Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2018, 10:51 AM   #101
JonezNReef
Registered Member

It almost looks like you can work in that sump room LOL. Awesome job Wally...awesome job!!!

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 10:57 AM   #102
bif24701
Registered Member

Great job! Not just patience and fortitude. Keep it stable and clean and no doubt you will find the success you seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 06:44 PM   #103
Wally.B
Registered Member

Sump Room Reno (Step by Step Video Sequence) Anyone Interesting In Seeing?

So I put my 1080p WebCam overlooking the Sump room when I started the rebuild. Taking a photo after a button push, on each progress point.

Anyone want to see the Room Come together from Scratch to Finish, in a compressed video (10 days in 30 second). Easy to stitch together.

Maybe I'll even add some "Chicken Dance" music or something to make it more entertaining.

Perfectly understand if nobody cares for this kind of stuff.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 07:10 PM   #104
reefmutt
Registered Member

Definitely.
If it’s not time consuming..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2018, 07:55 PM   #105
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post

....gasp!!
Holy sh$t, Wally!!
That is absolutely fantastic!!!!
What an amazing job and transformation.
Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!
This. Your sump room is a work of art.

Unread 03/19/2018, 10:13 PM   #106
tenurepro
Registered Member

Sweet! Sweet sweet! It’s looking amazing!

Hey I thought of you yesterday W! I saw two beautiful black capped basslets in the wild in 98 ft of water underneath a coral overhang... I have the video to show you

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 12:58 AM   #107
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Definitely.
Certainly (Worth doing if someone will watch).
Won't take much time except the Camera rebooted a few times and lost it's time....So there are 3-4 sequences that I need to arrange in proper order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfish View Post
This. Your sump room is a work of art.
Thanks. Appreciate the compliment
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Sweet! Sweet sweet! It’s looking amazing!
Hey I thought of you yesterday W! I saw two beautiful black capped basslets in the wild in 98 ft of water underneath a coral overhang... I have the video to show you
Welcome back. Thanks for the nice words. You'll have to drop by eventually and see things in person.
Funny you should say Black Cap....I called BigShowFrags, and told them about getting me one.

Unread 03/20/2018, 01:09 AM   #108
Wally.B
Registered Member

NEW TANK (Kickstarted)....Filled up and Filtered with Circulation. [Burning in New T5 Bulbs]

Yep, staying up again, but this is pure pleasure now. Not Sweat and Slithers.

I first cleared out the Sister Sump Room working area. So can get working on TANK STUFF.....

Since I half filled up tank a while ago, it kind of built up a thin film of slime. I assume that's harmless.

So I filled up the tank (with more Salt Water mix), and Setup a Garbage Sump, to mix up the water, and filter out the slime , plus some dust particulates that got in from the Construction (running thru SOCKS and Some Carbon).

I cleaned glass, and siphoned off any bottom particles.

While working, I had the T5 (100%), since the Dimmable HEP BALLAST Specs say, they should be run at Full Power for about 100 hours, before dimming. 25 hours is reasonable.

TO HELP WITH Particulate FILTRATION I threw in all my Circulation Pumps (Gyre, CP40, and 2 Hydor Koralia)....

Injecting some air bubbles into Garbage can gave me a feel for overall Tank Circulation.

MATT, you were DEAD on and (Thanks) for suggesting I go with 24" depth
, and not the 18" I was going to do....

I can see with my GYRE at 100%, there is STRONG CIRCULATION, but distributed.

The GARABGE SUMP running was a great way to bring up Salinity to 1.025, since I just TURN OF TANK RETURN (Spinkles Salt into Can, and had a pump to mix it up). Then When Mixed, I let it flow thru tank.

Unread 03/20/2018, 02:22 AM   #109
Big E
Registered Member

Wow, that sump room is impressive. Great job Wally!

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 06:06 AM   #110
shih87
Registered Member

It is everyone’s dream to have a fish room like yours.

Share us more on tank stocks migration, please.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 12:55 PM   #111
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Wow, that sump room is impressive. Great job Wally!
THanks Ed. Some key aspects of this new tank setup were inspired by your knowledgeable input. (Height range of T5 Fixture, Tank Depth, and now your advice on rock scaping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
It is everyone’s dream to have a fish room like yours.

Share us more on tank stocks migration, please.
Thanks Shih. Many years ago I stumbled upon your beautiful, high tech tank setup, and that inspired me to do better.

SPS coral success, is still something I need to figure out, and I look up to your success (and folks like Ed, Matt) to do better this time.

Unread 03/20/2018, 01:03 PM   #112
Wally.B
Registered Member

SOME HANDS FREE HELP (Automation) Experiment [Amazon Echo DOT Voice control]

So I was fooling around in tank last night. Wish I had a 2nd pair of hands, for turning on pumps, etc (kids won't help).

Reaching for Apex Web page, or controller isn't ideal with wet hands. Or even more problem getting off stool, or both hands in tank...etc

So I have been thinking of adding some voice control for the Home Theatre Lighting in Rec Room next door. (future project).

I'm researching the best option (Echo, Google, and which hub, Zigbee, Lutron, WINK). But no time for full researching.

Then I found this and will give it a QUICK trial.

No HUB needed with these Wifi Plug switches.
So all I need is Echo DOT, and these modules to turn anything on off.
But I won't be using Module to control Tank. They will control ON/OFF switch to Apex. And Apex will turn on off things.

I can use them to (VOICE CONTROL my APEX)..... send a signal to APEX thru IO Input of Apex.
[Example..."Turn on RETURN PUMP", will turn on Switch Module, which will send ON to Apex, and turn Return pump ON]

Not sure how it will work, but simple to setup (I think).

I know nothing about this stuff....Will learn.....But "Alexa' will be my new Helper.

Last edited by Wally.B; 03/20/2018 at 01:11 PM.
Unread 03/20/2018, 02:46 PM   #113
Wally.B
Registered Member

NEW "SPS Species" Developed in (Neglected Frag Tank) PREPARING FOR Rock-Scape Build

I kept some of my worst (last life) frags in the Frag tank. (The Good Frags/Colonies were given to someone for Holding)
Did nothing for 3 months (during RENO), just sat there with Flow/Heater.

I plan on tearing apart the Frag Tank as a Pool/Container to build the Live Rock Scape Islands (Glue and Acrylic Rods).

Here is the New Species of SPS I guess I developed/discovered.

I call it the "ACROCORA-line" Looks nice.

It is growing better than some of my Past SPS attempts

Last edited by Wally.B; 03/20/2018 at 04:24 PM.
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:32 PM   #114
Rakie
In Memoriam

Looks great wally!

How do you like that blue LED bar you got? Guess you haven't tried it with corals yet though

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:45 PM   #115
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Looks great wally!

How do you like that blue LED bar you got? Guess you haven't tried it with corals yet though
Hard to say. Makes tanks very blue. I have to dim it or else overwhelming.
Same with the T5's, lots of blue. Thinking the 39W T5 might be better replacing the Purple Plus with a AquaBlue Special. SInce Coral Plus look a bit close to Purple plus.

At least I have flexibility with 5 T5's Dimmabe out of 7, and 1 Led Dimmable. (I can move around bulbs and try various combos)

But it's only cloudy water right now so hard to say.

Will know better when water clears up and rocks go in.
Will know Even better when fish and corals go in and Colors show up.

Unread 03/22/2018, 03:11 PM   #116
Wally.B
Registered Member

Time TO FIX my FINGER to continue inside tank (rocks)

Sitting in docs office anxiously waiting some minor surgery on finger that got a slitter or metal shard.
Thought it would fix itself but getting worse and painful.

Best to treat so I can work safely handling rocks and not get an infection.

Unread 03/22/2018, 03:27 PM   #117
Wally.B
Registered Member

Surgery is over with. Went quick. Wasn't fun.
But pressure is off and got tetanus shot while there.

Unread 03/22/2018, 04:12 PM   #118
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
The ole cut and squeeze huh? I've had that. Had a spider bite turn into an MRSA infection... Let me tell you, they sliced that sucker open and milked my leg like a rotten cow.

The worst part is the stinging fiery "pain reliever" shot they give, which amazingly hurts like all hell + burning..

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:13 PM   #119
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Good to hear!! You don’t want to wait for things to fix themselves when it comes to plumbing and aquarium infections.
I have a contractor friend who was demoing a kitchen. Got a knick on his thumb.. 24 hours later, they were removing half of it due to flesh eating disease.
Many years ago while unpacking a shipment of corals, I ended up with an extraordinarily painful finger.. thought it would go away on its own.. 24 hours later I was rushed to emergency by my GP with lymphangitis- red lines running to my shoulder from my swollen, painful finger..
minor surgery to remove ‘fluids’ and a couple antibiotic horse pills for two weeks..
There is nasty stuff lurking in damp, dark places!!!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 03/22/2018, 05:58 PM   #120
tenurepro
Registered Member

Ouch ... hope you feel better W

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 06:23 PM   #121
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to hear!! You don’t want to wait for things to fix themselves when it comes to plumbing and aquarium infections.
I have a contractor friend who was demoing a kitchen. Got a knick on his thumb.. 24 hours later, they were removing half of it due to flesh eating disease.
Many years ago while unpacking a shipment of corals, I ended up with an extraordinarily painful finger.. thought it would go away on its own.. 24 hours later I was rushed to emergency by my GP with lymphangitis- red lines running to my shoulder from my swollen, painful finger..
minor surgery to remove ‘fluids’ and a couple antibiotic horse pills for two weeks..
There is nasty stuff lurking in damp, dark places!!!
Yeah, I got like 50 tiny cuts/scapes over last 3 months of BUILD and nightly polysporin/Badage healed them all.
But I knew things were not good with this finger when I started feeling my hear beat pulses from the pressure.
Yes, I've become a bit more diligent with Rock and Coral handling since I've read some bad stories about PalyToxin from Paly's and Zoa's. (So do use my full length-To-Shoulder gloves) and have a box of surgical Gloves my dentist sell me to even clean the skimmer. It's become a habit.

RED lines is scary stuff. My mom always told me when I was a kid, if you see a red line going up your arm from a cut, you could be in serious trouble if it get's to your heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
The ole cut and squeeze huh? I've had that. Had a spider bite turn into an MRSA infection... Let me tell you, they sliced that sucker open and milked my leg like a rotten cow.

The worst part is the stinging fiery "pain reliever"
Ouch. Sounds awful.
Mine baby surgery wasn't that bad. Didn't look, but first scapel cut didn't get it out so I had to look.....Then it's wasn't that great. But 2nd cut got something out. Looked like metal slither.
I already feel better. Sensitive but better.
Got a Latex Finger COT at drug store to put over bandage to water proof it....Funny part is doctor said I should rinse the cut with SALT Water, and I told him about tank, I plan to...Eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Ouch ... hope you feel better W
Yes, better now.

Hard to Type on keyboard without Finger next to THumb......Won't put my hand into Live Tank till it heals......

SOOOOO....

Now more reason for ALEXA..... (Since I have a day or two to kill)

I also got a Samsung Internet HUB.

I alrady have a few Lutron Switches/Dimmers around House, A chamberlain Smart Garage door, and the switches I got on Amazon.

But they are all running DUMB,

With Alex/Samsung HUB I can make them all work SMART.

Always wanted a delay in my office, since if I turn off my office light, desk light, I stumble in darkness, to find Hallway Path, Door, and Stairs to First Floor.

This will allow me to setup a LIGHT out Delay....That I've always Wanted.

Unread 03/23/2018, 04:34 AM   #122
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Definitely.

SUMP ROOM BUILD VIDEO DONE.

Here you go Matt. Just for you. (I owe you for the Great Full Tank video you made for me).

One of the Worst Edit VIDEO HACKs I've ever done. Finger is still sore a bit so energy to hit keyboard/mouse is limited.

Hope Not TOO my public folks on You Tube don't find it since they will laugh at the quality. (I need to learn how to share video's privately)

At least it shows the work in stages (and the FEW KEY MOMENT time lapse camera snaps I pulled out)

Added some cool sound/music I found on YouTube (to help make the video bearable to watch)

I will redo a better video later when COMPLETE tank is done. (A complete-start-to-finish adding more [how-to]..... since I have camera photo's showing more than the web cam captures)

YOU TUBE VIDEO Link HERE

https://youtu.be/Nk-nwY4v0go

Unread 03/23/2018, 05:09 AM   #123
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice!
Looks fantastic inside and out!
I guess twiddling your thumbs while you recover is out..
I know you’ll find plenty to do!

Unread 03/23/2018, 05:27 AM   #124
Wally.B
Registered Member

Finger works good enough for a light tidy ups (Wearing rubber gloves for Finger protection).
Found my test kits (unpacking boxes/bins).

Time to do water tests on 65Gal Tank with Fish. (wonder what N&P will be after 3 months of neglect).

That will help me decide if I combine the tanks or swap (move fish over into empty tank with a few rocks)

Last two days, I'm bringing up Salinity to 1.025 (SLOWLY) on 65Gal, since it dropped to 1.022.
New tank is Dead on 1.025, so don't want to stress fish if I do a quick transfer.

Unread 03/23/2018, 01:01 PM   #125
Wally.B
Registered Member

Sea Swirl Return Installation TIME (to Get tank Running)

I had 3 Holes Drilled in Euro Trim Top to accommodate my Sea Swirl.

Originally it was 2 (Back-Middle) (Right-Corner)

Matt, you gave me the idea about having Circulation from Front to Back of tank (which is difficult to achieve Flow).
So I drilled the Extra 3rd Hole (Middle-Front) just for your idea. ($free)

It's not a bad option that I'll save for when I need it for SPS circulation. Looks worst since really close to your face, and head looks bigger, more pronounced.

For the Tank Startup I'm going Back-Right-Corner for few reasons:

-> Looks best from Front-viewing side (hidden).. Not too bad from Side view since at back.
-> 2nd best Choice for running hose on Top Tank (Sump Room Side).... (Still out of way)
-> Return Water Flow across Tank toward Overflow Drain.

Middle-Back is not bad for viewing, but terrible for access into Tank.

I'll leave enough Hose Slack to be able to change things later.

I also dug around my parts bins, and found the Various Lock-Line fitting I tried over the years.

So plenty of options for Flow adjustments.

Last edited by Wally.B; 03/23/2018 at 01:33 PM.