rpjaws74
Registered Member

awesome info and great looking zoas

Current Tank Info: 500 glln system/ Reef
rpjaws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2016, 02:56 PM   #53
mukota
Registered Member

Lots of great info found in one place, thank you!

mukota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 11:39 AM   #54
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinijoe View Post
Those are awesome looking zoa
Thank You

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655153

You do not want to miss any!

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon, 45 Gallon, 29 Gallon, 20 Gallon, 20 Gallon #2, 10 Gallon
that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 11:39 AM   #55
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjaws74 View Post
awesome info and great looking zoas
Thank You

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon, 45 Gallon, 29 Gallon, 20 Gallon, 20 Gallon #2, 10 Gallon
Unread 08/18/2016, 11:40 AM   #56
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukota View Post
Lots of great info found in one place, thank you!
Your Welcome

Unread 08/24/2016, 12:36 PM   #57
HarlequinAddict
Registered Member

Hey dude, nice zoas! But obviously this can't be achieved with a master reefer taking care of them. Dude I wanna start my own zoa garden like yours, but I got a few questions. The bayer dip how long do you leave the zoa colony in the bayer liquid and when they finish their dip do you wash it off before putting it in the tank? So how can I get these nitrates without fish? I know about the reef roids I won't target feed because that becomes time consuming, especially with a garden. So you feed them everyday. How much reef roids do you put everyday? I use phytofeast as my source of plankton. Its really concentrated stuff. How many caps do you recommend I put in? The tank I wanna use for the garden is a rectangular prism. How many times a week should I dose alkalinity? I use reef fusion 1 and 2. So how many caps per day? How frequently do you do water changes and how many gallons should I replace with the water change for a 20 gallon? How do I get the nitrates high with no fish? I know how to get the phosphates high... Easy, reef roids! Dude, and lastly THANK YOU for this guide. I wanna start the garden to see if this can be a means of income. Does the same thing apply with palys?

Last edited by HarlequinAddict; 08/24/2016 at 12:42 PM.
HarlequinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 04:30 PM   #58
nmotz
Registered Member

Really good stuff, and I agree very much about how higher light benefits zoas. Mine browned out because I stuck them in a dim corner of the tank, but when I brought them more central they started to dazzle again. In fact, I have yet to find a coral that doesn't enjoy higher light actually. They just don't want it all at once. You have to acclimate to high light conditions. But once you do, watch out, they grow fast!

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2016, 08:53 AM   #59
mpyers
Registered Member

How strict is the no butterfly rule? I'm considering getting one for aiptasia control. I don't have zoas yet but i plan to because they're my favorite. Im new at this.

mpyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2016, 10:35 PM   #60
CLR
Registered Member

Great information , thanks for posting , definitely looking out for pox now !

CLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2016, 09:40 PM   #61
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Thanks for posting!! Good thread.

I still would like to know more about the definition of "dirty water" by many.
Everyone has they preferred level of dirty in they water...
What would be "dirty" in the water?
Why would you think that?
Who invented that?

Also I can't understand those dark blue tanks...
Is that the light you guys have all day long?
Is that LEDs? Or T5s?
I'm getting older. LOL!!!!

Cheers!
Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2016, 12:54 PM   #62
blasterman789
Registered Member

The fastest growth I've had from Paly / Zoa gardens is with nitrate levels well north of 10ppm, and dosing the tank with 'protein slurries'. Basically I drop a cube of frozen brine shrimp or beef heart in a blender, grind it until particles are too small to be visible, and dump it in the tank with filters / skimmer off for a day.

Acropora isn't really happy about this, but Zoas / Palys respond with astonishing growth rates and acan's certainly don't complain. Gobstoppers being cut and growing a new heads in two weeks. Even tricky varities like blue hornets growing like weeds. I then skim like crazy after a day just so nitrate doesn't get too crazy, although once your garden tank starts getting really dense it will devour the protein cloud and go to crystal clear in a few hours.

blasterman789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 10:47 PM   #63
ohmygod
Registered Member

ur the zoa man. how fast ur zoanthid grow? I feel like they feel better happier when my water a bit dirty

ohmygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2016, 11:30 PM   #64
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterman789 View Post
The fastest growth I've had from Paly / Zoa gardens is with nitrate levels well north of 10ppm, and dosing the tank with 'protein slurries'. Basically I drop a cube of frozen brine shrimp or beef heart in a blender, grind it until particles are too small to be visible, and dump it in the tank with filters / skimmer off for a day.

Acropora isn't really happy about this, but Zoas / Palys respond with astonishing growth rates and acan's certainly don't complain. Gobstoppers being cut and growing a new heads in two weeks. Even tricky varities like blue hornets growing like weeds. I then skim like crazy after a day just so nitrate doesn't get too crazy, although once your garden tank starts getting really dense it will devour the protein cloud and go to crystal clear in a few hours.
Zoas and other cnidarians can actually tolerate relatively high nitrates... Ideal? Maybe not. Not all the time...

So in your tank you put all that protein and so on just to have the zoas cleaning all that up without any further problems?
No algae problems? No toxicity to fish? No problems at all?
Wow! How many years are you doing that without any problems to that particular tank? I assume you are doing water changes and cleaning that substrate at least, if you have one.
I also assume that you would have an oversized skimmer to help keep the animals alive in the system, after all that being introduced like that.
Is your water smelling bad?
What filtrations you apply?
Please let us know more about that feeding technics...

By the way... THAT is dirty water!

Keep in mind that not all that you're "feeding" that system will be absorbed by the zoanthids nor corals!!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 09/24/2016, 01:19 AM   #65
cubbyman60
Registered Member

Great thread. What kind of lights are you using? What about schedule? They look like their all pretty close to the surface?
Thanks.

cubbyman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2016, 04:58 PM   #66
mountainraised
Registered Member

What amount of wattage do zoas like under LED? Is there a general rule of thumb?

mountainraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 01:27 AM   #67
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainraised View Post
What amount of wattage do zoas like under LED? Is there a general rule of thumb?
That will depend on your fixture, system, species...
Yep, no rule of thumb. Sorry.

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 09/30/2016, 10:28 AM   #68
mountainraised
Registered Member

What do you dose daily on your tanks?

mountainraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2016, 01:03 AM   #69
hitawaah
Registered Member

Awesome tips man I got a 300 gallon tank I'm setting up and was really liking zoos. . But I didn't have as much info in everything I've read so far, as what you put in your first post. Thanks for the info keep up the good work man!!

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

hitawaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2016, 06:40 AM   #70
blasterman789
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Grandis View Post
Zoas and other cnidarians can actually tolerate relatively high nitrates... Ideal? Maybe not. Not all the time...

So in your tank you put all that protein and so on just to have the zoas cleaning all that up without any further problems?
No algae problems? No toxicity to fish? No problems at all?
Wow! How many years are you doing that without any problems to that particular tank? I assume you are doing water changes and cleaning that substrate at least, if you have one.
I also assume that you would have an oversized skimmer to help keep the animals alive in the system, after all that being introduced like that.
Is your water smelling bad?
What filtrations you apply?
Please let us know more about that feeding technics...

By the way... THAT is dirty water!

Keep in mind that not all that you're "feeding" that system will be absorbed by the zoanthids nor corals!!

Grandis.
See the original post that started this thread about "feed feed feed" before bugging me about it. When I've been snorkeling in the ocean on vacation (florida) I took note of zoanthid colonies being densest around sewer runoffs, stagnant areas etc. The main problem with a high nutrient tank is keeping pH elevated, but that can be accomplished with Kalk. I'm otherwise a water change minimalist mainly because I'm not a fan of sidewalk de-icer (calcium chloride) as the only only source of ionic calcium in commercial mixes which in my opinion displaces suspended calcium carbonate as the preferred source of calcium by corals. I also use generous iodine dosing.

I have a link to a 6month old garden tank here I started here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2600946
Note the water is crystal clear and there's no nuisance algae.

I also don't tell people to get rid of their LEDs and use T5's to grow zaos.

blasterman789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 01:55 AM   #71
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterman789 View Post
See the original post that started this thread about "feed feed feed" before bugging me about it. When I've been snorkeling in the ocean on vacation (florida) I took note of zoanthid colonies being densest around sewer runoffs, stagnant areas etc. The main problem with a high nutrient tank is keeping pH elevated, but that can be accomplished with Kalk. I'm otherwise a water change minimalist mainly because I'm not a fan of sidewalk de-icer (calcium chloride) as the only only source of ionic calcium in commercial mixes which in my opinion displaces suspended calcium carbonate as the preferred source of calcium by corals. I also use generous iodine dosing.

I have a link to a 6month old garden tank here I started here.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2600946
Note the water is crystal clear and there's no nuisance algae.

I also don't tell people to get rid of their LEDs and use T5's to grow zaos.

I'm very sorry for bugging you about feeding. Very, very sorry!
I'm the guy who are the feeder here for many years and keep telling our friends in this forum and others about feeding their zoas in the first place.
I'm the guys who gets fired for doing that!!

I'm glad you did your little visit to Florida and observed those cute sewer runoff sites. Aren't they wonderful? Hope you didn't swallow anything from those waters.

But I'm here to tell you that the stuff you're adding to your tank is very close to the sewer crap you experienced in Florida. Are you happy for that? Do you think that's a complement? I'm also here to tell you that you can and should try to feed your zoas better and cleaner. That's because I'm the guys who actually tell people to feed their polyps for years here and in other forums, you know?

Well, just let me know how things are after couple of years doing what you're doing, ok? Not 6 months... My current zoa system is only 8 years+ old and I think I went through all those years pretty good without any kind of crash just because I'm not trying to resemble any Florida's sewer runoff. Maybe that's why.

Eh, sorry for bugging you again!!

Make sure you have those LEDs for long time too and keep that tank crystal clear without any water changes!

*I'm just glad we all can express our thoughts here to try help others!*

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!

Last edited by A. Grandis; 10/04/2016 at 02:12 AM.
Unread 10/04/2016, 02:17 AM   #72
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyers View Post
How strict is the no butterfly rule? I'm considering getting one for aiptasia control. I don't have zoas yet but i plan to because they're my favorite. Im new at this.
You can get a Copperband. It's a hit and miss.
Some of them will eat all the visible aiptasia and then they go for the zoas.
Good luck!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 10/04/2016, 03:47 AM   #73
Grimreaperz
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm very sorry for bugging you about feeding. Very, very sorry!
I'm the guy who are the feeder here for many years and keep telling our friends in this forum and others about feeding their zoas in the first place.
I'm the guys who gets fired for doing that!!

I'm glad you did your little visit to Florida and observed those cute sewer runoff sites. Aren't they wonderful? Hope you didn't swallow anything from those waters.

But I'm here to tell you that the stuff you're adding to your tank is very close to the sewer crap you experienced in Florida. Are you happy for that? Do you think that's a complement? I'm also here to tell you that you can and should try to feed your zoas better and cleaner. That's because I'm the guys who actually tell people to feed their polyps for years here and in other forums, you know?

Well, just let me know how things are after couple of years doing what you're doing, ok? Not 6 months... My current zoa system is only 8 years+ old and I think I went through all those years pretty good without any kind of crash just because I'm not trying to resemble any Florida's sewer runoff. Maybe that's why.

Eh, sorry for bugging you again!!

Make sure you have those LEDs for long time too and keep that tank crystal clear without any water changes!

*I'm just glad we all can express our thoughts here to try help others!*

Grandis.
Way to ruin a perfectly good debate thread with arrogant narrow-mindedness. Just because someone way isn't the what you believe to be the right way. Doesn't mean it is wrong. He is having success right now he wanted to share it with the rest of us. Probably for the beginners. And for the chance to hear others stories and plan of action. Yes you may have a tank for 8+ years but that's the way you have obviously found success. I have realized there are 1000 ways to do the same thing in this hobby all with the same level of success. Instead of ridiculing and being condescending why not offer rationally thought out solutions and proof/evidence of your success.
So us beginners can take everyone advice and try our own version of success. Because right now it's turning into a he said she said scenario. This hobby is made to be our own experience. We take others success and advice and take the elements that work for us.

Sorry it's just this type of attitude from ppl in these type of threads that's think that no other way but their own is the right way. T5 and LEDs does it really matter as long as they are alive and shining bright. Its like in PCs AMD or Intel...both have pros and cons.
does it really matter as long as it does what you need within your budget/space requirements..Everyone has their opinion. It's about how we present it.

As far as the write up super glad to see success I recently acquired 6 different types of zoathnthids/palythoas and will be starting a rock garden of some sort. Keep us posted with the growth! Only thing I would make a note on is 6 lines can tend to get really aggressive as adults so I have heard. timing on introduction is key. And be careful what you keep with it. It's really hit or miss. But they are great cleaners.

I haven't dosed anything but I do feed a lot. And my Space Monsters popped 4 heads in 3 weeks. Started with 2 and now have 6. Feeling good!

I have mine placed under a cheap 150 Amazon LED 300w dual channel light.

Blues running 100% 10hrs
Whites 75% 8hr.

Light is hung 8inch from tank.
Racks are placed underneath light at mid/top rear tank.

I am feeding a mixture of
LPS Pellets - crushed in tank water
Spectrum Pellets - crushed in tank water
Flake food - ground between fingers into tiny bits
Freeze dried brine shrimp - 1/4 cube crushed between fingers
Frozen mysis - mashed in tank water
Frozen Calanrus - mashed in tank water - most recent addition they seem to react more to this stuff then anything else!

I don't feed everything all at once. One day I'll do a feeding of small amounts of 2 types the next day I'll use different 2. This is to make sure the other critters in my tank don't become picky eaters.

Here are the pics I have on my phone I'll get more when the lights are on.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Grimreaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 12:31 PM   #74
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreaperz View Post
Way to ruin a perfectly good debate thread with arrogant narrow-mindedness. Just because someone way isn't the what you believe to be the right way. Doesn't mean it is wrong. He is having success right now he wanted to share it with the rest of us. Probably for the beginners. And for the chance to hear others stories and plan of action. Yes you may have a tank for 8+ years but that's the way you have obviously found success. I have realized there are 1000 ways to do the same thing in this hobby all with the same level of success. Instead of ridiculing and being condescending why not offer rationally thought out solutions and proof/evidence of your success.
So us beginners can take everyone advice and try our own version of success. Because right now it's turning into a he said she said scenario. This hobby is made to be our own experience. We take others success and advice and take the elements that work for us.

Sorry it's just this type of attitude from ppl in these type of threads that's think that no other way but their own is the right way. T5 and LEDs does it really matter as long as they are alive and shining bright. Its like in PCs AMD or Intel...both have pros and cons.
does it really matter as long as it does what you need within your budget/space requirements..Everyone has their opinion. It's about how we present it.

As far as the write up super glad to see success I recently acquired 6 different types of zoathnthids/palythoas and will be starting a rock garden of some sort. Keep us posted with the growth! Only thing I would make a note on is 6 lines can tend to get really aggressive as adults so I have heard. timing on introduction is key. And be careful what you keep with it. It's really hit or miss. But they are great cleaners.

I haven't dosed anything but I do feed a lot. And my Space Monsters popped 4 heads in 3 weeks. Started with 2 and now have 6. Feeling good!

I have mine placed under a cheap 150 Amazon LED 300w dual channel light.

Blues running 100% 10hrs
Whites 75% 8hr.

Light is hung 8inch from tank.
Racks are placed underneath light at mid/top rear tank.

I am feeding a mixture of
LPS Pellets - crushed in tank water
Spectrum Pellets - crushed in tank water
Flake food - ground between fingers into tiny bits
Freeze dried brine shrimp - 1/4 cube crushed between fingers
Frozen mysis - mashed in tank water
Frozen Calanrus - mashed in tank water - most recent addition they seem to react more to this stuff then anything else!

I don't feed everything all at once. One day I'll do a feeding of small amounts of 2 types the next day I'll use different 2. This is to make sure the other critters in my tank don't become picky eaters.

Here are the pics I have on my phone I'll get more when the lights are on.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I really made you write up didn't I? Haha!!
This is just a hobby! I was having fun with you the whole time!!!
Don't take my stings in the wrong way, kid!
Good luck with your feeding schedule and don't be too serious.
Not worthy to get too hot. Haha!!!

You know why? I don't care!

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 10/04/2016, 05:43 PM   #75
Grimreaperz
Registered Member

Quote:
I really made you write up didn't I? Haha!!

You know why? I don't care!

Grandis.
Then why are you here???

We tend to come to these forums for ppl that care and want to give unbiased advice
Not arrogant know it alls. that think there way is the only way.

Grimreaperz is offline   Reply With Quote