Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Coffeeinbed
Registered Member

Hippo/Regal tang - diet quesiton -

Hi all,

Q) Should I feed a Hippo like a carnivore?

From Blue Zoo.

Quote:
Diet
Many aquarists purchase a blue tang based on an assumption that, like many of its tang cousins, it will consume problem algae in the aquarium. Sometimes as an adult it will consume algae to supplement it diet, but its staple diet consists of plankton and meaty foods. Feed frozen mysis shrimp, finely chopped raw shrimp, flake, pellet, and frozen preparations. The blue tank will also enjoy eating frozen preparations for herbivores and omnivores.
Thanks

Coffeeinbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 05:57 AM   #2
Pericyte
Registered Member

Omnivore. I feed my sheets of nori as well as mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze (I like cyclopeeze just because everyone in the tank gets some, anthias seem to love them). I would also soak the shrimp in selcon a couple times a week.

Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 07:39 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

This specific tang eats zooplankton in nature, along with some algae here and there. Mysis shrimp, small chunks of krill, and some nori would be a good staple.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 11:11 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

BlueZoo is correct, though as noted it will pretty much eat anything including nori.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 01:47 PM   #5
Coffeeinbed
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys..

Just finished my first TTM with this little hippo (rather than my usual Cupramine). I couldn't verify that he was eating anything but he seemed to be okay - not emaciated.

Tried all my "tricks" that entice other tangs to eat but it didn't work with this hippo.

Today I finally tried shredding a piece of shrimp from the freezer on a cheese grater - the small holes.

He devoured it....it's a start!!!!

Thanks again everybody.

Coffeeinbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 12:53 PM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

Also a good dry food like Ocean Nutrition and/or New Life Spectrum will be good too.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote