Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2018, 06:05 PM   #1
earwicker7
Registered Member

Reasoning behind extending Cupramine treatment beyond manufacturer's recommendation?

Hey, all.

I bought a magnificent foxface from the LFS; while it looked fine, I noticed one of the fish in the tank had ich, so I am operating on the assumption that it also has been exposed... not a huge deal, as I assume every fish that isn't tank-bred has some health issues, which is why I quarantine all the fish I buy.

My normal QT procedure uses two weeks of Cupramine, and so far, no ich in the display tank. However, this is the first time I am positive the fish has been exposed, so I am curious about many people on the forum saying you need to use it for three weeks, or even four.

Is there a reason why this is recommended, when the manufacturer says two weeks is all that is necessary? Is it wiggle room for people who don't test the copper levels? I have no problem with keeping it in longer if it's really necessary, but I don't want to do it just because of internet wisdom

I let the foxface acclimate for three days before starting the Cupramine, and I am near the two week point... so far, no display of ich.

Thanks!

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 10:31 AM   #2
JustinM
Registered Member

2 weeks of cupramine is fine as long as the fish is moved to a sterile tank. If you are sure that your tank is ich free, you should be good. It is always wise to observe for a few weeks to make sure there are no bacterial infections and what not.

What I would do, add your fish to QT, treat for flukes and observe while treating for flukes. After the fluke treatment, treat with copper for 2 weeks(must be at therapeutic levels for 2 weeks), then add to the DT. Hope this helps

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 12:26 PM   #3
earwicker7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
2 weeks of cupramine is fine as long as the fish is moved to a sterile tank. If you are sure that your tank is ich free, you should be good. It is always wise to observe for a few weeks to make sure there are no bacterial infections and what not.

What I would do, add your fish to QT, treat for flukes and observe while treating for flukes. After the fluke treatment, treat with copper for 2 weeks(must be at therapeutic levels for 2 weeks), then add to the DT. Hope this helps
That is normally my exact QT protocol... I just did Cupramine first this time since I know it was exposed to ich at the fish store.

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 12:43 PM   #4
JustinM
Registered Member

The thing with doing cupramine first is the copper will not kill the tomites and once you remove copper, you risk them hatching and bringing the infection to your tank. I would just do the full treatment and add the prazipro with it. Just make sure to aerate the water extremely well.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote