Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2008, 09:18 AM   #726
mr pink floyd
Moved On

i never put one on an seio controller, but i dont see how it would be any different than any other AC pump. I know a guy who has been running a few MJ mods on an SEIO controller with no ill effects.

i would do it, but im happy with the way things are going now. so i would say its worth a try, but im not expert, i have no idea what would happen, but i wouldnt think there would be anything bad

mr pink floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2008, 09:47 AM   #727
atvdave
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Lambert
Why anyone would mod the best ph available and void the best warrenty in the business is beyond me............
You see, this is why Tunze rocks far above the others. IT DOSENT VOID THE WARRANTY!!!!

unlike many other PH's manufactures that could care less if your pump works or not.

atvdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2008, 09:02 PM   #728
glxtrix
Registered Member

there was a thread somewhere about someone doing something like that but it was chattering the pump....turns out he needed a line conditioner to get to a true 120V and things went smooth. I also heard someone had some and they burned out after 8mos...but I dont know the truth behind it. Just wondering if you guys knew of anyone. I did put one of my maxi mods on it and it did work. Hopefully they will work....I might not even use it, i have a wave box coming now. I'll still most likely get a pair of 6025's for the fun Thanks Mike for the help.

glxtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2008, 09:57 PM   #729
Craig Lambert
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by atvdave
You see, this is why Tunze rocks far above the others. IT DOSENT VOID THE WARRANTY!!!!

unlike many other PH's manufactures that could care less if your pump works or not.
[/QUOTE

I've owned tunze for a long time. I did not know that this doesn't void the warrenty. I can tell you though, that many other things will. If you don't believe me, go read their forum.

Current Tank Info: 75G Tank, 29G Sump, 100lbs LR, AquaC EV-180, Iwaki MD-20RT return Tunze nano streams 4X54 t-5/Icecap Ballast & SLR's 2x110 vho actinic
Craig Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2008, 10:36 PM   #730
atvdave
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Craig Lambert
Quote:
Originally posted by atvdave

[/QUOTE

I've owned tunze for a long time. I did not know that this doesn't void the warrenty. I can tell you though, that many other things will. If you don't believe me, go read their forum.
I have... Many, many, times.

Unread 01/14/2008, 08:49 PM   #731
chrismhaase
Registered Member

okay after reading through all 30 pages, I want to know if there are any finalized directions/pictures for the 6045 mod? I want to make sure it is done correctly.

Additionally, was the belief that the 6045 is just a few hundred gallons per hour less for $30 actually validated by Roger or someone who has some cold hard facts? I don't mean this to be a question that questions anyone's interpretation of statistics, but I am hoping atleast for my own sake that there is a definite difference between the 6025 and 6045 besides 200 GPH and $30.

Thanks, Chris

chrismhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 09:38 PM   #732
atvdave
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismhaase
okay after reading through all 30 pages, I want to know if there are any finalized directions/pictures for the 6045 mod? I want to make sure it is done correctly.
Just mod it the same way as the 6025. In fact if you haven't purchased the pump I would just get the 6025 if you plan to mod it. The good pics start on about page 8.

The modded 6025 & the modded 6045 pump very close to the same amount, so if your going to mod it just get the 6025 and save a little money.

Quote:
Additionally, was the belief that the 6045 is just a few hundred gallons per hour less for $30 actually validated by Roger or someone who has some cold hard facts? I don't mean this to be a question that questions anyone's interpretation of statistics, but I am hoping atleast for my own sake that there is a definite difference between the 6025 and 6045 besides 200 GPH and $30.

Thanks, Chris
Only the stock 6045 will pump more, the modded 6025 & 6045 pump very close to the same.

Unread 01/14/2008, 09:57 PM   #733
mr pink floyd
Moved On

Roger has said that the 6045 is basically the 6025, with a shorter inner tube.

so basically its the mod, just with some of the inner tube remaining.

Unread 01/16/2008, 12:07 AM   #734
KMP
Wag More; Bark Less

how about the KMP mod

we all contemplate different flow ideas. i had collected 2 6025s and OM Squirt 2 way and a Wavy Sea. only problem; no way was i going to be able to pump enough water for the OM and Wavy Sea. when i found out you can mount a MJ to the Wavy Sea i was happy, but didnt' like the look - so, this is what i ended up with:

OM Squirt on the return (to hit the back side of the aquascape):

And a 6025 mounted on a Wavy Sea. Simply used the MJ attachment and superglued it to the top of the 6025. I have a 70g Oceanic Tech tank so I've drilled two holes in the front corners. I will have a Wavy Sea 6025 in each corner sweeping to hit the front side of the aquascape):

KMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2008, 12:02 AM   #735
Justin74
Registered Member

Well after seeing this thread was kinda bummed at first because I own the 6045's. And seeing the flow results only fueld my own suspicions. But rather than sit and comiserate, I attemtped to vinidcate my choice, and my pumps seemingly checkered background

I sanded the exhaust pipe down approx. 1/8" because I didnt want to depend on the cap as a stopper, and also after reading the post how one shortened to the point where the velocity didnt carry through. I also with the dremel, extended the grills in the front of the shroud down to a 1/4" from the exhaust, but just every other grill and not all the way to the pipe to avoid weakening the structural integrity basically. I also made 2 parallel grooves on the bottom near the edge of the shroud. I didnt put any more grooves than the two becuase I was concerned about possible 'stray' exhaust flow so I didnt cut along the bottom of the pipe. Along with cutting the inner tube(nearly 1/2" at apex of curve) but didnt grind it totally flush and left a slight ridge where it once had been.

And um, WOW!! What a flippen difference! Before, I use to have slight hot spots you could say in terms of flow. Now it's pure surges and has transformed it from lagoonal to a reefcrest
Sweet find guys, and sweet thread. Thanks

-Justin

Justin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2008, 04:01 PM   #736
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Guys I know there have been many discussions on here about the 6025 and 6045 being very close in comparison and I without saying you are wrong maybe some info and design has been over looked. Check out this thread that talks about the difference and also talks about the conspiracy theory of the 6025 vs. 6045.

Look at my question--
I have been reading about modding the nanostreams on here. One thing I keep seeing is that people are accusing Tunze as falsely and incorrectly stating the flow of the 6025 vs. 6045. I know there are a lot of idiots out there so I figured I would ask your professional opinion. Here is a quote that started my question "
The fact remains as jacmyoung said earlier.

From day one, we stated that the 6025's flow outperformed the spec of 660GPH, and the 6045's flow performance grossly under performed the 1189 (1100 revised) GPH spec.

For those people that are not interested in modding pumps, the stock 6045 is only pumping ~200GPH more than the stock 6025.
THIS WAS THE ORIGINAL CLAIM AS OF A FEW MONTHS BACK, AND SADLY ENOUGH STILL HOLDS TRUE TODAY.
There are thousands of views of this thread and many hundreds of people own both models. NOT ONE HAS YET TO COME OUT AND DISPUTE jacmyoung's or my flow measurements on either pump.

As I have repeatedly said, the nanostream powerhead is the overall best powerhead in the market today, (based on form, fit, and function); But that doesn't negate the fact that the stock 6045 grossly underperforms the published flow spec even after it was revised to 1100gph.

My earlier $30 comment referred to the flow performance difference on the stock 6025 vs the stock 6045.

The Tunze spec never advertised modding activities, stopper reliability and cleaning frequency requirements to justify the $30 premium. All they said was, it looks the same and pumps 1189 vs 660. The other comments and "benefits" were made and /or "discovered" (if indeed they are true) by us the hobbyist community. So, it's now up to you, the educated consumer to decipher the true data from the marketing fluff.
Enjoy..."

Reference: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...5&pagenumber=25

And here is my answer:

Chris I received this from Roger.

"John,

The actual flow is 720 and 1100, this is true but it was not due to any deliberate attempt to deceive and I would simply ask the question of how accurate are most pump ratings, we are off by less than 10% which is within German legal requirements. Unfortunately some things change from prototype to final product and any flow calculation on a prop pump is a crude calculation as they don't have the pressure to work with flow meters and the only two methods you can use are dye dispersion or collecting the flow and trying to guestimate head losses (the method we used). That is a nearly 400gph difference and the guy that originally claimed 200gph difference (skydancer) did not take any head pressure into account, he put a pipe on the pump, pumped the water into a bag and calculated it out, the 6025 has a greater head pressure capacity so the flow will be more accurate, the 6045 is much lower pressure flow as the shorter internal tube greatly reduces pressure."
"The fact of the matter is that the mod will give virtually equal flow to a 6045 but it will usually result in more noise and a much longer time before rotation is corrected"
"Generally speaking the 6045 is more stoutly built with stronger tabs to lock on the front cover and more potting over the motor coil so there are differences in build quality outside just flow numbers. Yes, the 6025 and 6045 have the same motor coil and the same impeller, only the physical characteristics of the housing are changed."

Thread where 6025 vs 6045 is compared:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ight=6025+6045

Just thought I would pass on my research I have found, now you have to draw your own conclusions.

Chris

Unread 01/18/2008, 04:17 PM   #737
Justin74
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, the 6025 and 6045 have the same motor coil and the same impeller, only the physical characteristics of the housing are changed."
That pretty much sums up any speculation right there. Wouldve much rather saved myself 60$ seeing how I bought 2. Hindsight's always 20/20

-Justin

Unread 01/18/2008, 06:39 PM   #738
skydancer
Registered Member

Quote:

The fact remains as jacmyoung said earlier.

From day one, we stated that the 6025's flow outperformed the spec of 660GPH, and the 6045's flow performance grossly under performed the 1189 (1100 revised) GPH spec.

For those people that are not interested in modding pumps, the stock 6045 is only pumping ~200GPH more than the stock 6025.
THIS WAS THE ORIGINAL CLAIM AS OF A FEW MONTHS BACK, AND SADLY ENOUGH STILL HOLDS TRUE TODAY.
There are thousands of views of this thread and many hundreds of people own both models. NOT ONE HAS YET TO COME OUT AND DISPUTE jacmyoung's or my flow measurements on either pump.

As I have repeatedly said, the nanostream powerhead is the overall best powerhead in the market today, (based on form, fit, and function); But that doesn't negate the fact that the stock 6045 grossly underperforms the published flow spec even after it was revised to 1100gph.

My earlier $30 comment referred to the flow performance difference on the stock 6025 vs the stock 6045.

The Tunze spec never advertised modding activities, stopper reliability and cleaning frequency requirements to justify the $30 premium. All they said was, it looks the same and pumps 1189 vs 660. The other comments and "benefits" were made and /or "discovered" (if indeed they are true) by us the hobbyist community. So, it's now up to you, the educated consumer to decipher the true data from the marketing fluff.
Enjoy..."
For the record, this is what I said.

Current Tank Info: 300G reef, 800lb LR, APEX, Deltec AP702, LEDs, PF601, KM500, UV, RODI, Ozone, carbon, Biopellets
skydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2008, 07:16 PM   #739
skydancer
Registered Member

Quote:
"
That is a nearly 400gph difference and the guy that originally claimed 200gph difference (skydancer) did not take any head pressure into account, he put a pipe on the pump, pumped the water into a bag and calculated it out, the 6025 has a greater head pressure capacity so the flow will be more accurate, the 6045 is much lower pressure flow as the shorter internal tube greatly reduces pressure.
The statement above is FALSE. If you review the first few pages of this thread you'll see that I used the same method to test both pumps (6025 6045) and there was no pipe(s) involved. Just a plain 'ol home depot bucket. You're welcome to do the same test. It'll only cost you 5 bucks (the price of the bucket). The facts are the facts...

Or you can review the original thread when I first discovered the flow discrepancy.
The facts are the facts. The 6045 pumps about 920GPH (unmodded), not the advertised 1100.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1044334

FOR THE RECORD.
I have absolutely nothing against TUNZE. I think they are a very good company and put out excellent products for our hobby. When I first discovered the flow discrepancy, Roger rubbed me the wrong way since he suggested that I was there to defame Tunze. That's water under the bridge...

I was one of the first people to buy 3 6025s. I still own them and I'm very happy with them.
Since then, I have purchased 2 6055s and I'm planning to buy 2 more 6055s. In all honesty right now I have "strategically" placed 5 nanostreams (3 6025s, 2 6055s) in my 300G and you can hardly notice them. They're putting out about 7000GPH flow and you don't even know they are there.
Even when I put the additional 2 6055s and get up to 10000GPH you're still not going to know they are there.

IMO, the nanostream powerhead is the best one on the market today (form, fit, function).

Mark my words... in 5 years the 610X will look like the nanostream. There is so much potential in this design and we all like small powerheads in our show tanks. Don't we?

Current Tank Info: 300G reef, 800lb LR, APEX, Deltec AP702, LEDs, PF601, KM500, UV, RODI, Ozone, carbon, Biopellets
skydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2008, 04:08 PM   #740
johnyjo
Registered Member

nice mod

johnyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2008, 03:47 PM   #741
chrismhaase
Registered Member

Sky dancer, I never meant to start and issues or even to discredit what you said or research. What I did was ask my LFS guy and just copied and pasted info and sent it to him. In return he passed it to Roger and then what I posted is what Roget sent. The reason why I did this was I just bought the 6045 and was ****ed that there was such a little difference and was asking for clarification.

I never once said you disliked Tunze or questioned what you found but rather stated what I was sent. And I did copy and past as you can see in my reference, it even says on page 25.

All in all they are great pumps and I will continue to buy and support Tunze. I hope there are no hard feeling but rather open conversations.

Chris

Unread 01/20/2008, 06:37 PM   #742
Justin74
Registered Member

Quote:
..All in all they are great pumps and I will continue to buy and support Tunze.

Chris
I whole heartedly agree. Roger from Tunze sets the bar in customer service in my opinion, so much so making them a real hard act to follow with a wonderfull pump to boot. I dont see myself using another for quite some time. Especially after the tinkering

-Justin

Unread 02/16/2008, 10:32 PM   #743
SonyMan03
Registered Member

I just modded my 6025 today after cleaning it
I couldnt find my dremel so I fond a box cutter!!! I made clean cuts where they were supposed to be and I have to say I love the extra flow in my 29. I'm thinking of buying another to mod it instead of having 3mj1200's in the tank

SonyMan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2008, 10:32 PM   #744
SonyMan03
Registered Member

I even had to move it because of the flow

SonyMan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2008, 04:21 PM   #745
Malifluous
Registered Member

I did the wide flow moid and also cut out the inner tube. It is toomuch flow for my 70 . Im going to replace it with just a wide flow mod

Malifluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2008, 08:15 PM   #746
treylane
Super Scary!!

Well I just read all 30 pages of this stuff, and tried to condense it into something a little bit more... concise.

I know there's plenty more info that can (and probably should) be added, so feel free to do so:
http://www.sdmas.com/wiki/Tunze_6025_Mods

I'm gonna go actually chop up my shrouds now that I'm done reading. Wish me luck!

Unread 05/30/2008, 01:35 PM   #747
ROBZ
Premium Member

dang !!! great info i'm definitely going go for this mod!!!

subscribed

*October 2003 TOTM*

"Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder"...
ROBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 06:21 PM   #748
gordon2726
Registered Member

Great Mods guys! Thanks for sharing! So, there are 3 mods for 6025: Basic/Standard Mod, Wide Flow Mod & the Full Blast Mod. So which 6025 mod is the most popular and the most reliable? I am thinking about modding my 6025 tonight. Thanks!

Tank Spec: 83 gal Leemar 3 sides Starphire 36"x22"x24", 27 gal Sump, 2x250w Phoenix / 2x39w UVL Super Actinic T5 Maristar fixture, Sunlight Supply Bluewave7 Duel 250w Ballast, 3 x Tunze 6125, Bubble King 200 Mini Skimmer, Red Dragon 3.5 return pump, AC3 Controller (Temp, PH, ORP), 2xBRS Dosers (cal/alk), TLS reactor (carbon), JBJ ATO/Aqualifter, 8" duel style window fan.
gordon2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 06:25 PM   #749
mr pink floyd
Moved On

theyre all equally reliable. as for popularity, most people opt to do all three, but it really depends on your needs.

standard is the most popular. It increases the flow, and no other mods can be done without doing this

wide flow will make the flow wider, but not go as far. The pump still pumps more GPH but the velocity is less(water moves slower)

full blast makes the pump push all it can.

doing all 3 create a well balanced pump

Unread 06/16/2008, 07:02 PM   #750
atvdave
Premium Member

Just a note: This MOD also increases the out put of the 6045. In my test runs I could only get the stock 6045 to pump around 850 GPH, but after the MOD's my test runs went up to 1253 GPH.

However you can save yourself some money and get about the same flow with the 6025.

Here's some of my old post's

Quote:
Originally posted by atvdave
OK.. I couldn't wait till the week end so I did the test today.

I went by skydancer's specs and measured 3 gal of water out of the bucket keeping the water level even as it pumped it out.

The only thing I did different was, I ran my test in saltwater (1.025 sg, I had it handy for a water change), and i did 10 test runs throwing out the highest & lowest times.

I'm VERY disappointed in my findings.

The 6045 slandered flow average was 850.89 GPH.
The 6045 Modded flow average was 1165.67 GPH.

FWIW I think you should just get a 6025 (save $30) and do the mods listed in this thread. Looks like you will get the same flow rate.

I did not test the Wide flow mod as I want my stream to shoot 3 ft to the center of my tank.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK.. I couldn't leave enough alone. I went ahead and cut 3 slits in the bottom of the tube to see if it would help. It did a bit.

It had a average flow of 1253.99 GPH

Still nothing to jump through hoops about.