Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2015, 08:16 AM   #151
SoloGarth
Registered Member

So here is the thing when it comes to the app. Most programming would obviously be done via the web browser. However what if you want to make a quick change? I frequently use standby to turn off my circulation pumps if I need to work in the tank. And I use the current RKE iPhone app when traveling to get a quick look at important parameters. I can't believe that they would create this controller that is designed to be used without any display and not make a mobile app for it. It just seems like denial of current technology trends.

I am not saying that I would rather have just the app and no web page. I just think that there should be both and that if they want their system to compete in the market they shouldn't leave this out. Even my router has an app that is very useful.

SoloGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 09:38 AM   #152
n2585722
Registered Member

It is simple enough on the iPad to goto the Archon home screen in the browser and add the Archon home screen to the iPad home screen. It then shows like the reset of the apps. It opens in the Archon home screen when you click the icon and enter your user name and password for the Archon.

I don't see DA developing an app for the Archon. The whole idea behind it was to eliminate the need for an app when accessing it. I have accessed it with my phone, iPad and computer without any issues on either device. You don't even have to use your personal device to gain access to the Archon which you would if using an app.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 10:18 AM   #153
SoloGarth
Registered Member

The app would eliminate the need to enter username and password. It can alert you without the need for email. They are generally more stable than a mobile browser and load more quickly. They are easier to read due to mobile formatting.

All I am saying is that I at least would prefer to know that DA is going to be creating an app just like every other modern device before shelling out $400. Neptune systems, EcoTech, ReefAngel, Profilux all have an app. Thermostats, smoke detectors, door locks, light bulbs, routers and a ton of other web enabled devices have apps. Every modern device that is web connected has an app. They are designed to be used on a phone which we all have on hand. I do not see how the idea of the Archon eliminates this need at all. You do not NEED an app no. But it is more convenient and it is a standard option with any web connected gear.

Unread 03/15/2015, 10:47 AM   #154
n2585722
Registered Member

The Archon has Mobile formatting when viewed from a Mobile device. If fact is is different on a phone from the iPad and the iPad is different from the computer. It is aware of the device accessing it. I guess you don't have 5 pages of apps on your iPad. For one I am tired of having to add apps. I have way too many as it is. They all use memory up which is limited.

Unread 03/15/2015, 11:25 AM   #155
SoloGarth
Registered Member

Digital Aquatics Archon Owners Thread

No I don't have 5 pages of Apps. I just keep the useful ones on there. Tapatalk being one. It is far easier to use the tapatalk app on my phone than to use a browser. Same thing with my Nest devices and viewing data from the RKE. Same for books, music, photos, Amazon ect ect.

I guess I must be in the minority here as no one else has chimed in. I just feel that DA should be creating apps for the Archon just as every other company with similar equipment does. If users choose not to use it that is totally up to them. I just expect the full package when spending this amount of money. Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and, in this case want, it.

Unread 03/15/2015, 11:50 AM   #156
n2585722
Registered Member

I guess to each his own. I don't use tapatalk even though it is installed. I would rather see the website as it is. Again that is with my iPad which is the full size version. If there is enough interest in an app. They might do that down the road. Right now they probably have their hands full with the new modules that are coming out and the updates to the Archon.

There are plans for a lot of what you are asking. As for the leak sensors. Any of the ones with a contact output will work on a switch input. There has been discussions on their form about the ones that will connect with the system.

Unread 03/15/2015, 04:48 PM   #157
janes_mw
Registered Member

App would be a bonus for sure, but I really haven't been too upset that I just use my browser on the phone or pad or computer. It's really not a big deal for me but I can also see how folks would expect that "now days". For the most part, having used for a month or so now, I don't miss the control head, but again, I can also see folks missing the easy access of the standbys using the control panel for sure.

Be assured, you will find good and bad about every controller out there. I have had the other one and it is surely a very feature packed controller. I stuck with the RKE this time as I had the power blocks and other modules. Upgrading to the Archon seemed like a good fit. If I want to be purely subjective about it, I could easily find reasons to switch. Being objective although, I choose to want to grow with the controller. I have also thrown my share "of stones" at DA and Neptune over the years!.

Anyway, so far so good bringing my Archon on line. Biggest issue I had was not their issue after all (port forwarding). Your going to have pros and cons of every system out there, just depends on if your a ford or chevy lover in the long run

300G 96x24x30, BK250 Skimmer with Avast Swabbie, LED/T5, Geo CaRx with Masterflex effluent cntl, Zeovite User - Avast Marine Tumbler, Archon control, Vortech MP60,Tunze 6125, & Jebao RW20 making waves
janes_mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 10:22 PM   #158
SoloGarth
Registered Member

Yeah I am on the fence. I keep hoping to see the system go up for sale at BRS or marine depot. Or better yet some review videos on YouTube. I have a good amount of programming experience so the open source code is a huge plus for me although I haven't worked with Linux much.

Unread 03/15/2015, 10:51 PM   #159
itzonlithai
Registered Member

Apex Fusion is web based. I think it's just easier for devs to not have to program for two platforms (Android and apple) then worry about the hardware for each platform (processor, screen resolution, ram, etc...). I was disappointed when I found out I had to open Apex Fusion through the browser and not an app, but it's honestly been fine. The browser remembers my username/password and I always have a tab of it open so it doesn't take long to pull up.

itzonlithai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2015, 11:12 PM   #160
SoloGarth
Registered Member

There is an app for the apex. Is this different than fusion? My problem with browers on the phone is that tend to have like 20 pages open so it is less orderly than apps.

Unread 03/15/2015, 11:49 PM   #161
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Curious - I have an RKL and RKE (on separate tanks) - how does the programming of the Archon differ?

I'm one of the few that offered up suggestions for improvement on the old forum here when their developer asked for it.

Thanks.
The Archon is far more intuitive to program. It is a simple case of clicking on the gear icon and a screen with pertinent boxes to fill in is there to set the channel up. Everything is very simple to set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom698 View Post
So is the Archon giving you guys many problems since it's so new?

Would you recommend people to wait to get it or are they not having many problems with it.

Since a lot of the Archon modules are not out yet, are you just using the original modules? Also what's going to be the difference between the two modules?
I think after testing it for 4 months now, it is pretty solid. Some of us testers have pushed the limitations a bit and have found a few issues, but they have been addressed pretty quick. I feel it is very solid. All of the current modules are compatible with the Archon, except for the NET and the head units. That will change in the near future. The Archon specific modules will be basically the same, but I believe they will have slightly faster processors in them. Other than that, there isn't much to change.

Current Tank Info: 130g build in progress
DaveMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 12:25 PM   #162
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
The Archon is far more intuitive to program. It is a simple case of clicking on the gear icon and a screen with pertinent boxes to fill in is there to set the channel up. Everything is very simple to set up.

I think after testing it for 4 months now, it is pretty solid. Some of us testers have pushed the limitations a bit and have found a few issues, but they have been addressed pretty quick. I feel it is very solid. All of the current modules are compatible with the Archon, except for the NET and the head units. That will change in the near future. The Archon specific modules will be basically the same, but I believe they will have slightly faster processors in them. Other than that, there isn't much to change.
Just wanted to second this in a way.

First off, the programming isnt too far off what the RKE and RKL was with the MyReef application on the computer, but the browser is now the only way to change the programming for the common user, so we are now all on the same page with instructions and helping each other out.

The Browser based programming is solid, so is the system. I do want to point out to people though that DA seems to have opted to release the Archon when it reached the same level of features as the RKE. It is my understanding though that this is just the start and future upcoming updates to the software will bring in some of the added benefits of the Archon and really bring it to the next level.

In terms of a recommendation? Well, if you plan to be in the hobby a while and were thinking about an RKE, definitely go for the Archon. The Archon is up and coming, and will give you the same functionality for the time being as the RKE. If you have the RKE already, you may not see the added value just yet, so just start saving up and keep an eye open for what happens with the Archon in the coming months.

kenman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 12:45 PM   #163
n2585722
Registered Member

Ken, some may feel that the total access via the web is worth the upgrade. For me this is really big plus. The programming is no different if you are right in front of the tank or miles away. I think the interface is a lot more friendly than myReef is. I had to go back to the RKE for a couple of weeks during the beta test. I really missed having Archon during that time frame.

Unread 03/16/2015, 12:52 PM   #164
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
Ken, some may feel that the total access via the web is worth the upgrade. For me this is really big plus. The programming is no different if you are right in front of the tank or miles away. I think the interface is a lot more friendly than myReef is. I had to go back to the RKE for a couple of weeks during the beta test. I really missed having Archon during that time frame.
True, I am sorry if my words confused anyone. I merely meant that besides the very obvious items we have seen, the core functionality is virtually identical to that of the RKE. But, the Archon has way more potential. And I meant the MyReef comment in terms of the dialogs when programming a channel. The interface otherwise is quite different.

BTW, I have added notifications now for when my fan or heater go on. They will now send out tweets similar to the images about feeding time here: http://twitter.com/kensarchon. Hopefully those dont need to be sent too often, but hey, it's just a start. If anyone has any recommendations of what else to include, I can gladly give it a go. I will eventually share this integration with others, but not yet as I want to refine it.

Unread 03/16/2015, 01:06 PM   #165
tidus10
Registered Member

I wonder if i could get a job at DA as a customer service manager.. that company has to work on their Customer satisfaction.. it kills me to see such bad reviews about a company that has a good product and a good idea, just really bad word of mouth..

Current: 40B- Fish, Water, Rocks, Sand, Pumps, Heaters, Skimmer, Coral
93C build coming soon
tidus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2015, 09:24 PM   #166
SoloGarth
Registered Member

So what about speed. I have no problem with setting up the NET module and already have Ethernet run to the tank. My biggest problem with the web access is that it is amazingly slow and very unstable. Has the Archon interface fixed these problems? It will definitely be great to be able to modify alarms and name them from a computer. I never use myreef since the last module in the chain is in my garage.

Unread 03/17/2015, 01:27 AM   #167
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloGarth View Post
So what about speed. I have no problem with setting up the NET module and already have Ethernet run to the tank. My biggest problem with the web access is that it is amazingly slow and very unstable. Has the Archon interface fixed these problems? It will definitely be great to be able to modify alarms and name them from a computer. I never use myreef since the last module in the chain is in my garage.
The speed difference is night and day. The Archon updates and responds to programming almost instantly. You also do not need to worry about messing with the SID anymore. Even if you don't have a home network (can't even imagine that) you can still just hit the WiFi server on the Archon and you're good to go. If the Archon is connected to your network via either WiFi or hard wired, and you are connected to the internet, you will be automatically notified of any updates that become available.

While agree with Ken in regards to the functionality of the Archon having a lot of room to grow, one huge difference between the RKE system and the Archon is hardware based. The Archon has two PWM outputs, four switch inputs, four 0-10v control outputs, two ph/ORP switchable probe ports, and an iTemp port. The RKE has none of that without buying additional modules for it. There are also three bus ports instead of one. That's a lot of built in hardware standard on one unit. The Archon is definitely a huge upgrade from the RKE system.

Unread 03/17/2015, 07:27 AM   #168
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
The speed difference is night and day. The Archon updates and responds to programming almost instantly. You also do not need to worry about messing with the SID anymore. Even if you don't have a home network (can't even imagine that) you can still just hit the WiFi server on the Archon and you're good to go. If the Archon is connected to your network via either WiFi or hard wired, and you are connected to the internet, you will be automatically notified of any updates that become available.

While agree with Ken in regards to the functionality of the Archon having a lot of room to grow, one huge difference between the RKE system and the Archon is hardware based. The Archon has two PWM outputs, four switch inputs, four 0-10v control outputs, two ph/ORP switchable probe ports, and an iTemp port. The RKE has none of that without buying additional modules for it. There are also three bus ports instead of one. That's a lot of built in hardware standard on one unit. The Archon is definitely a huge upgrade from the RKE system.
The web interface is much much better. The NET Module is clunky for sure. It doesnt truly integrate into the RKE at all with its lack of being able to pull the actual channel names from the rest of the system. The Archon is only going to be limited by the internet connection you have. Also, I have talked to Eric about this, but the Archon will be receiving updates in the future to make the interface and programming even more responsive with some optimization of the calls back to the Archon.

The following numbers are rough estimates and are not fully documented. They reflect what I saw and the ratios are accurate, but I may be off in saying 600ms, it can easily be much less, It just makes the explanation and math easier)

To help some people understand, I have used firebug to time out some calls. When the Archon interface is told in the browser to change a channel from auto to on via a manual click, lets say it takes about 600ms for me to send the call to the archon, receive a blank return value, then to call the archon again for the status of that channel and then change the view of the interface on the page to reflect that information. I believe it can be sped up (and so does DA) by making the returned value from the first call have the status of the channel, making it a lot faster (by my estimates, near 300ms-400ms for me at least).

That's about all the underneath the hood I want to go into. All this is easy to see for yourself with a little bit of testing. I think this level of talk though should be reserved for somewhere else. Just know that they have things working now and they see the vision on how to reduce some of the delay, which by the NET standards is blazing fast as it is. You will probably not even notice these things on a computer, but these improvements will further aid in the mobile device area with making sure it never seems slow and the information you are viewing on the webpage is as up to date as possible (and accurate)

Last edited by kenman345; 03/17/2015 at 07:33 AM.
Unread 03/17/2015, 08:57 PM   #169
SoloGarth
Registered Member

Great thanks for the info. Increased speed and stability makes it worth it on its own.

Unread 03/18/2015, 01:35 PM   #170
DaveMorris
VP, SDMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloGarth View Post
Great thanks for the info. Increased speed and stability makes it worth it on its own.
And believe me it goes way farther than that. The potential is really there.

Unread 03/18/2015, 01:40 PM   #171
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
And believe me it goes way farther than that. The potential is really there.
Indeed it does. I was thinking about hooking up the USB cord to a UPS since people have created software for the APC units to interface with it. How many other controllers can do that?

Unread 03/18/2015, 11:44 PM   #172
SoloGarth
Registered Member

Yeah that's a good idea. I already run a bunch of equipment on a full sine wave 1000VA ups. I work for an industrial UPS company so had to hook the house up. I am looking forward to them ironing out the ups backup integration as I would like to be able to put the controller on the ups and designate which outlets remaining during an outage. Right now I just run the essentials to a power strip run from the UPS.

Unread 04/10/2015, 10:42 AM   #173
SoloGarth
Registered Member

So I went ahead and ordered a whole system from DA early Wednesday morning. I received the automatic order confirmation but nothing else. I have tried to call them for the last three days several times a day to both extensions. No one picks up the phone. No one has responded to my emails. They charged me immediately on Wednesday but haven't shipped out my order and I seemingly have no way of contacting them. Any ideas here?

Unread 04/10/2015, 10:46 AM   #174
kenman345
Registered Member

Be patient, I believe the person who ships out orders is sick or out. Should be back Monday.

Unread 04/10/2015, 11:14 AM   #175
SoloGarth
Registered Member

Is the whole office sick and out? I am patient but being ignored is too much for me. If someone from DA could have answered to tell me that I would understand. At this point I think I'll just cancel my order. I know you don't work for them. It's crazy that NO ONE there can respond. I know this has been covered before and don't want to beat a dead horse but come on DA. I was really hoping they were making changes in the customer service department. I don't want to order a new system from a company that I cannot reach in any way. Super frustrating since I have so much DA gear already though.