Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2019, 02:06 AM   #1
Elijahh
Registered Member

Does this Red Goni have a chance

I got this red Goni a week ago, it hasn’t opened at all and now I’m now wondering if it ever will open. It’s in medium flow and lighting and was on the sand bed but I moved it up an inch onto a rock.
Tank parameters are good and all other corals are fine and growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2019, 08:08 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Goni rarely lasts in captivity for more than a year.
This is one of the most challenging coral to keep.
It is very sensitive to lighting changes where I would place my bet on why it has nit opened.
They are not tolerant of anything less than perfect, on-point water chemistry.
Needs to be spot fed regularly.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Reef Frog
Registered Member

The tissue still appears to be intact, so it may well still have a chance. Keep the light on the low to medium side. Gentle undulating currents from both sides is ideal. Strong flow from one direction is undesirable. I can remember one of mine took quite a while for the tentacles to pop out & even longer to fully extend. When happy, they will grow fairly quickly, to you will probably need to supplement & maintain Ca/Alk/Mg levels. If your levels are sub par, I'd begin correcting that right away. With my initial frags, I glued them to a flat rock as sand on the tissue isn't a good thing imo.

While some gonis are indeed difficult to keep long term, others are very hardy. It seems the green varieties are the ones that have earned the reputation as nearly impossible to keep alive long term (I've lost one).

They are great corals, often a show piece in a reef. You have great color and movement all in one package. There are other examples of successful Goni keepers on RC.

In the US, an aquaculture facility called ORA in Florida has sold their captive bred "Red" variety for a long time & they're a proven winner. I've had two and both were some of the most hardy stony corals I've ever kept. I'm not sure if other red colored specimens that come from other sources are the same species/morphs & will prove to be as equally hardy however. A local LFS has a display tank with a non-ORA beauty, red with gold speckles, that's been alive & growing for several years. So while I'm sure ORA can't ship to Australia, you might have some luck with yours. It's not over til it over. Best of luck!

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2019, 03:42 AM   #4
Elijahh
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. As of today it’s still looking the same, it’s in mid light and flow so will so how it goes. I just spot fed my corals some roids and the Gonis mouths opened up to eat, so maybe not all is lost.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2019, 06:39 PM   #5
ChronicReefH2o
Registered Member

Keep an eye on the Goni and see how it does. As far as I can see, the coral looks to be in good shape for now.

ChronicReefH2o is offline   Reply With Quote