Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2015, 09:38 AM   #176
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

That is a great set up for white tip reef sharks. It's not a good black tip reef shark tank at all. You can see it in the way they kick when they are forced to make the tight turn. The jerking, one directional kick is hard on the spinal column. They need enough room to make full lateral swings of the caudal fin (tail) when making a turn. It might not show right away, but by the time you see the physical damage, it will be too late for the sharks.

Unread 01/22/2015, 12:41 PM   #177
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Can someone with first hand knowledge tell me how large a California horn shark will get? I have read several books now and they all say something different and honestly it's kind of irritating. One book says 40" but then has a disclaimer that most don't get over 30-33" another book claims closer to 48" is max with most getting about 40-42". Such conflicting information out there and it seems that there are only a few active members here that keep sharks or have any knowledge about them. I just recently went to the public aquarium near me and the had 3 port Jackson sharks roughly 2ft each I. A tank that couldn't of been over 200g. I realize they have the knowledge and space to move the sharks when need be but it surprised me to see 3 in what I would consider a small tank.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 04:49 PM   #178
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Can someone with first hand knowledge tell me how large a California horn shark will get? I have read several books now and they all say something different and honestly it's kind of irritating. One book says 40" but then has a disclaimer that most don't get over 30-33" another book claims closer to 48" is max with most getting about 40-42". Such conflicting information out there and it seems that there are only a few active members here that keep sharks or have any knowledge about them. I just recently went to the public aquarium near me and the had 3 port Jackson sharks roughly 2ft each I. A tank that couldn't of been over 200g. I realize they have the knowledge and space to move the sharks when need be but it surprised me to see 3 in what I would consider a small tank.
Depends. The reason for the variation in sizes is due to the range of locations you can find them (temp range). It is very typical of horn sharks that you find in a range of temps. Port Jacksons get much bigger than most think. They can get into the 5 foot range. Cali horns will be 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 ft in most cases.

And sad to say, some aquariums aren't great examples of shark husbandry.

Unread 01/22/2015, 05:53 PM   #179
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoodiver View Post
Depends. The reason for the variation in sizes is due to the range of locations you can find them (temp range). It is very typical of horn sharks that you find in a range of temps. Port Jacksons get much bigger than most think. They can get into the 5 foot range. Cali horns will be 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 ft in most cases.

And sad to say, some aquariums aren't great examples of shark husbandry.
Thanks for the reply Zoodiver. Yeah needless to say I wasn't impressed nor did I think what I witnessed with the port Jackson was representative of something that should be duplicated. As far as the Cali horn sharks go its good to hear they for the most part don't get over 3.5ft.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 01/22/2015, 09:13 PM   #180
alprazo
Registered Member

When you read max size, these are typically records or near records for the species. It doesn't mean that your shark will grow that big. It is like saying the **** sapien can growth up to 7 ft in height and weight over 1000 lbs. all true but uncommon.

I have seen many Cali horns in the 3 ft range. Do realize that growth rates of sharks are accelerated in the captive setting. The will often reach the size of maturity quicker than the wild counterpart, though that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be sexually mature at that size.

Edit. I can't believe that our genus is blocked and replaced with **** when typing it. How pathetic. Another great example of the absurdity of political correctness.

Last edited by alprazo; 01/22/2015 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Totally unbelievable
alprazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 09:32 PM   #181
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alprazo View Post
When you read max size, these are typically records or near records for the species. It doesn't mean that your shark will grow that big. It is like saying the **** sapien can growth up to 7 ft in height and weight over 1000 lbs. all true but uncommon.

I have seen many Cali horns in the 3 ft range. Do realize that growth rates of sharks are accelerated in the captive setting. The will often reach the size of maturity quicker than the wild counterpart, though that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be sexually mature at that size.

Edit. I can't believe that our genus is blocked and replaced with **** when typing it. How pathetic. Another great example of the absurdity of political correctness.
I understand what your saying, lower temps help slow growth rates to a point too correct? When I first read your post with the **** I was at a loss for what was suppose to be there then I read further and realized it does the same things with other words that they don't want you to say on here. Matt thanks for the info on the book now I have to figure out how to navigate MFK and start reading...

Unread 01/23/2015, 04:30 PM   #182
Zoodiver
As seen on TV

Average temps and food supply will both factor in to growth rate along with genetics.

Unread 01/29/2015, 02:14 PM   #183
TNTtropical
Registered Member

As a captive breader of horn sharks for quite some time i can attest that typically they grow to around 3 feet, although i did have a large male for a long time that reached a lengh of 40 inches.

TNTtropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2015, 02:18 PM   #184
TNTtropical
Registered Member

The sizes i just ref were of my cali horn shark breeding program i had years back.

Unread 01/29/2015, 09:38 PM   #185
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTtropical View Post
The sizes i just ref were of my cali horn shark breeding program i had years back.
You still have said breeding program

Unread 01/30/2015, 10:27 AM   #186
TNTtropical
Registered Member

yes i used to breed them back in the day.

Unread 06/12/2015, 07:00 PM   #187
MasterMason_357
Registered Member

hmmm

MasterMason_357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 08:38 PM   #188
thax
Registered Member

would any sharks fit in a 6x 3x 2 tank?

thax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2015, 08:41 PM   #189
alprazo
Registered Member

Chain cats

Unread 07/04/2015, 12:45 AM   #190
Jonathan1992
Registered Member

I've had a bamboo shark. They are very messy but if you have the right filtration they are cool to have.

Jonathan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 03:37 PM   #191
Reef1ruler
Registered Member

I have two brown banded cat sharks in a 300 gallon pool in my basement. I keep a large naso tang, a clownfish, a pinktail trigger, and a sailfin tang in there also. They have all been happy together for the last year and a half(knock on wood).

Reef1ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 10:34 PM   #192
Harse Designs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobzking View Post
She didn't make it through the night
Sorry to hear looking to do a build similar

Harse Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 10:36 PM   #193
Harse Designs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef1ruler View Post
I have two brown banded cat sharks in a 300 gallon pool in my basement. I keep a large naso tang, a clownfish, a pinktail trigger, and a sailfin tang in there also. They have all been happy together for the last year and a half(knock on wood).
Lol any sec could turn left lol but I'm thinkin of keep aussie tusk with port jackson or might do a black tip

Harse Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 05:36 PM   #194
WOLFDAY
Registered Member

Hello everyone, Im wolf and I'm almost ready for add the sharks to my tank. I'm interested in smooth hounds and dog chain sharks. So with that being said can someone point me in the direction of shark experts or knowledgeable suppliers of sharks. This will be a shark only environment. I'm not interested in reef coral and other creatures although they are absolutely beautiful. I'm in the market for a male and a female depending on what adult size that they will become. Thank you in advance for your help....WOLF

475 GALLON, TWO 75 GALLON SUMPS
WOLFDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2015, 07:19 PM   #195
alprazo
Registered Member

See the reply in your initial post.

Unread 01/12/2016, 09:33 AM   #196
adam.sandor88
Registered Member

Hey all, I am kind of new to the world of sharks but I am trying to drink from the fire hose of knowledge you have.
I want to start by saying im NOT setting anything up until I move.
I have a 300G rectangle acrylic tank. Im going to run a 75G sump with a MASSIVE skimmer (not decided yet), 2500GPH pump with a zevit RX-z 3.0L reactor.

Id really like a Marble cat or 2. Im thinking 3' sand bed with maybe so GHA in the sump with tons of Live rock, In the display tank I will have enough for them to hide in (secured tightly).
am I on the right track guys? any tips?

adam.sandor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 09:38 PM   #197
alprazo
Registered Member

For sharks, live rock will not be your primary source of biological filtration. Small swimming pool sand filters or koi bead filters are a much better option. They are great water polishers/clarifiers too, easy for water changes. Save your money on rock/ lighting and the depth of your sand bed and put it to skimming, a filter with pump, and salt.

Unread 01/15/2016, 09:23 AM   #198
B91302
Registered Member

I have a question, will the following fish be able to coexist together well in a 375gallon aquarium?

1 Panther Grouper
1 Stingray (any ideas on type?)
1 Snowflake Eel
1 Marbled Bamboo Shark
1 Black Banded Cat Shark

Thanks for the help!

B91302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2016, 09:44 AM   #199
alprazo
Registered Member

For a 375, stick with cat sharks. The coral, marbled, or the Bali are you best bets. The brown banded gets rather large. A gray bamboo or Arabian are smaller options. As for fish it is hit or miss. I've never had luck period. So I avoid all fish. I know others that have with your selections. Groupers are ridiculous aggressive feeders though and may out compete the Sharks. As for the ray, the Cortez is a good small ray but they like the temps a little lower. Avoid torpedoes and blue spotted ribbon tail rays, they have a bad track record.

Unread 01/15/2016, 08:47 PM   #200
krj-1168
Registered Member

Agreed - for a 375 gallon tank, the tropical catsharks, and smaller bamboos are the best choice. Every other shark will out grow this tank.

But then it also depends on the exact shape and dimensions of the 375 gallon.

Tags
catshark, elasmobranch, shark