Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2016, 04:38 AM   #1
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Copper band in reef tank

I realize the difficulties in keeping this fish, and I'm prepared to feed live if need be, but I was wondering how damaging a copper band was to clams? I don't have any clams right now in my reef tank, but plan on adding a few soon. I'd also like to add a copper band or two for aptasia control. No, I don't expect it to eliminate aptasia, simply control it. I do get it on occasion and I rather have natural predators for it. I've not had luck with peppermint shrimp (although they do love to eat my zoathids, torch and hammer (insert angry scream here) ) So I have written them off my list. I like the copper band fish, and it would be a nice addition, as long as they aren't prone to coral destruction like other butterflies. I know some people seem to do okay, others not, I'm more out to know what my odds are. (as I am sure it's not without some risk). Thanks

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 05:58 AM   #2
Fish4udog
Registered Member

mine eats aiptasias frozen brine & pe mysis a little finicky at 1st on the frozen now he devours it have zoas LPS & sps tank haven't seen him eat anything but the aiptasias &frozen

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Fish4udog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 06:11 AM   #3
alton
Registered Member

In twenty years I had one in four that was great for aptasia. The only other coral it went after was feather dusters. It was fine with clams also. It lived for 13 years before I lost him. The others I traded back to the store.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 08:32 AM   #4
lespaul339
Reefer

Mine ate my aiptasia at first but now he won't touch the stuff. He is spoiled with live black worms. He will also eat nori if it's soaked in selcon. I don't keep clams in my tank, but I do feed mine the occasional muscle from the grocery store and he eats it right up. So I personally wouldn't' keep expensive clams with mine. Mine has never bothered any of my corals. Great fish, with great personality. Mine is my favorite fish. He is so tame he will eat right out of my feeding baster. If I stick my hands in the tank he comes right up to them thinking he is going to get fed.

Current Tank Info: 60x24x24 150 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump.
lespaul339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2016, 02:14 PM   #5
snorvich
Team RC member

Some eat aiptasia, some do not. Some are reef safe, others are not.

Unread 11/29/2016, 02:39 PM   #6
ncaldwell
Registered Member

Never had a problem with mine eating any coral or clams. Only touches mysis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ncaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2016, 09:31 AM   #7
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

mine has never touched either of my clams, but it does love LPS, especially acans.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2016, 09:44 AM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Have kept this fish twice. Was generally well behaved with corals and clams (just don't entice a new specimen to eat by offering clams ), but found it easily bullied by more aggressive fish like tangs. Consider tankmates if contemplating one IME.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2016, 09:51 AM   #9
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Have kept this fish twice. Was generally well behaved with corals and clams (just don't entice a new specimen to eat by offering clams ), but found it easily bullied by more aggressive fish like tangs. Consider tankmates if contemplating one IME.
I only have a couple of anthias, a starry blenny, mandarin, clown, and two sea horses. It's a 180 gallon tank + 30 gallon sump.

I realize of course whether or not it eats aptasia will be a gamble. I'd rather do that than put chemicals in the tank, and I do not trust peppermint shrimp for anything. I'll test the fish out in my shallow reef first and watch it for bad behavior. In there it will have no where to hide and be much easier to catch.

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2016, 11:14 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
... The only other coral it went after was feather dusters...
Feather dusters are not corals, but worms and as such on the menu of CBB.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2016, 11:44 AM   #11
anbosu
Registered Member

Mine ate aiptasia and acans. I didn't have a clam at the time.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2016, 02:02 AM   #12
rachenbrazil
Registered Member

I have 4 clams in my 210g , 1 huge squamosa, 3 smallers crocea (2-3 inch) and none were touched by my cbb who eats frozen clams on the shell. I have the cbb for over 3 years, and no soft , mush or zoa being touch as well. I don't keep sps or lps in my tank.

Unread 12/07/2016, 05:35 AM   #13
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

Took me 4 tries to get a CBB to eat well enough to make it though QT.
She is still finicky and requires daily mysis, but is leaving the corals - mushrooms, nems, zoas, frogspawn - as well the aiptasia alone.
A wonderful, captivating fish.

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 06:44 AM   #14
lionfish300
Registered Member

I had one in my 180 eat pellets, nori just like a tang. Took care all of the aptasia. Did not bother corals. That was 4 years ago. I haven't able to get one eating in QT since to replace him/her

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 07:45 AM   #15
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish300 View Post
I had one in my 180 eat pellets, nori just like a tang. Took care all of the aptasia. Did not bother corals. That was 4 years ago. I haven't able to get one eating in QT since to replace him/her
That's where I'm at right now. Although it was eating at the lfs, I can't get it to eat in QT. Hopefully it settles in and starts eating. I did put some rock from my sump into the QT and it has been picking at it.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 03:18 PM   #16
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
That's where I'm at right now. Although it was eating at the lfs, I can't get it to eat in QT. Hopefully it settles in and starts eating. I did put some rock from my sump into the QT and it has been picking at it.
Hope she will start eating, what have you try to feed her? keep us update

Unread 03/19/2017, 06:09 PM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

Mine eliminate all the worms in the tank, especially medusa worms. All the aptiasia will be eaten in a few days. In fact I trying to raise aptasia in my QT system and macro algae. Every once in a while I bring a rock full of Aptasia and Caulerpa and put it into my DT. They will be clean in a few days.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 12:38 PM   #18
jd371
Registered Member

My CBB has started to eat, but not as enthusiastically as I hoped. I've tried chopped clams, Brine shrimp, Mysis and live Black worms. Really thought the live Black worms would do it because my other fish go crazy for them, but so far she goes for the Brine and Mysis shrimp. I soak the shrimp in Selcon and feed her twice a day. She doesn't go after them right away, but will wait until they settle on the bottom and pick them off there.
Thinking of adding another fish to the QT to maybe spur on her eating response if she sees another fish eating. Maybe a Banggai Cardinal.

Unread 03/20/2017, 02:17 PM   #19
ncaldwell
Registered Member

Mine wouldn't touch anything until I put in some blood worms, that was the ticket to getting him to understand frozen food was food

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ncaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 05:16 PM   #20
lb71fish
Registered Member

Cbb

I had a CBB that refused to eat any thing that floated in the water column. The CBB would spend all day searching for food in the rocks and crevices but never would eat any of other foods until I made a feeder for it. This consist of a 1/2 inch pvc pipe around 3 inches in length with caps on both ends. Drill and reem out 6 or 7 (1/4) inch holes. Add you favorite frozen foods and mine started feeding almost immediately. I'm convinced that this natural feeding approach for CBB's is just an instinct for them. Yes mine finally will eat food in the water column but it still prefers the feeder. If you look up U tube they have a couple of videos on it. Highly recommend the feeder for CBB's.

Larry

lb71fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 05:33 PM   #21
lionfish300
Registered Member

My two days in the QT haven't eat and he/she is a goner

Unread 03/20/2017, 05:58 PM   #22
Gweeds
Registered Member

My CBB was a little bugger to start with... refused to eat anything that wasn't live. Finally convinced it by taking a live mussel, smashing the shell a bit with a rolling pin and chucking it in... then progressed onto frozen mussel. Will now eat anything I Chuck in, even flake, but never from the water column.

Given their love for mussels and worms I wouldn't keep one with feather dusters or clams.

Out of interest, I also have a heniochus butterfly... it's demolished the few aptaisia I had. The CBB has never shown any interest in any anemone or coral.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Gweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 09:43 PM   #23
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

I have had my CBB for about 1 1/2 years. He eats anything I feed except nori. I have rock flower anemones, zoas, acans euphyllia, SPS, duncans and he's never bothered any of them. He has eliminated the few aiptasia I had as well as every single feather duster. I don't have a clam.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 11:08 AM   #24
jd371
Registered Member

Mine started to eat live black worms yesterday. I decided to try the black worms again and this time she was picking at them as they were wiggling and sinking to the bottom, once dead on the bottom of the tank she wouldn't touch them again until I turned the PH back on to give them some movement.
She also started to flash against the PVC so I started a round of Prazipro last night. I was concerned that the Prazi would suppress her appetite, but it didn't seem to phase her because she chowed down on the black worms this morning.

Unread 03/21/2017, 12:44 PM   #25
scooter31707
Registered Member

Mines ate aiptastia and once they were gone, he started feasting on LPS. Left SPS alone.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote