Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2010, 08:53 PM   #26
prop-frags
SPS Slave

The stand got delivered today. Most of it was actually built at the cabinet shop (stand, left & right end cabinets, canopy, and skin for the stand). It was assembled on-site, since we've got 12' of total length (including the end cabinets), and about 40" of width. The finished product is really nice - I have to say it exceeded our expectations. We had given some fairly explicit design instructions on what we wanted, and the color of the finish. Some of the other nice surprises were designed in by the cabinet maker. He's a real pro.

Here's some shots of the delivery and install process:

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 04:44 AM.
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2010, 09:09 PM   #27
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Continuing the stand pics. We really like the drawers and such in the side cabinets. They turned out very nice. You'll also notice how we designed the canopy. It's got access doors on three sides, as well as a flip-front, with the slide-out rail-mounted light rack. The builder put in a wood mounting plate for now - I'm assessing if that will stay, or we'll replace that with aluminum rails.

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 04:45 AM.
Unread 01/23/2010, 11:01 AM   #28
prop-frags
SPS Slave

It's the weekend - this week has been at work, so not much progress this week other than the stand getting installed.

As far as the tank goes, the LFS has it and will be drilling this weekend hopefully. We wound up with the CL design pretty much as drawn up. For the overflows, we decided to drill an additional 0.75" hole in each for the returns, so we can plumb everything up through the bottom and the tank can be essentially flush to the back wall.

A couple of questions though - how best to plumb the manifolds for the returns and CL? I like the idea of the OM4 for the CL, but most likely will add that later.

Also, what do you guys think about background for the the tank... Blue? Black? Vinyl? Paint?

We've also been thinking a lot about the rock and 'scaping. We plan to reuse some of what was in the 180, and add some new stuff. We had quite a bit of dry rock sitting in storage which is being "revived" in a vat in the garage.

Here's the dry rock we had in storage cooking:

We also got some of the dry rock from BRS (sorry about the bad pic):

A box of live rock from Dr. Mac looked nice when it came in:

And we also tried a couple of boxes from Sea Life Inc:

All of this has been cooking in the vat for about a month, letting the flavors get all nice and co-mingled. We figured by letting the live rock mix with the dry rock, we'd have some speedy and better revival.

Lastly, we picked up some fiberglass rods for our scaping... but more on that later.

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 04:46 AM.
Unread 01/23/2010, 11:50 AM   #29
cayenne
Premium Member

Mike you will love this tank. Joe delivered ours last year, and we got everything swapped over on July 4th.

If you want any further ideas, check out where I documented our build. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1613139) Might give you an idea or two. I wish I would have modified my overflows further, I am not very happy with them. I think that is my only complaint with the tank.

Current Tank Info: 300G, Bubble King SMII, Tunze 6101's, 250W MH's, Teco SeaChill Chiller, ACIII, MRC CR6 Calcium Reactor, 120 Watt Aqua UV
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2010, 09:59 PM   #30
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Thanks for sharing the link. Your setup looks great.
Are you using both holes in each overflow for drains? You should check out Steve's Overflow Mod, and I know you've seen Jeff's overflow mods. Did you mod your overflows? I didn't see anything about it in your build thread...

Unread 01/24/2010, 01:18 AM   #31
cobra77
Registered Member

tagging along,,,nice build

cobra77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 02:52 PM   #32
marekt
Registered Member

I would go with black background,paint

marekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2010, 07:42 PM   #33
prop-frags
SPS Slave

How about a little update...
It's cramped in the 125 holding system. We've had three casualties so far: the leatherjacket file fish, a peppermint shrimp, (both went over the overflow before I put screens over them), and our coris wrasse jumped out the first night before I got the gutter guard put up across the back of the canopy.

Still no word on the tank getting delivered. We've got a call into the LFS to see about a date. We are hoping that perhaps this week we can have glass and can start on 'scaping and plumbing for drains and CL.

We decided to go ahead and upgrade the drain line from the display room down to the sump to a full 2" line. We ordered the 2" spa flex and should have it this week. We will use the spa flex under the tank and through the wall, and then hard pvc down to the sump in the garage. We did some of the plumbing for that last night. Here's the "swoop" Y with reducers and the 1" gate valve that will feed the skimmer getting a dry fit for placement and sizing (the rubber bands holding up the drain pipe is a dead give-away

On another plumbing note, we did go ahead and place an order for an OM4-way (version 3) for the CL. After reading up quite a bit, most of you guys seem to think they are worth the $$ and that the reliability is acceptable. Question for you guys about the CL and OM4...looking at this layout, how would you plumb in the outlets? The OM4 version three opens up an alternating pair of outlets. I was thinking to do it like this:

And the OM4 would pulse 1-3 then 2/4. Look right? Got a better idea?

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 04:47 AM.
Unread 01/26/2010, 08:54 PM   #34
sbleile
Registered Member

very nice

Current Tank Info: 335 gallon DT/ ~700 gallon TWV FOWLR/small Reef
sbleile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 06:17 AM   #35
prop-frags
SPS Slave

The OM4-way came in yesterday. Seems like such a simple device (why didn't I think of that!) so hopefully it will be trouble-free and quiet.

The tank is supposed to be delivered tonight, just ahead of a winter weather system that is predicted to bring up to a foot of snow our way. Getting snowed in this weekend to work on our new tank doesn't sound so bad (as long as we have all the plumbing parts we'll need and zip ties and epoxy for the 'scaping)!

I need some recommendations from you guys on some sand. I was hoping for a really course grade for our SSB. Something almost like crushed coral or something like that. Anyone know of a good source?

Unread 01/29/2010, 01:31 PM   #36
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Nice build Mike!

Look into Tropic Eden reef flakes (the largest size). Tropic Eden is by the the CLEANEST substrate I've ever used, and I really like the size. Definitely not CC size (smaller), but larger than most sand.

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 01:48 PM   #37
Untamed12
Registered Member

I'll tell you the way that I plumbed the OM4way...and the logic behind doing it as I did.

Using your planned outlet holes, I would fire #1 and #2 together...directing these to push water mostly across the bottom, toward the front. (roughly how you have them aimed now...but primarily shooting water forward, not upward)

Then, outlets #3 and #4 push water mostly upward, and backward. (Preferably, these outlets would be located more toward the front of the tank, but not a big deal)

The idea behind this arrangement is to create a "rolling" of the water across the bottom...back to front, then up from the front...across the top and out the overflow boxes.

Current Tank Info: 400gal Envision Acrylic reef started 04/07
Untamed12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 09:20 PM   #38
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Great cabinet work Mike!!!!
You will like the OM-4 But be sure you put the intake for it up off the bottom far enough that sand cannot get in. I like the black PVC mesh screen pipe from Aquatic Eco Systems. You can put black ABS pipe and cap on it, and it blends in really well. Especially if your tank back is black.
You also may want to experiment with different drums. I think Paul makes 4 different configurations.
T

Current Tank Info: 700 gallon combined reef/frag systems - 650gal Cichlid system
teesquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 10:03 PM   #39
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
Nice build Mike!

Look into Tropic Eden reef flakes (the largest size). Tropic Eden is by the the CLEANEST substrate I've ever used, and I really like the size. Definitely not CC size (smaller), but larger than most sand.
Thanks a lot - appreciate the kind words. I like the look of the reef flakes. Premium Aquatics are out of stock right now. I'll check back with them - I like Jason - they've always been very good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed12 View Post
I'll tell you the way that I plumbed the OM4way...and the logic behind doing it as I did. The idea behind this arrangement is to create a "rolling" of the water across the bottom...back to front, then up from the front...across the top and out the overflow boxes.
Thanks Untamed. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Check this thread out, lot's of great input provided there (esp starting around post 28...) about the kinds of flow patterns you are talking about! Really appreciate your tip about the OM4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teesquare View Post
Great cabinet work Mike!!!!
You will like the OM-4 But be sure you put the intake for it up off the bottom far enough that sand cannot get in. I like the black PVC mesh screen pipe from Aquatic Eco Systems. You can put black ABS pipe and cap on it, and it blends in really well. Especially if your tank back is black.
You also may want to experiment with different drums. I think Paul makes 4 different configurations.
T
Thanks T! We love the cabinetry. Terry's been trying to accessorize already I hear ya about the CL intake. Is this what you are talking about?

Unread 01/29/2010, 10:09 PM   #40
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Yep - that is the stuff. It is light - and even a little flimsy feeling, - but does the job pretty well. I attached it to the ABS with black silicone.
T

Current Tank Info: 700 gallon combined reef/frag systems - 650gal Cichlid system
Unread 01/30/2010, 01:04 AM   #41
Untamed12
Registered Member

I use the 2" version of these on my Dart powered CLs. The create No dangerous suction whatsoever.

I put a threaded bh into the tank and used a threaded nipple on the strainer. That way, changing out the strainer to clean it is as easy as unscrewing one and screwing the clean one in place.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...ickid=redirect

Unread 01/30/2010, 06:46 AM   #42
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

untamed - good idea! I use the 2'' plumbing on intake and on discharge as well, all the way to the OM-4.
But on intake - I use the screen pipe mentioned above because it has smaller holes, and many of them. I use approx 12'' of screen pipe for the intake for each CL. Works great. Makes sure that no sand gets thru to the OM's

T

Unread 01/31/2010, 11:37 AM   #43
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Another question for you guys.
For the bottom drilled holes, I'd like to use the right bulkheads that give me lowest risk of failure and that peace of mind. I definitely do not want to skimp on these. I was looking at the selection at USP, but don't know what to pick. Any suggestions from you guys with glass bottom big tanks?

Unread 01/31/2010, 11:54 AM   #44
cayenne
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop-frags View Post
Thanks for sharing the link. Your setup looks great.
Are you using both holes in each overflow for drains? You should check out Steve's Overflow Mod, and I know you've seen Jeff's overflow mods. Did you mod your overflows? I didn't see anything about it in your build thread...
Failed to put it in my thread but I did the same thing that Jeff did on the teeth.

Quote:
For the bottom drilled holes, I'd like to use the right bulkheads that give me lowest risk of failure and that peace of mind. I definitely do not want to skimp on these. I was looking at the selection at USP, but don't know what to pick. Any suggestions from you guys with glass bottom big tanks?
I used the ones from Savko, matter of fact the majority of my plumbing came from Savko, they are great guys to work with

Current Tank Info: 300G, Bubble King SMII, Tunze 6101's, 250W MH's, Teco SeaChill Chiller, ACIII, MRC CR6 Calcium Reactor, 120 Watt Aqua UV
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2010, 12:00 PM   #45
Untamed12
Registered Member

Quote:
They Haywards.. These ones:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...2722&catid=477

When I installed mine, I had my wife stand inside the tank and stand on top of the BH. I then hand tightened from below. I don't know if I would recommend this with a glass tank.

Unread 01/31/2010, 05:27 PM   #46
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the haywards, along with a couple of the 2" strainers.

I spent some time last night and this morning drawing up a plan for the plumbing of my drains. In each overflow, I will use both 1" bulkheads for drains. One will be a "herbie" style full siphon, and the other will be a durso emergency drain. I plan to adapt each line to 1.5" and then merge them into a 2" wye on each side, then bring each side together into the 2" main drain going down to the remote sump.

I laid out the parts and it looks like this:

How's this look? Anyone see any problems or concerns with this?

Last edited by Dino; 04/20/2013 at 04:48 AM.
Unread 01/31/2010, 05:43 PM   #47
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

I would feel safer if you separated them.....
Look at it like this: by wyeing everything together - you now only have the water carrying capacity of ONE pipe. And that may work fine - if you are using a small pump, and have no issues witht eh plumbing otherwise. But it does not leave you any options for the future. What if you want more flow via the main drains?
Additionally - you may interfere with the Herbie drain by wyeing all together.
T

Unread 02/01/2010, 06:22 PM   #48
prop-frags
SPS Slave

T, Thanks for the input.
I've been reading BeanAnimal failsafe overflow thread the past couple of weeks trying to understand all this well enough. I think you're spot on that merging the dursos with the herbies into the same main drain will create issues and basically disrupt the desired function. I was really trying to avoid having multiple 17' runs down to the sump room, but it seems like the right thing to do.

On another note, the flexible PVC order came in today. I'm really pleased with this stuff from Kanaflex! It's much more flexible than the Spa Flex we've been getting from Lowes, and the specs all check out fine on their website.

We'll spend some time tonight re-working the plan to incorporate separate drains for the dursos and the herbies. I will probably re-use the 1.5" line for the dursos and use the new 2" line for the herbies. Sound good?

Unread 02/01/2010, 06:33 PM   #49
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Glad I could help a bit Mike!
Hey tell us about the Kanaflex...? Looks like flex PVC....thinner wall? made of PVC? Fit standard PVC fittings and glue up the same? And - price....?
Thanks,
T

Unread 02/01/2010, 08:44 PM   #50
prop-frags
SPS Slave

The wall thickness is the same. It's made of PVC, and in all other respects seems to be the same. I got the 2" for $2.99 per foot with free shipping. I need to glue up a couple of test fittings and see how it goes....