Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2017, 10:15 PM   #1
lucky777
Registered Member

Trying to figure out aquaforest dosing??

First question is what are the calcium and mag ingredients in each of the mixes? Trying to use dosing calculator but not sure what types to choose.

http://aquaforest.eu/en/product/calcium/
http://aquaforest.eu/en/product/magnesium/

Second question might be dumb but I'll ask anyway.I cant figure out dosage amounts propely.

The mag says to Dissolve 10 g of the product and 50 g of Calcium Aquaforest in 1000 ml of deionized water. If i only want to raise mag I would assume i still mix 10 g in 1000 ml still.
But what I can't figure out is If I have a 200g system and I want to raise from from 1320 to 1330 how much of the mix should I add? So how much solution is needed to make that change?

I have the same question for the calcium if I want to raise the 200g system 10 ppm then how much solution do I need if I mixed 50g per 1000L?

It might be something simple I'm missing but I can't figure it out.

lucky777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 01:15 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Our test kits aren't accurate enough to measure a change from 1320 to 1330 ppm, and 1275 is the canonical ocean level, so I don't think I'd add any magnesium at this point.

At some point, the tank might need some magnesium, though. As you stated, you should dose the magnesium on its own if you want to change just the magnesium level. The instructions that you referenced are for making a 2-part with a bit of magnesium in it. I'd ignore them, actually. You can mix up to 8 cups to a gallon of water for the magnesium solution, I suspect. It might be a bit "slushy", but it should dissolve when it gets into the water. This article discusses how to make a supplement:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php#14

My best guess is that the product you have primarily is a mixture of epsom salts and magnesium chloride.

This calculator will help with a dose:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It requires a guess as to the actual volume of water, so I'd be cautious when first dosing.

Unread 10/12/2017, 02:22 PM   #3
Scarface8
Registered Member

I’m using aquaforest, that’s is the older way of dosing it, you can now dose cal alk and mag independently, I initially brought the pre mixed jugs, once they ran out, I got the diy products and now mix my own, here is a you tube link to the recipe I use, you will be using much more of the alk (kh buffer) solution than either of the other 2. https://youtu.be/urLrgWH-KMI , before you start dosing, do your water tests, wait 24hrs then test again, the differences will tell you how much your tank is consuming of each, that’s where you can start to work out your daily dosing, I ignored the fact that they say to dose all solutions equally, it doesn’t work out like that for me, I hope that helps out

Scarface8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 09:40 PM   #4
lucky777
Registered Member

The products in the post above show independent magnesium calcium and KH products. I am dosing each one independently. I have been checking my parameters daily and looking at the change over the course of a week. I want to figure out how much solution it takes so I can dose a daily.

The problem I'm having is to figure out how much of the independent Solutions to Dose daily with and also how much does a solution it takes to increase or decrease the parameters a certain PPM for my volume of water.

Unread 10/13/2017, 06:29 AM   #5
Scarface8
Registered Member

Mistake

Unread 10/13/2017, 08:19 AM   #6
lucky777
Registered Member

Mistake?

Unread 10/13/2017, 05:47 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

To make dosing easier, I'd suggest mixing up a two-part based on this article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

That way, you can test alkalinity and let guide the calcium dosage. Calcium tests have enough noise in them that tuning a dose based on their results is fairly difficult. The calcium that you have should be close enough to 100% calcium chloride that you can make the 2-part directly. For the alkalinity, you could use baking soda for the time being, and work on determining what's in the Aqua Forest product when you have more time.

The magnesium numbers you give are effectively identical, so there's no dose needed at this point.

Unread 10/14/2017, 10:59 AM   #8
Yellow_donkey
Registered Member

I have been using Aquaforest 3+ (2-part) for about a year now. I like it alot, plus it really keeps me solid and steady with no large sweeping changes up or down that I have sen.

I don't think it is a traditional 2-part as all three work together but slight differently, I may be wrong. As for doing, I went exactly with what was on the bottles.

50 ML per 27 gallons. I read as well before I started doing and alot of folks said that was way to much and start with half of that but I went ahead and did what the bottle said.

After a bit of time I could see that I was infact well on the high side, above the high end on an LPS tank with 3 or 4 SPS pieces.

At my system gallons I should be doing 155 mL a day. I am now at 72 mL a day and just got my first ICP-OES back which has me at:

CA 445
KH 12.10
MG 14.25

So even working my way down to half does I am still at the high end and should take a tad more off but I am staying where I am now.

So just like what I read from everyone else. You can start with the bottle directions but it will shoot you high unless you are super SPS heavy, otherwise start at 1/2 does and that should lend you trendy right in the range.

Unread 10/14/2017, 04:48 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

It's a two-part plus a magnesium supplement.

Unread 10/15/2017, 04:06 AM   #10
Scarface8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
It's a two-part plus a magnesium supplement.

Yeah, the mag is already in either calcium, but if you do the diy mix (using their products) their newest mixing video has mag seperate now, so that allows for individual tweaking of levels, in that above post with the icp test, he says he has a kh of 12ish, they recommend 7ish, I wouldn’t strictly go off what the bottles say, I’m using around 3-4 times the kh solution compared to cal and mag