Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2019, 03:11 PM   #26
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Based on my experiences I would classify crispa as one of the most difficult anemones now, while I find the ones typically regarded as difficult (magnifica & gigantea) are only truly difficult at the beginning but once acclimated and free of infections they are quite hardy and predictable. On top of that, gigantea and magnifica react well to antibiotic treatment while I had so far no success in treating a crispa. Once they start spitting out their innards it's only a matter of time until they turn into a blob of slime.
Do you think BTA are classified as just easy still? So a BTA is or is not a good 'test' anemone? I want to see mine and my tank's ability to be able to keep a future harder to keep anemone happy. BTA is at the one week mark. Two weeks or so was longest any of my online anems made it.

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 10:57 PM   #27
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Based on my experiences I would classify crispa as one of the most difficult anemones now, while I find the ones typically regarded as difficult (magnifica & gigantea) are only truly difficult at the beginning but once acclimated and free of infections they are quite hardy and predictable. On top of that, gigantea and magnifica react well to antibiotic treatment while I had so far no success in treating a crispa. Once they start spitting out their innards it's only a matter of time until they turn into a blob of slime.
have you gotten any other acros or anemones from LA recently? If so, did they survive?

Unread 07/11/2019, 01:19 AM   #28
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
have you gotten any other acros or anemones from LA recently? If so, did they survive?
I got a bunch of acros and only one died from boring algae.
Further I got a gigantea and 2 plain green BTAs. The gigantea needed treatment and completely bleached, but the BTAs were solid and even survived a crispa turning into mush in their tank. That 29 gallon tank is one of the 3 sump/refugium/acclimatization tanks connected to my 100 gallon tank. It gets about 1/2 of the return flow from the main tank - which is quite a bit. As such these tanks have no powerheads inside.
For about a month they were crawling around and most of the time hiding somewhere in the rock pile, just once in a while sticking out their "heads" to catch some rays. But then they found their places and stayed put. The one that settled in the back I only see when I turn the return pump off, but the other closer to the front. That one sits at the entrance to the main cave and pretty much blocks that entrance for the first half to two thirds of the light period. When it has collected enough energy it just retracts into its little niche and stays out of sight until the next day.
So yes, I think that BTAs can be reasonably easy, but they can also be difficult. I think one of the key points for all anemones is where they came from and how they got treated on the way.
With BTAs I think one big mistake might be feeding them too much and too much at once. Those 2 BTAs I have in that tank only get what they catch when I feed the fish and Tubastrea corals.
The biggest danger for BTAs are powerhead pumps in the tank in which they often end up during their walkabouts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 09:39 PM   #29
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
I got a bunch of acros and only one died from boring algae.
Further I got a gigantea and 2 plain green BTAs. The gigantea needed treatment and completely bleached, but the BTAs were solid and even survived a crispa turning into mush in their tank. That 29 gallon tank is one of the 3 sump/refugium/acclimatization tanks connected to my 100 gallon tank. It gets about 1/2 of the return flow from the main tank - which is quite a bit. As such these tanks have no powerheads inside.
For about a month they were crawling around and most of the time hiding somewhere in the rock pile, just once in a while sticking out their "heads" to catch some rays. But then they found their places and stayed put. The one that settled in the back I only see when I turn the return pump off, but the other closer to the front. That one sits at the entrance to the main cave and pretty much blocks that entrance for the first half to two thirds of the light period. When it has collected enough energy it just retracts into its little niche and stays out of sight until the next day.
So yes, I think that BTAs can be reasonably easy, but they can also be difficult. I think one of the key points for all anemones is where they came from and how they got treated on the way.
With BTAs I think one big mistake might be feeding them too much and too much at once. Those 2 BTAs I have in that tank only get what they catch when I feed the fish and Tubastrea corals.
The biggest danger for BTAs are powerhead pumps in the tank in which they often end up during their walkabouts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
What is boring algae?
I would like to try a gigantea one day, but I can't with my fish population. My BTA is in low light , but is staying put. I think I'm very unlucky when it comes to online invert orders, though I also suspect my local UPS of mishandling. Though I dont know if the boxes being thrown around and turned over by ups, etc would necessarily cause almost every invert I get online lately to not survive, yet all three (not a large sample) of my local bought to do very well.
But I always like reading your experiences, so thank you for all your detail .
**My bubble has reject frozen mysis, which I tried after a week of it being in tank. My previous bubble ate anything. THis bubble wouldnt catch much if any fish food bits since it's very out of the way, so some direct feeding is necessary. What are they most likely to like to eat. I thought it would be the mysis.