you did at putting effort into discrediting me.

I said 1: if allelopathy is a factor in the tank of an individual Nem specimen, there is no need to try antibiotics before trying to actually remove the allelopathy. 2: try provoking the hell out of it with lighting and as I already wrote earlier, all anybody had to say, was "I already tried that", so relax yourselves now, how can we enjoy eachother's differences if we only approve of one way of doing things

Also to you, have a great time, sorry I didn't notice your, short, comment earlier, the forum only gave me Minhs update at the time but as everybody else here with some experience, you are interesting to read comments from but this all turned way too personal way too quickly. If you are not a citizen in the so-called united states, I really don't see why you should be so shocked by people opposing their customs of using antibiotics.

The problem is never people who know what they are doing and act with good moral. The problem is that anybody can get these antibiotics and not anybody just treat it right.

It was never, and will never be my fault that y'all jumped in when I said that antibiotics can be misused, you should have all just insisted that you ever only handle it with 100% awesome godlike perfection and care and then we could have all talked about how somebody else somewhere might not know how to do it right and you could have repeated all the right ways of doing things BUT NO, we didn't do that, we just got into a debate about our differences.. let's all try to spend our time better in the future, I already said it all probably started because I managed to be less than polite to the OP but none of you allowed me to make that yeild to you, I several times offered we jumped back to debating the actual anemone and clownfish slimecoat or bacterial cultures etc., you pretty much all debated me as I would expect you to debate with your spouses or those who love you.

Let us forget about our differences, you like antibiotics all over your Nems, I like importing LR from the same place as the aquaria in general and the same goes for the bacterial cultures on the Nem. I am happy that it never went through a disinfection process like what you say you do to the more "difficult" nems.

Just remember, that anemones with "skirts" (not carpets) will deflate to rearrange themselves and they often run out of energy midway. This can happen around noon when people are away from home, often about a month into acclimatization, it also often happen at evening time. They will then recuperate over night and try again the next day. If it keeps having less than optimal energy, it begins to eat through the zooxanthellae, deflating more and more in order to both eat, pull in skirt, put out skirt, and exceed waste, all at the same time.

If at all possible, observe the anemone as much often as you can and each time it deflate to a degree that is of any concern, do something with your light setting, until the Nem reacts by inflating enough to not be able to trigger gangrene in the tentacles.

You might not need my advice, but, people read these strings for years and years trying to come up with answers for stuff like keeping anemones and at least they can read and try it out, perhaps it works for them.

Unread 06/19/2019, 04:06 PM   #59
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Unread 06/19/2019, 05:52 PM   #60
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would suggest reading up on anemone anatomy. The so called "carpet" anemones have the same anatomy as all the other members of the Stichodactylidae which represent the majority of what is called host-anemones. And the anatomy of the Stichodactylidae doesn't differ in any significant way from that of all other Actiniaria or even Hexacorallia if you just look at the soft tissue.
The difference in tentacle length is really insignificant in that regard and in fact only S. haddoni and S. tapetum have actually consistently short tentacles. All other members of this family can contract or expand their tentacles to at least some degree as needed.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 08:52 PM   #61
OrionN
Moved on

Here is a video of my 65 gal. The Gigantea Carpet and the Magnifica have been together for 2 years. This is my office tank, does not have skimmer or Carbon, or any chemical filtration in it. I change 10 gal of water monthly. It does have a Kalk reactor to added saturated kalk into the tank as top off water.
https://youtu.be/I-Ib7f4zG_c

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 06/20/2019, 09:55 AM   #62
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is a video of my 65 gal. The Gigantea Carpet and the Magnifica have been together for 2 years. This is my office tank, does not have skimmer or Carbon, or any chemical filtration in it. I change 10 gal of water monthly. It does have a Kalk reactor to added saturated kalk into the tank as top off water.
Alway enjoy your videos Minh. Just hit the Subcribe button on your channel. This is why you are the Anemone Guru. The haters will need a Xanax after watching this one. LOL

Unread 06/21/2019, 10:25 AM   #63
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

ThRoewer is it not up to you to tell me when to call something "Clown" and when to call the same thing "Amphiprion", it is simply completely my own choice.

And to people reading in general, remember that condylactis are often mistakenly called "Long Tentacle Anemone" but that name refers directly to the Macrodactyla Doreensis. Here, in this debate, I am giving advice about all "anemones WITH long tentacles", which is not to be mistaken with the general name "Long Tentacle Anemone" which only refers to the Macrodactyla and not all anemones WITH long tentacles

The skirts of the ritteri covers the animals disk so that you proud and caring owners, cannot see what is going on with it.

The skirts of the Macrodactyla does not cover the disk and makes it possible to see what it is doing.

If you, after ALL the experience you've got with Nems still say stuff like "Nems does weird things sometimes!" I suggest that you buy and keep a Macrodactyla so you can easily see what it is doing until you UNDERSTAND what they are doing with their skirts ....

This string >was< about a ritteri losing tentacles but because of trollnorms it quickly became about >me<

The ritteri is spitting out tentacles and I actually offered a logical explanation.

- The Nem runs out of energy in the tremendous job of resetting its entire sun-catching-tent or sun-catching-net, aka. the "skirts".

- Meanwhile of running out of energy, the tentacles slide into the mouth area.

- As the Nem then continue to move, tentacles are getting snapped off, which is apparent since the Nem would be digesting the Tentacles if it was intentionally cannibalising them to get added energy.

And there is nothing wrong in using antibiotics with proper care.

There is on the other hand, lots of stuff wrong with trying antibiotics treatment before removing other possible reasons for the Nem not thriving, such as allelopathy.

Like fishes, nems may not all react like the next specimen. Just because one pair of Nems gets along with one another, does not mean all will as a general rule.

If y'all could get those troll habits out of the way so no armies or factories of trolls end up taking over this forum as well, and try to get your heads back to debating the OPs topic.

I (still) suggest that you flush the QT with zoo- and phytoplankton, as the Nem will then take care to funnel the water towards its central disk and mouth, both leading to movement in the oxygen deprived tentacles and to the Nem getting some food that does NOT take energy to digest in the same manner as bigger food stuff.

Ah, yea, nems does react to plankton, perhaps if you kept macrodactyla you would have noticed.

Unread 06/21/2019, 03:39 PM   #64
j.falk
Registered Member

Agree to disagree and move on...this bickering back and forth is a waste of time.

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2019, 01:00 AM   #65
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Yea, all we have to do is say online that using Antibiotics before all other avenues have been tried is not right, but, to the detriment of people with established rumours, not all seem to come to terms with that.

I think y'all actually took greater offence that I used the term Skirt about the anemone moving mass around, thus violating some male Anthropomorphism that you have been applying to these lifeforms, than you did of me implying that you waste antibiotics readily for nothing.

But as I said, trolls move the borders how of people talk everywhere - I see less and less types of questions get answered inhere over the years but we can see if we can get it back on track if we wanna

Cheers y'all.

Unread 07/19/2020, 11:35 PM   #66
Insane_Realmz
Registered Member

Damn it all. I came here to find answers about my Heteractis Magnifica suffering from what looks like is tentacle consumption. Basically, the nem is rittled with filaments inside of the tentacles, almost all tentacles are like this. He used to have long, fat, bulbous, beautiful tentacles like a Mag with clowns in those awesome pictures people get from scuba diving. Now his tentacles are crinkled like crinkle but fries, curly and shriveled. I can't figure out what the filaments are about on the insides. He's puked his lunch and I've now got him in quarantine with cipro, because I suspected a bacterial infection.

But then this thread, which might have been useful, got completely ****-canned by the idiot Small Heavens. Lots of internet searching and it came to this. Thanks for nothing Small Heavens, crazy useless people like you are the reason experienced aquarists hesitate with posting USEFUL information on these forums. Extreme frustration here.

Insane_Realmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2020, 08:14 AM   #67
brad
Registered Member

Amazing how one contrary opinion isn't just ignored,but spirals out of control, sucking everyone else into a flame war..

I've never seen anything like this, but cipro would have been my 'go to'. Did they make it?

brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2020, 05:11 PM   #68
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

I agree with you Brad.

Always look at a posters profile. You can see when they joined and how long they have been in this hobby for. I value the opinions of our senior resident experts who have shaped this hobby and given us the ability to keep these rare specimens.

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2020, 05:29 PM   #69
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad View Post
Amazing how one contrary opinion isn't just ignored,but spirals out of control, sucking everyone else into a flame war..

I've never seen anything like this, but cipro would have been my 'go to'. Did they make it?
THOSE 2 did not make it. I ended up trying one more time a ritteri from LA. knock on wood I've had 'him' since last October, has gotten much much bigger since I got him. I have a now maited pair of wc percula's . They bonded and spawned since I got them that same month. They will not ever leave their home even for food.

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2020, 08:02 PM   #70
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Orion
reallly nice nems . My ritteri is catching up in size to yours though! :-D
**How to you keep your magnifica/riterri from climbing the wall right behind it?
Mine's been happy at the very top of my drain box for many months, moving a few inches side to side every so often. I'm still super excited about mine lol

EDIT: did that magnifica split?

TY minh!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2020, 08:25 PM   #71
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Orion
reallly nice nems . My ritteri is catching up in size to yours though! :-D
**How to you keep your magnifica/riterri from climbing the wall right behind it?
Mine's been happy at the very top of my drain box for many months, moving a few inches side to side every so often. I'm still super excited about mine lol

EDIT: did that magnifica split?

TY minh!
That Magnifica stay on the same rock for years. I did not feed him on purpose because I don’t want him to get bigger. Grew from the light Radion G4 pro light on top of him and the good current which bring him fish food. He split a while ago and one of the clone climbed the wall and the other stay at the same place. I gave the one on the wall to one of my friend. My tank sprung a leak and I brought them home. They are in my sump right now.

Unread 09/03/2020, 02:25 PM   #72
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
That Magnifica stay on the same rock for years. I did not feed him on purpose because I don’t want him to get bigger. Grew from the light Radion G4 pro light on top of him and the good current which bring him fish food. He split a while ago and one of the clone climbed the wall and the other stay at the same place. I gave the one on the wall to one of my friend. My tank sprung a leak and I brought them home. They are in my sump right now.
Hey if you have another split I’ll take one. Been looking since mine died in Urdu and Irma a few years back

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote