Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2010, 03:20 PM   #1
hernluis
Registered Member

goes anyone use a light suspension system?

Hello,
Does anyone use a light suspension system that can be adjusted in height to suit light levels? I have seen these yoyo things on ebay but im not sure how well they work. Plan for this type of system would be great.

thanks

hernluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 03:36 PM   #2
serpentman
part time superhero

Will this be contained in a canopy or is it for a pendant?

46g LPS/Softy Cube
300g FOWLR under construction - decommissioned
serpentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 04:26 PM   #3
justurmom
Registered Member

if it is without a canpoy, it'll work. such look at the tek light hanging fixtures. jsut use cable wires if anythign. good luck!

justurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 04:31 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

I have a winch powered one on my tank. Here are a couple pics.
This shows both lights.

This is the winch on the right side of the picture.

This is a view looking up from below the winch. You can see 4 cables that get bundled to the winch cable. Those cables are routed via pullies to the area above the lights and attach to each corner of the light rack.

This is a view from above the light rack looking at where the cables come through the wall from the winch.

This is a view from above the light rack looking at the other side of the rack.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Chiefsurfer
Registered Member

Even with a canopy, this will work. The problem is securing the pivoting points(pulleys) in something secure. If the canopy is REALLY heavy, I would suggest securing at 4 points to lighten the load per pulley. It's all about weight displacement. There should be 2x6's or larger, under the sheet-rock of your ceiling. If you get like a 4" lag-bolt through the sheet-rock and 3" deep in the 2x6, you should get about 75-100 lbs per bolt. Figuring that you have a canopy less than maybe 250lbs, it should be able to be done. Making it look good is a whole nother story.

Current Tank: 20 Gallon tall, 4-bulb t5 HO, Eshopps psk75H, ac-70 fuge. So far, green clown goby, striped goby, more gorillas than I wish I had, 5 SPS frags, 3 LPS Frags, 1 Softee, Turkey Wing Clam.

Plan for the future: 120 gallon 4ft glass tank.

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon tall Reef Tank
Chiefsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 04:36 PM   #6
tektite
I never finish anyth

I suspended mine using some of those yoyo hangers. I put the actual hangers in the crawlspace between floors so they aren't visible. With them I can raise/lower the light easily and it'll stay at whatever level I put it at.

The light:

The hangers above:

Unread 01/27/2010, 05:52 PM   #7
hernluis
Registered Member

yes the yoyo hangers. thats what i initially wanted to use. My pendant weighs about 25lbs how much does yours weigh tektite? where did you get the yoyo hangers?

thanks

hernluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 06:25 PM   #8
serpentman
part time superhero

46g LPS/Softy Cube
300g FOWLR under construction - decommissioned
serpentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 06:31 PM   #9
Crypsis
yes

I have the yo yo on one of my lumenbright pendants but I found something nicer for my other pendant.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...=mounthardware

These are adjustable and look much cleaner in a less cluttered sort of way. I like how tektight hid the yo yo though, that solves the main problem I had with them.

One other thing I didn't like was that the yoyo's used a synthetic string which I don't trust not to break down over time when subjected to all that bright light.

Current Tank Info: 180gal rimless peninsula build in progress.
Crypsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Untamed12
Registered Member

I'm quite proud of my build. It has worked perfectly for 3 years now.

Here's the plan. The cables are SS aircraft cable. The same stuff that comes with most lights. You can't see it in the plan, but the centre section holds the electric actuator. The actuator moves horizontally and the pulleys and cables translate that horizontal movement into vertical movement.

Here's the built frame, before going above the aquarium. There is an upper and lower frame. The upper frame holds the actuator and is fixed to the ceiling rails. The lower frame is suspended by cables from the upper frame and is pulled upward toward the upper frame by the actuator. This view is from the ceiling, so the lower frame is underneath the upper frame in this photo.

Here's the lights/frame hung above the aquarium. You can see that the upper frame is attached to ceiling tracks so not only do the lights lift straight up, the entire frame also rolls backward. In practice, I raise the lights all the time while working in the tank and roll the rack backwards only when I'm changing bulbs.

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Untamed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2010, 08:12 PM   #11
tektite
I never finish anyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernluis View Post
yes the yoyo hangers. thats what i initially wanted to use. My pendant weighs about 25lbs how much does yours weigh tektite? where did you get the yoyo hangers?

thanks
Mine weighs about 35 lbs. I used four of them. I bought them from a local person, but I think they're the same ones on ebay.

Unread 01/28/2010, 06:11 AM   #12
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Here's my new light lifter. Tank pictured is my old one. Variable heights, remote control.

More info on it here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1767159

Zeovit Featured Tank 2012
Reef Central TOTM Nov 2013
Reef Hobbyist Magazine Featured Tank 2015

Current Tank Info: 'A Reef in the Sky'
v1...rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 08:28 AM   #13
mcoomer
Rat Bastard!

I was just going to point out V1's tank and there he is. It's an Internet miracle! Sweet setup.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon mixed reef; Reeflo Barracuda, Tunze 6105 (X3), 250W Radiums with dual HQI Blue Wave 7, Reefkeeper Elite controller, custom sump with ASM G4, carbon and GFO reactors
mcoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Crypsis
yes

Untamed12, very nice setup! I might have to copy that. Are those the new Icecap lights?

Current Tank Info: 180gal rimless peninsula build in progress.
Crypsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 01:47 PM   #15
Malcolm_C
Registered Member

nice

Current Tank Info: 120 + Glass / fully automated.
Malcolm_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 01:52 PM   #16
Untamed12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypsis View Post
Untamed12, very nice setup! I might have to copy that. Are those the new Icecap lights?
No. Those are Aquamedic Oceanlight fixtures. Actuator came from firgelli automations in Seattle. http://www.firgelliauto.com

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Untamed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 03:09 PM   #17
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed12 View Post
I'm quite proud of my build. It has worked perfectly for 3 years now.

Here's the plan. The cables are SS aircraft cable. The same stuff that comes with most lights. You can't see it in the plan, but the centre section holds the electric actuator. The actuator moves horizontally and the pulleys and cables translate that horizontal movement into vertical movement.

Here's the built frame, before going above the aquarium. There is an upper and lower frame. The upper frame holds the actuator and is fixed to the ceiling rails. The lower frame is suspended by cables from the upper frame and is pulled upward toward the upper frame by the actuator. This view is from the ceiling, so the lower frame is underneath the upper frame in this photo.

Here's the lights/frame hung above the aquarium. You can see that the upper frame is attached to ceiling tracks so not only do the lights lift straight up, the entire frame also rolls backward. In practice, I raise the lights all the time while working in the tank and roll the rack backwards only when I'm changing bulbs.
Now thats a nice setup! Seeing those pictures makes me want to redo my light lift! Thanks for sharing! Did you build it yourself?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 11:11 AM   #18
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoomer View Post
I was just going to point out V1's tank and there he is. It's an Internet miracle! Sweet setup.
Geeezz.... thanks man.

Unread 01/29/2010, 11:53 AM   #19
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I used something similar. not as fancy as the others but works, adjustment is on spring loaded connectors on the pendant side.
the pendant is about 10 lbs and I just used toggle bolts directly into ceiling drywall (no studs).

Quote:
I have the yo yo on one of my lumenbright pendants but I found something nicer for my other pendant.

These are adjustable and look much cleaner in a less cluttered sort of way. I like how tektight hid the yo yo though, that solves the main problem I had with them.

One other thing I didn't like was that the yoyo's used a synthetic string which I don't trust not to break down over time when subjected to all that bright light.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 12:20 PM   #20
g8gxp
Registered Member

Quote:

crypsis, how is the one you linked adjustable? it doesn't offer any pics of the adjusting. my problem is i can't figure out how to lock the cable securely when you get to the height you want. I've been searching everywere but haven't found any kind of easy-to-use wirestop.

g8gxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 12:46 PM   #21
jroovers
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1...rotate View Post
Here's my new light lifter. Tank pictured is my old one. Variable heights, remote control.

More info on it here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1767159
v1...rotate, that lift is superb, simply suberb. Your build thread is equally awesome. You indicated that you got the hoist through your tank builder in HK? Did you ever find out if there is a comparable product in North America? I wish I had seen this prior to being in Hong Kong in August. Are you willing to give us an idea of how much the lift cost?

jroovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 07:57 PM   #22
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroovers View Post
v1...rotate, that lift is superb, simply suberb. Your build thread is equally awesome. You indicated that you got the hoist through your tank builder in HK? Did you ever find out if there is a comparable product in North America? I wish I had seen this prior to being in Hong Kong in August. Are you willing to give us an idea of how much the lift cost?
Thanks jroovers. I couldn't really find anything similar in the US market plus I would have the voltage problem. Not sure of the exact price as it was part of a package (winch, construction of light box, delivery & installation)

I can pass on the e-mail address for you to inquire directly if your interested.

Unread 01/29/2010, 08:42 PM   #23
buildinboats
Premium Member

buildinboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 08:29 AM   #24
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Anyone else have specs and drawings for their actuator run, adjustable light lift?

I’m planning to complete this now and I’m looking for ideas and others who have tackled this..... hopefully with pictures that show up, as Photobucket pics don’t work anymore.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 09:41 AM   #25
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
hopefully with pictures that show up, as Photobucket pics don’t work anymore.
A tip.. (I'm using Chrome browser but you just want to access the html code for each page through whatever browsers "developers tools"

Right click on any photobucket image, select "inspect" and add "~original" to the link in the html code then hit enter and it will show up again..

See attached image..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg originalhack.jpg (49.9 KB, 14 views)