Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2017, 05:22 PM   #1
hilde123
Registered Member

What is this?

I recently relocated my tank to a new home. After doing so these green things have showed up everywhere? They almost look like featherdusters but certainly aren't. They seem to be spreading at a pretty rapid rate. Any idea what they are and how to get rid of them?

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1 (1).jpeg (101.8 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by hilde123; 10/17/2017 at 05:27 PM.
hilde123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 05:24 PM   #2
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Your image isn't showing up. Photobucket no longer allows image sharing on forums unless you pay for one of their premium services.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 05:28 PM   #3
hilde123
Registered Member

Yes, it's been awhile since I posted photos on the forum, is there a comparable service to photobucket that is free?

Unread 10/17/2017, 05:32 PM   #4
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

It's showing up now as the attachment. That's a calcerous algae, I've forgotten the name. I've had it before, but never as prolific as you seem to have it.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 10/17/2017, 05:42 PM   #5
hilde123
Registered Member

Any idea of what gets rid of it? Had a buddy who thought tangs would take care of it, put two in and they haven't touched it yet (only been a few days).

Unread 10/17/2017, 07:37 PM   #6
hilde123
Registered Member

Anyone have these and know of a reef safe predator?

Unread 10/17/2017, 10:35 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Looks like Codium algae and it is calcareous algae. I don’t think you will find fish that eat it. It’s actually not a bad algae to have though it will consume calcium. Best bet is to pick it out if you don’t want it. Raising alk may kill it too.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 04:48 AM   #8
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I never tried to remove it because I liked it, but I never had it as prolific as you seem to. 8 would just try to crush it with a siphon tube and suck the bits out during water changes. It's rare to find livestock that will touch calcerous algae. Maybe an urchin, but they will decimate your coralline too.

Unread 10/19/2017, 09:40 AM   #9
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Neomeris annulata.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 09:51 AM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
Neomeris annulata.
beat me..

It seems to really love stronger light towards the "red" side of the spectrum..
If you can reduce the amount of red spectrum in your light it will go away or get more controllable..
Which from the picture your lighting seems to have quite a bit of red spectrum..

Go more "blue" or really less "red" if you can..