Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/02/2017, 04:16 PM   #1
650-IS350
Registered Member

Hello Z's and P's keepers

Haven't been on in a long long time.

Haven't been active in the reefkeeping forums. Just wanted to say hello and see if the old folks are still around and kicking?

Just enjoying the box of water from afar
650-IS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2017, 10:09 PM   #2
kichimark
Μολὼν λαβέ

How's it going Charles? I just happened to take a stroll in the forum again. Lots of new names. How's the reef?

kichimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2017, 04:26 PM   #3
650-IS350
Registered Member

Hello Mark,

Long time no talk. It's there, I don't touch it or mess with it as much like I used to before. Not as active on the reefing front or forums much. Just really busy with work and real life.

Right now I'm just letting the tank run on its own, at times I can say I have neglected it but husbandry of bi-weekly changes are still being made. I don't scan the forums anymore of what news things are popping up, what new fad or hype is around now. I haven't been to fish shops as much. I only go when I don't have time to make my own saltwater. Recently been to a fish shop twice in a month as I had a friend and an uncle who were thinking of getting a tank and into ReefKeeping, so I brought them to one LFS, showed them around compared differences to Fresh vs Salt, what type of equipment is needed, the differences in animals. I also introduced them to the owner of LFS as well.

That's pretty much been my reefkeeping life. How about yours? Do you still see any of the old timers?

I've started back up with my reptiles and Car Hobby and may also return to fishing as well.

Unread 06/16/2017, 06:02 PM   #4
activecactus
Registered Member

You got to hit up some frag swaps to get bit by the bug again.

I went to my first one this year and it was a blast.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef
activecactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2017, 11:30 AM   #5
650-IS350
Registered Member

I haven't gone to a frag swap in year(S). I'm more in the chillen mode now.

Unread 06/24/2017, 09:32 AM   #6
kichimark
Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650-IS350 View Post
Hello Mark,

Long time no talk. It's there, I don't touch it or mess with it as much like I used to before. Not as active on the reefing front or forums much. Just really busy with work and real life.

Right now I'm just letting the tank run on its own, at times I can say I have neglected it but husbandry of bi-weekly changes are still being made. I don't scan the forums anymore of what news things are popping up, what new fad or hype is around now. I haven't been to fish shops as much. I only go when I don't have time to make my own saltwater. Recently been to a fish shop twice in a month as I had a friend and an uncle who were thinking of getting a tank and into ReefKeeping, so I brought them to one LFS, showed them around compared differences to Fresh vs Salt, what type of equipment is needed, the differences in animals. I also introduced them to the owner of LFS as well.

That's pretty much been my reefkeeping life. How about yours? Do you still see any of the old timers?

I've started back up with my reptiles and Car Hobby and may also return to fishing as well.
Your reefing life sounds like mine right about now haha. I took down my 100g artesian when I sold my house recently and moved to a nicer area for the family. I just started a 13.5G Fluval Evo and seeding it with some old school zoas/paly's (fruit loops, pink zippers, UC, Blondies, hornets, etc). It is in its first week but the frags are open and full so I am good.

I don't go on the forums much anymore or the stores besides the one that sell live feeders for my reptiles. Got a few indigos and boas in my classroom along with a couple bearded dragons and cresteds. I didn't know you were into reptiles, what kind do you have?

I don't see anyone from years past still on here anymore. Many of them on my friends list have not logged on in more than a year . It would be cool to see how everyones experiences has evolved.

This was my tank before i sold it off. I am starting to see the big time hyping/naming trends of the anemones like what happened to the zoas/acans of years past. It actually saddens me now but it is what it is. I would post a pic of my EVO tank but it is not filled in yet with new growth since it is so new and the light colored rocks (no coraline) makes it real bright haha.

Unread 07/13/2017, 03:43 PM   #7
650-IS350
Registered Member

Hey Mark,

I don't see pick, must be broken link...

I currently have a 16" plus Female Citrus Tiger Bearded Dragon. I did have a male (monster) German Giant Citrus which I had to return. It was supper aggressive with her and literally tried to kill her. Lasted only 2 days in the same cage with her after than put a separator in between until I returned it to the store on the weekend.

I guess it mated with the female during that 2 days as she laid infertile eggs after 2 months or so.

Planning to get a Snow White Male later on to mate it with. And maybe be a breeder part time.

Here's the male I want to get later on.

My wife and I attended the last reptile convention in the eastbay (never went to one) loved it and sparked my want for reptiles. Wifey actually wants Crested Geckos or Chamelleons instead of fish. No issues to deal with water, making salt water and the expense. I was growing my own Dubia to feed them and they also eat salad so expense much less.

Thinking about selling off my tank and collections (Whats left) to fund my new hobby.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170527_205848_1495943993830_resized.jpg (46.2 KB, 8 views)

Unread 07/19/2017, 01:42 AM   #8
kichimark
Μολὼν λαβέ

Ah the old picture was hosted on photobucket. This should work now of the old reef.

That is one sweet dragon. Put me down for a baby whenever it happens. I actually sealed a deal on another eastern indigo for my growing collection. Those guys are amazing and beautiful if you have never seen them. We have the large Pomona reptile show here and it gets packed but I rarely go anymore. I already have what I need and sometimes I can get much better bloodlines online which is very true with eastern indigos.

It is also true regarding the easier care of reptiles. Sure you got some herps that are more demanding but it is not like you go in and test alk every day haha. That is one reason why my new nano is stocked with just mushrooms and zoas for the most part since they are very forgiving. It also takes just a few minutes to clean the tank compared to the 100g haha.

Do you plan on getting out completely when you sell the tank? I imagine you stocked up on some real nice stuff over the years.

Unread 07/20/2017, 10:20 AM   #9
650-IS350
Registered Member

Yes strongly contemplating it, especially when I start going on longer vacations.

Indigo reminds me of a mamba. At least yours is non-venomous.

I still have NIB sitting around like a A350WE, Koralin 1502, pH meters, I have Vortec MP10s and Tunze power heads that I intermix and take out.

Just picked up a used 4ftx24x18 enclosure and got a Pastel dragon that has MBD that I need to nurse back to health before I donate him to new forever home