Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2015, 11:36 AM   #4651
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poomba View Post
Humaguy, how many are coming soon to your QT?
not getting any...lol, but would love to see a blueface hybrid...

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 04:00 PM   #4652
paka
Registered Member

Ted, Are you basing the transitioning of the personatus to male on the yellow/orange color developing on the pelvic fins? If so, no worries since the females also have yellow/orange pelvics. I'd wager that the first fish that showed that color will continue to transition to a male and your other two will remain female.

You can see photos of your fishes parents on my blog. The Aug. 30, 2014 post has a photo of each. It's difficult to see in the photo but Hina (the mom) also has some yellow/orange on her pectoral fins as well.

Glad to see the Gps looking wonderful as they mature, and that little gem hybrid is gorgeous! Also thanks for sharing the photos of the Bali Aquarich babies. Those guys are doing some fantastic work over there!

Karen

paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 05:42 PM   #4653
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Hey Karen. Hoku is just fine. Was in ISO box for a week and now has half of my 90 gallon cube with divider just to make sure my pep named now Hoki lol gets along. All great.

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 10:41 AM   #4654
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paka View Post
Ted, Are you basing the transitioning of the personatus to male on the yellow/orange color developing on the pelvic fins? If so, no worries since the females also have yellow/orange pelvics. I'd wager that the first fish that showed that color will continue to transition to a male and your other two will remain female.

You can see photos of your fishes parents on my blog. The Aug. 30, 2014 post has a photo of each. It's difficult to see in the photo but Hina (the mom) also has some yellow/orange on her pectoral fins as well.

Glad to see the Gps looking wonderful as they mature, and that little gem hybrid is gorgeous! Also thanks for sharing the photos of the Bali Aquarich babies. Those guys are doing some fantastic work over there!

Karen

Hey Karen,

I meant to send you some pics, will do so soon.

All 3 are showing orange, to varying degrees on their pelvic fins...but the larger 2 are also showing it on the edge of their anal fins. You can see it in some of the pics I posted a few days ago. It seems to be starting closest to the anus and moving towards the tail. Lol, can you see it?

Crazy to see what Bali is dong, really is amazing. Still working on the fish.

Thanks,

Ted

Unread 07/15/2015, 01:10 PM   #4655
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Ted any news from Wen on if he has had any more success with tb Conspics?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 12:53 AM   #4656
paka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humaguy View Post
Hey Karen,

I meant to send you some pics, will do so soon.

All 3 are showing orange, to varying degrees on their pelvic fins...but the larger 2 are also showing it on the edge of their anal fins. You can see it in some of the pics I posted a few days ago. It seems to be starting closest to the anus and moving towards the tail. Lol, can you see it?

Crazy to see what Bali is dong, really is amazing. Still working on the fish.

Thanks,

Ted
OK, I see it now that you've pointed it out. Thank you.
It'll be interesting to see the outcome. Hopefully they'll be best buddies.

paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 11:20 AM   #4657
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Ted any news from Wen on if he has had any more success with tb Conspics?
Hey bud, no, I think he is still working on replacing the broodstock...

Unread 07/16/2015, 11:39 AM   #4658
humaguy
Premium Member

the trimac hybrid story....Wen strikes again...

July 16, Lemon TYK –

In continuation with our previous post on Bali Aquarich’s new Euxiphipops angelfish, we’re revealing the second angelfish to hit the scene. This time its not one species, but a hybrid combination of two. This marks the eighth species of angelfish and second hybrid produced by Mr. Su and Bali Aquarich since he first started with Pomacanthus annularis.

30 day
Bali Aquarich’s new hybrid angelfish. Here a 30 day old juvenile. Photo credit: Lemon TYK.

Having succeeded with Apolemichthys trimaculatus just three months ago in April, the secrets and methodology behind Apolemichthys rearing is still fresh in their minds. The plan of breeding A. xanthopunctatus (The Goldflake Angelfish) was put forth, and Mr. Su travelled to Singapore in search of suitable broodstock. A total of three specimens were procured, and eventually a pair formed, leaving one alone and un-bonded. Coincidentally, Bali Aquarich also had a lone A. trimaculatus lying around, and the two were paired together alone in a dedicated system.

hybrid trimaculatus
A thirty day old post-settled juvenile of A. trimaculatus x A. xanthopunctatus. Photo credit: Lemon TYK.

While not much was going on with the Goldflake pairs, things were starting to get frisky with the odd Goldflake-Flagfin couple and before long, spawning took place. Seeing as these were the only two angelfish in that particular system, the resulting offspring had to be hybrid origin. Eggs were collected and attempts at rearing the larvae proved successful, and juveniles were seen for the first time just two months later.

Apolemichthys-trimaculatus
Juvenile pure blooded A. trimaculatus at this life stage are nearly impossible to differentiate with the hybrids. Photo credit: Lemon TYK.

Because juveniles of both species are extremely similar, the resulting hybrids are likewise, very difficult to diagnose – especially this early on in their development. The only reason why we’re certain of their identity is because no other angelfish species aside from their inter-specific parent pairings are present in the system where eggs were collected from. As expected, the juvenile hybrids at this stage are nearly impossible to separate from A. trimaculatus.

It appears that the dorsal ocelli is slightly larger in the hybrid, but again this is very likely just an individual variation that is inconsistent across the board. Even at sizes up to 2 inches, differentiating them from regular A. xanthopunctatus are tricky. Hybrid phenotype usually starts becoming apparent only at 3 inches and above, and that’s where the subtle blend of both species can truly be appreciated. We’re not sure how these will grow up to look like, and whether or not captive breeding has any effect on their phenotypic expression. One thing’s for sure though, these hybrids are available only in very limited numbers, and we for sure can’t wait to see what Bali Aquarich churns out next.

Sorry, I did not include the intermediary photos...

Unread 07/17/2015, 11:13 AM   #4659
humaguy
Premium Member

the Geni hybrid...

Unread 07/17/2015, 11:50 AM   #4660
cFloor
Registered Member

Such a beauty!

I have a random question for you Ted. I was wondering how long you keep your fish in acclimation boxes upon introduction? thanks

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2015, 04:45 PM   #4661
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Such a beauty!

I have a random question for you Ted. I was wondering how long you keep your fish in acclimation boxes upon introduction? thanks
Thanks!

Really depends on the fish and how the others are reacting to it while in the box...I released the gem hybrid from the box yesterday...

Unread 07/17/2015, 08:28 PM   #4662
cFloor
Registered Member

Thanks, I was asking because I have a second regal angel in an acclimation box for the past two days. I removed it a while ago from my display tank to fatten her up more in my frag tank. It's funny, it use to get along fine with my other regal but the past two days the regal in my display has been going at the acclimation box. It was unexpected to say the least.

Unread 07/18/2015, 02:02 PM   #4663
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Thanks, I was asking because I have a second regal angel in an acclimation box for the past two days. I removed it a while ago from my display tank to fatten her up more in my frag tank. It's funny, it use to get along fine with my other regal but the past two days the regal in my display has been going at the acclimation box. It was unexpected to say the least.
it would be great to switch the regals for a bit...

Unread 07/18/2015, 02:25 PM   #4664
humaguy
Premium Member

kinda cool really bad pic..

Unread 07/18/2015, 03:32 PM   #4665
cFloor
Registered Member

Quote:
it would be great to switch the regals for a bit...
Thanks Ted, that's what I'm going to try and do. I don't know why there was no aggression 6 months ago. So weird. Anyway, I appreciate the advice. Stunning pics that you just posted too. Clarions are one of my favorite angels. One day…

Unread 07/18/2015, 11:15 PM   #4666
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

Ted your are an angel guy what are you doing with that tang!!!!!?????!!!

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 07:49 AM   #4667
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingtar_shinowa View Post
He has to expand... He is running out of angels to buy!

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 09:02 AM   #4668
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Hey bud, been a long time, I hope all is well with you...you see the trimac hybrids Wen has? curious to see how they grow...

the tang, lol, 1 of 2 ever caught and only one to come to the usa, was an easy choice....

Unread 07/19/2015, 10:40 AM   #4669
HPark
Registered Member

Wow - the genicanthus hybrid is spectacular! What an amazing fish - thank you for sharing as always!

Unread 07/19/2015, 09:47 PM   #4670
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey bud, been a long time, I hope all is well with you...you see the trimac hybrids Wen has? curious to see how they grow...

the tang, lol, 1 of 2 ever caught and only one to come to the usa, was an easy choice....
Good score I approve as a "tang guy." I curate (is that the phrase?) a 16,000 gallon system now and love all the big tangs I get to stock now. And dive with. And hand feed. Its pretty neat. Pretty spares on the angel front in there though.

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2015, 04:12 PM   #4671
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Quote:
Good score I approve as a "tang guy." I curate (is that the phrase?) a 16,000 gallon system now and love all the big tangs I get to stock now. And dive with. And hand feed. Its pretty neat. Pretty spares on the angel front in there though.
16,000 wow... guess you are not using a bucket for water changes....lol

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 12:38 PM   #4672
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPark View Post
Wow - the genicanthus hybrid is spectacular! What an amazing fish - thank you for sharing as always!
thank you...

Unread 07/22/2015, 12:41 PM   #4673
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
killer! nothing better than having to wear a wetsuit to clean your tank!

Unread 07/22/2015, 12:46 PM   #4674
humaguy
Premium Member

just took some lousy pics..

Unread 07/22/2015, 02:10 PM   #4675
myerst2
Registered Member

Beautiful. What's up with x hatch? Color seems weird?