Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2018, 10:01 PM   #1
pkstylez
Registered Member

Copepods start up

Ok guys starting my copepods planting could use some advice or tactics. I have a 120 reef with vipars. 20 gallon sump with skimmer and chaeto with it's own lights. Looking to start the stock up with 5280 pods. Any advice on process and do I absolutely need phyto with It?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pkstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 09:10 AM   #2
flawedexistence
Registered Member

I would vote yes on the Phyto. Got mine from Algae Barn along with the 5280 pods. BTW they include detail startup instructions.

flawedexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 12:22 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

To boost the population phyto will be needed. They need food. If your reef is established they may not need much extra feeding. If you can grow them in a separate tank, it would be better. You can then filter them out of the extra tank and add them to your sump. It will take about 2 weeks to get a large population. If you must use your main tank and sump..... Place them in the sump and add the phyto every day for a week. If you can, do not use your skimmer for the grow out period. Phyto feeding will cause a big increase in your nitrates and may cause you problems depending on your tank and livestock. A large water change or 2 will be needed if this happens. After a few weeks you will see tons of them.

"with vipars" Lights?

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 12:25 PM   #4
pkstylez
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
To boost the population phyto will be needed. They need food. If your reef is established they may not need much extra feeding. If you can grow them in a separate tank, it would be better. You can then filter them out of the extra tank and add them to your sump. It will take about 2 weeks to get a large population. If you must use your main tank and sump..... Place them in the sump and add the phyto every day for a week. If you can, do not use your skimmer for the grow out period. Phyto feeding will cause a big increase in your nitrates and may cause you problems depending on your tank and livestock. A large water change or 2 will be needed if this happens. After a few weeks you will see tons of them.

"with vipars" Lights?
Yes t300 viparspectrum lights.

Unread 03/16/2018, 10:11 PM   #5
Borntrippn
Registered Member

Just seed in a eatablished tank and they should flourish

Borntrippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 12:37 PM   #6
pkstylez
Registered Member

In my culture of pods do I need live rock for them to do well or is just the phyto and saltwater good enough?

Unread 03/17/2018, 01:17 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

With my tangs and wrasses I gave up on establishing a pod population and just add a bag every few weeks.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 05:02 PM   #8
tmccaffery
Registered Member

It could also use a small tank for just pods; I heard needle-wheel skimmers can kill pods not sure if that's true though. If you do have such a skimmer.

tmccaffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2018, 05:34 PM   #9
pkstylez
Registered Member

I just got my bottle of tisbe pods that I want to try but I don't see any movement is that normal?

Unread 03/18/2018, 06:05 AM   #10
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

I only saw a little movement when I got mine from algaebarn but about a month later (with regular phyto feeding) they are everywhere in my sump. The only issue I had with the phyto is my chaeto is now filled with feather dusters. Like an insane amount.

Hold the bag up to the light and there should be something in there. They are pretty small though

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote